Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Beginner Songs to Learn???

User Info Menu

Default Slow Beginner Songs to Learn???

Hey, I'm a beginner drummer, I started about 6 months ago but just started playing again. I've been trying to learn the basics over again. I've gotten down stick handling and drum pedaling but I just can't maintain quick beats. I feel like that means I suck at drumming but I'm not quitting because I'm determined to get good. I want to practice slower songs now to see if I'm better at that. not too slow, but definitely slower than AC/DC and things such as that. A good example would be Sing In Silence-Sonata Arctica. If you could help and give me slow, simple songs to play, that would help loads. Thanks, and Good Drumming.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slow Beginner Songs to Learn???

I was actually going to suggest acdc because of the simple beats. Try looking at Pink Floyd - Another brick in the wall part 2. Nice and simple. If that's the style you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'm a beginner too so maybe I'm wrong but The Beatles, Kiss and U2 come to mind.

User Info Menu

The only thing that will make you faster is building up muscle condition through practice. it doesn't mean you don't have the ability or talent. On the flip side, I know drummers that can play plenty fast but have no taste or don't play with any feeling or groove. The physical aspects of drumming will develop in time, so don't worry too much about that. I would suggest maybe trying some slow Blues. The physical requirements should be fairly easy, but it will help you develop a sense of timing and groove. As you can tell by my screen name, I'm probably biased, LOL. You could also buy a students book and practice rudiments on a regular basis. All you need is a pair of sticks and a practice pad. Stick with it! (No pun intended).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Back In Black by ACDC is simple and pretty slow.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not comfortable with AC/DC songs. For some reason, I know this sounds super *****y and stupid, but Back In Black and other songs by AC/DC are too fast quick for me at the moment. I just started again and need to start from slow to fast.

User Info Menu

Try Googling "slow rock ballads". Ready for Love by Bad Co. Comes to mind. Also, numerous versions of Bob Dylan's classic, Knocking on Heavens Door.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

"Red House"-Hendrix
    "Mary Jane's Last Dance"-Petty
    "Stop"-Bonamassa
    "Black Nights"-Bonamassa
    "Simple Man"-Skynyrd
    "Whiter Shade of Pale"-Procol Harum
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Tom Petty - You Don't Know How It Feels -is super slow and really basic. There are literally no changes in this song so it will also help you with maintaining tempo

User Info Menu

Definitely look at some April wine songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Scorpions - Winds of Change is a great rock ballad. Also, very slow tempo and easy to play.

Tex

User Info Menu

If you want slow songs, check out blue's songs on YouTube.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

If you are just starting out and intend to teach yourself drums personally I would recommend that you buy a tuition book/cd combo specifically designed for people starting out from scratch. They start out slow and simple and give examples of very basic beats, fills and rudiments and have instructions on how to sight read sheet music for drums. Some have simple songs to play along to - the idea is to learn a few basic beats and fills and then play short and simple songs incorporating what you have learned. As you progress through these instructional programs you will be able to identify songs that you will be able to play from what you have learned.

I don't know where you live but - in the UK there is a course of songbooks/CDs or download cards called Rockschool. They are graded Debut,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8. These start out slow and simple (at about 80 bpm) and get progressively faster and/or more technically demanding as you progress through the different levels. Try looking into one of these types of courses for songs to play - but try to split your time 50/50 between working on the exercises/rudiments aspect and playing songs for enjoyment.

Some of the songs in these tuitional programs are pretty crappy and probably not the style of music that you would want to play through personal choice - but don't be deterred anything you learn from these courses is relevant and can be applied to playing the music you enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Try Googling "slow rock ballads". Ready for Love by Bad Co. Comes to mind. Also, numerous versions of Bob Dylan's classic, Knocking on Heavens Door.
    Thank you. There are a lot of great songs on a couple of the lists I've seen. I'm only 14 but I love classic and slow rock more than anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    Tom Petty - You Don't Know How It Feels -is super slow and really basic. There are literally no changes in this song so it will also help you with maintaining tempo
    Thank you. I don't know why I didn't look into Tom Petty. He's got to be up there in my favorite musicians list.

User Info Menu

Check Booker T & the M G 's "Green Onions" that's a slow ** 8beat **

User Info Menu

Slower songs are harder... Stick with the AC/DC. Focus on keeping the hihats going, then adding the kick drum on beats 1 and 3, while still playing the hihats. Then work on the snare on 2 and 4, while still playing the hihats. Then try putting it all together. Good luck

DONT

FORGET

TO COUNT
    Last edited by Kazaamski; 02-14-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

To the two newbies: DON'T GIVE UP!

Everybody starts out feeling awkward and stupid. As has been pointed out, it's all a matter of repetition to develop "muscle memory." Doing different things with each limb simultaneously is just not in our nature and has to be repeatedly practiced.

Take it as slow as you need.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Slower songs are harder... Stick with the AC/DC. Focus on keeping the hihats going, then adding the kick drum on beats 1 and 3, while still playing the hihats. Then work on the snare on 2 and 4, while still playing the hihats. Then try putting it all together. Good luck

DONT

FORGET

TO COUNT
    I know that beat, it's relatively easy. I could play it with my hands behind my back and my legs tied together but it's speed only. I appreciate the help, but for me, slower songs are just easier. I don't want to play slower songs, but as someone else said, you go from slow, simple songs and progressively go faster. I'm sorry if you don't learn that way, but i do.

User Info Menu

It's almost pointless for me to make my suggestion as it's been mentioned numerous times already, but here goes..... AC/DC. Pretty much ANY of their songs is a good starting point for learning simple 4/4 beats. With those songs, you're pretty much just a straight time keeper. No crazy fills around the drum set either.

Happy playing.

User Info Menu

Older Eagles stuff worked for me......

User Info Menu

Hey everyone, that's a good thread!
    I'm a beginner too, playing since 1 Year and 1 Month but I had some breaks from drumming in this time either I had some little injuries or I just gave up cause I'm still selftaught, down on the flu since 3 Weeks and the time to manage finding a new teacher before the 1st of April is almost over.

Don't get me wrong I'm actually pretty ambitious and I have big goals to reach with my Drumming but all the bad luck I have drives me crazy in 5 Months and 25 Days I already turn 20 and I have nothing managed on my drumming.

• The Stick slips in my Hands and I lose it sometimes.
    • My Timing is so awful, I play Rudiments on 45 BPM but I'm still don't very often on the Click maybe between 10 - 40 times within 5 minutes, I normally play 7 Days on the Pad but it didn't get better and if I try to play faster (60 bpm) my fingers get numb and it looks so crampy.

• My Feet isn't on the Click too.

So what should I do?

In the next few weeks I hopefully can set up my little kit and if I can't get lessons cause I run out of time I want not only know how to fix my problems but also how to play the One Drop it sounds like (sorry for the notation I'm not familiar with sightreading):

HH SN HH SN | HH SN KD
    1 2 3 4 1 2 3

Thanks.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

anything by Dream Theatre or Slayer. Just kidding. My vote goes with the AC/DC people here, Simple beat and very good time keeping.

User Info Menu

acdc - highway to hell is pretty basic you can play the straight 4/4 all the way through, and it's a killer song.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Estranged, November Rain (GNR)
    Hotel California (Eagles)