Thread: Adding to Your Wrap

User Info Menu

Default Adding to Your Wrap

Hey All,
    I have a Starion starter kit that someone gave to me for free and I was interested in adding to the wrap in some way. It just has a simple black wrap right now that doesn't look bad, but is pretty plain. I was thinking of adding a stripe or something to it to spice it up, but the only thing I can think of is using duct tape and I don't think that would look very good. Any Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Adding to Your Wrap

For a cheap way of adding some cool pinstripes to that black wrap, visit an automotive parts store or look online for some pinstriping vinyl. Comes in every color imaginable and a bunch of different thicknesses as well. If you don't like it after awhile, you can peel it off and go back to the basic black again. You can be as creative as you want to be with this stuff. Duct tape=BAD. Vinyl pinstripes=GOOD. Rock on and welcome to Drumchat!
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Ah, great idea. I will definitely try that out. Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading it long enough I figured I should finally join in.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat SparrowBeat!

Given what you were thinking about, I think ntn2it nailed it for you. I've seen people do collages of different thinks, but it wouldn't be easy to go back if you wanted. The vinyl pinstripe is an excellent idea. BTW, I used it on a car in the '70's and it was super easy to do (if you're not going for extra fancy).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah I agree with the pinstripes they go on easy with water and come off I think with a heat gun or water but not sure about the taking it off though.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 02-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Painter's tape, white art tape will all do the job and leave little adhesive, easily removeable, especially from existing, black, glossy wrap. Did this once, didn't like it-didn't work well with the kick mounted, fake rocket launcher tubes!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I was thinkin about takin the flame grill from a truck an cut out the flames and wrap that around my drums, it would be alittle pricy but i think it would look cool.

User Info Menu

Starion kits are not a high resale value kit do i would say you could even slowly use a metalic sharpie.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

That's very true. I might give that a try on a small section and see how it turns out.

User Info Menu

ntn2it probably nailed it on the head.

What I did was remove the wrap altogether and apply lacquer to my shells, along with spray painting my hoops, lugs bass drum spurs etc. black. It certainly came out better that the cheap blue wrap it came with. A bit more work and money, but, well worth it IMO if lacquer finishes are your thing! I'll post some pictures when I get home.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    ntn2it probably nailed it on the head.

What I did was remove the wrap altogether and apply lacquer to my shells, along with spray painting my hoops, lugs bass drum spurs etc. black. It certainly came out better that the cheap blue wrap it came with. A bit more work and money, but, well worth it IMO if lacquer finishes are your thing! I'll post some pictures when I get home.
    Thanks man. I thought about doing that, but I had someone tell me the wrap acts almost like a ply and it will change the sound when you take it off. Did you experience that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowBeat View Post
    Thanks man. I thought about doing that, but I had someone tell me the wrap acts almost like a ply and it will change the sound when you take it off. Did you experience that?
    Nah mate, I didn't notice any difference in sound when I removed the wrap. To be fair, they were quite cheap drums and never sounded too crash hot to begin with, chipped bearing edges and mounting through the shell and all that. If your kit is a "starter kit", I wouldn't think there'd be a noticeable difference in sound, I wouldn't worry.

User Info Menu

Stickers?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Another possible option, remove the wrap, sand, tung oil the insides and stain them! I did that with a kit.

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Maybe mount one of these to each side of the bass drum...lol. I was going to do that.

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-05-2013 at 09:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Maybe mount one of these to each side of the bass drum...lol. I was going to do that.

Sick idea!! Maybe roll some fog out of the pipes?
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Nah mate, I didn't notice any difference in sound when I removed the wrap. To be fair, they were quite cheap drums and never sounded too crash hot to begin with, chipped bearing edges and mounting through the shell and all that. If your kit is a "starter kit", I wouldn't think there'd be a noticeable difference in sound, I wouldn't worry.
    Alright awesome. I think I'll try to do that in the future. Thanks man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Another possible option, remove the wrap, sand, tung oil the insides and stain them! I did that with a kit.

That turned out great, Olimpass. I'm seriously considering doing something like that.