Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splinting drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default Splinting drumsticks

Out of every pair of drumsticks I've ever had, every single pair ends up splinting right in the middle. It looks like a beaver got to them. I know it's from rimshots, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Eventually on that one unlucky rimshot, the stick splits right in half and flies into orbit. More of my sticks break from rimshots than any other reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Splinting drumsticks

you either need to really focus on technique and not hitting rimshots all the time (that will really add dynamics to your playing as well) or, option2: drop your snare stand an inch or so. Option 3: look into replacing the snare hoop with a stick saver hoop.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

the type of wood makes a big difference. Oak verse hickory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    Option 3: look into replacing the snare hoop with a stick saver hoop.
    +1 on this option.

Sonic Saver:

S Hoop (on bottom):

User Info Menu

I'm guessing the term you were looking for was splintering. Tried to imagine having to splint a drumstick. If you're really in that place, I was going to send you $100 so you could buy a brick of sticks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I'm guessing the term you were looking for was splintering. Tried to imagine having to splint a drumstick. If you're really in that place, I was going to send you $100 so you could buy a brick of sticks.
    For a guy who has been designing body replacement parts for orthopedic surgeons all these years, I can see how you read this....bravo!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    More of my sticks break from rimshots than any other reason.
    Mine are chewed into sawdust by hats and cymbals.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

those Mapex sonic savers are no joke!! I have them on my black panther and they are amazing!

User Info Menu

I feel left out. Haven't broken a stick in a long while. Years actually. For me it's more about the tips getting dull from cymbal riding.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have been playing guitar for 30 years without breaking strings, and I somehow managed to make it through my first 3 years of clumsy flailing on the drums without destroying any cymbals, heads, or STICKS---if you keep breaking **** you are doing something wrong

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    the type of wood makes a big difference. Oak verse hickory
    I'm in the midst of trying to prove this to myself. I haven't broken a hickory stick through the shaft or shoulder in a long time, but I'm constantly finding my tips chipped. Those flat sides on the tip don't bounce right and makes for some pretty uneven feeling rolls. So, I'm giving oak a whirl.

Truth on the stick saver style hoops. I don't have any hard data, but my Slingerland snare (with stick savers) seems to put less dents in the shafts than the Super Hoop 2s on my sensitone.
    Last edited by weezy; 06-17-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I'm in the midst of trying to prove this to myself. I haven't broken a hickory stick through the shaft or shoulder in a long time, but I'm constantly finding my tips chipped. Those flat sides on the tip don't bounce right and makes for some pretty uneven feeling rolls. So, I'm giving oak a whirl.
    Nylon tips solve two problems:
    No chips on tips;
    Makes your ride cymbal come alive.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    No chips on tips;
    I'm generally not a fan of nylon tips. Thus I'm trying the oak out first. If it's not up to snuff, I might just have to get used to nylon tips. I'm not really into the feel of nylon tipped sticks though.
    I don't feel that my ride really requires any extra brightness or definition, being an AA extra heavy, but I know what you mean.
    Last edited by weezy; 06-17-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Out of every pair of drumsticks I've ever had, every single pair ends up splinting right in the middle. It looks like a beaver got to them. I know it's from rimshots, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Eventually on that one unlucky rimshot, the stick splits right in half and flies into orbit. More of my sticks break from rimshots than any other reason.
    I think I read on one of your earlier posts that you perform rimshots constantly - if this is the case I think you need to ease off of them. Maybe try practicing playing ghost notes!

+1 on the idea of replacing your Snare hoop with a sonic saver or similar - at the rate you are breaking sticks it should pay for itself pretty quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    No chips on tips;
    +1, I love the sound of nylon tips on my ride..............brighter with more definition.

I've switched to ahead sticks and love them.............over three years now and going strong

User Info Menu

I've been using nylon tipped sticks since the 1970s. Occasionally I'll purchase a few pair of wood tipped sticks and use them a little, but I always go back to the nylon. I love the cymbal sound, pure and simple. The only damage my sticks ever display is caused by the hi hat cymbal offset. I've tried different seat types and every imaginable setting with the bottom cymbal tilt screw, but no matter what I try I always end up with the bottom cymbal extending about 1/4" beyond the top cymbal when played with a stick. When used in the regular hi hat function, the two cymbal edges align perfectly.

So there's a good suggestion for a new invention: a hi hat seat that keeps both cymbals perfectly aligned no matter how the hi hat is used.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    +1 on this option.

Sonic Saver:

I'll have to look into those saver hoops! I've never heard of them until now. I read they also have more response on rimshots.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I'm generally not a fan of nylon tips. Thus I'm trying the oak out first. If it's not up to snuff, I might just have to get used to nylon tips. I'm not really into the feel of nylon tipped sticks though.
    I don't feel that my ride really requires any brightness or definition, being an AA extra heavy, but I know what you mean.
    I have a heavy ride too, and I can't say I'm a fan of the sound with a nylon tip. The wood tip just sounds more natural.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have a 14" 10 hole S hoop being shipped as I speak. I'll stick it on one of my drum craft snares.. . . . . . I hope I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I have a 14" 10 hole S hoop being shipped as I speak. I'll stick it on one of my drum craft snares.. . . . . . I hope I like it.
    Please give us your thoughts when you get a chance Doc. Thanks...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I've been using nylon tipped sticks since the 1970s. Occasionally I'll purchase a few pair of wood tipped sticks and use them a little, but I always go back to the nylon. I love the cymbal sound, pure and simple. The only damage my sticks ever display is caused by the hi hat cymbal offset. I've tried different seat types and every imaginable setting with the bottom cymbal tilt screw, but no matter what I try I always end up with the bottom cymbal extending about 1/4" beyond the top cymbal when played with a stick. When used in the regular hi hat function, the two cymbal edges align perfectly.

So there's a good suggestion for a new invention: a hi hat seat that keeps both cymbals perfectly aligned no matter how the hi hat is used.

GeeDeeEmm
    I wish I could find nylon tips small enough. Smaller than a pea would be ideal.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Don't think there's too much you can do other than sticksaver type rims. If you had really strong sticks, you might be replacing rims.

User Info Menu

Gaffer tape when the splintering starts. Makes for unique-looking sticks! May need to re-tape once a week.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Got my S hoop and put it on my 6x14 birch DC snare. Works great I like it, very well made. Rim shots sound great!