Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kit you've had the longest?

User Info Menu

Default Kit you've had the longest?

Something NPYYZ wrote in another thread made me think this may be an interesting topic. What is the kit you have had for the longest time? AS I am a noob, mine isn't that interesting. I started drumming 3 years ago and have had my Yamaha Stage Customs from day 1. I recently picked up some Pearl Masters Studio Birch, and don't ever see giving those up. So what is your longest lasting kit?
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kit you've had the longest?

Gretsch USA Customs -- ordered March, 1977 -- received shipment August 26, 1977 (exactly 10 days after the death of Elvis).
    This August will be 42 years and I'm still gigging these drums as often as possible.
    Recent photo with kit set up in rehearsal room (13-15-18-24).................

IMG_2387 (3).jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My Slingerlands. Had them since 1980. Still use them at our practice site, 39 years later.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Gretsch USA Customs -- ordered March, 1977 -- received shipment August 26, 1977 (exactly 10 days after the death of Elvis).
    This August will be 42 years and I'm still gigging these drums as often as possible.
    Recent photo with kit set up in rehearsal room (13-15-18-24).................

IMG_2387 (3).jpg
    Beautiful kit!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Cool stories, nice equipment.

I bought 1 shell pack brand new in 1985.. used it for a few years but since then i have just been piecing sets together with stray drums that I find. Got a lot of stuff from Sam Adatos' drum shop when he was in San Francisco. It's kind of fun putting sets together like that. I try to keep wood types together for toms and color match or find complimenting colors. Don't like the jelly bean look.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The kit I've had the longest is my first, a used '67 Ludwig 3pc Classic in green sparkle (shown here with an added 14" Ludwig Rocker tom). I bought it off of a guy that I worked with and took his place as the drummer in my first band when I was 19 (I'm 59).

At one point I had stripped the wrap off and gigged with it for a few years and with all of its flaws and jacked up bearing edges, the shells sound fantastic for being 52 years old.

This is what the kit looks like now:

Last edited by late8; 06-19-2019 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

So you sleep in the gray box? Isn't it kind of tight?

User Info Menu

My Ludwigs, bought from Sam Ash in Brooklyn in 1972. Rewrapped in 2015.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    So you sleep in the gray box? Isn't it kind of tight?
    Ha-ha! You know it!!

User Info Menu

My Sonor kit is my oldest.
    I got that as a birthday gift at 4 yrs old.
    I just turned 36 this year so that kit is 32yrs old.
    I still use it as a practice kit now (mesh heads and L80 cymbals)

User Info Menu

Man I love reading these posts. A big reason I bought my Pearl kit is I want to be able to hand down the Yamahas to my son when he is ready to move out and finds a place where he can have drums. That was our first kit (he was 11) and I want him to be able to have them forever if he wants. Glad to see so many of you guys have kept your first kits.

User Info Menu

Like nubdrummer bought my Slingerlands from a catalog in a music store. 12,13,14,15,16,18 and 24 in 1980.DSC01716.jpg

User Info Menu

Mine would be my TAMA Silverstar bop kit. Been around over 10 years. Funnier still, it's currently offered for sale on a certain web site so it may be gone soon.

Other than my Yamaha Oak Customs everything else is about a year old or less. The Oaks are going on 5 years already. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Bish; 06-19-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

My Ludwig Downbeat kit, purchased from Manny's Music, NYC, in the summer of 1971.
    IMG_0999.jpg
    Not included in the photo is the 16x16 FT that came with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Like nubdrummer bought my Slingerlands from a catalog in a music store. 12,13,14,15,16,18 and 24 in 1980.DSC01716.jpg
    That kit reminds me of Enter the Dragon scene in the hall of mirrors. Nice kit!

User Info Menu

I suppose that would be my Tama Swingstar kit from the late ‘80’s. It’s a vintage T badge, made in Japan. It was the first kit I played in a band, and belonged to the guitar player who was a good friend. I played the same kit in several bands with him until he passed away in 1998 (from having his tonsils removed of all things). I purchased the kit from his widow and still have it...just never play it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    My Ludwig Downbeat kit, purchased from Manny's Music, NYC, in the summer of 1971.
    IMG_0999.jpg
    Not included in the photo is the 16x16 FT that came with it.
    That is just outright gorgeous IMHO!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great stuff!

User Info Menu

how it started....
    Thanksgiving.jpg

User Info Menu

Don't think we'll see Bish posting here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    hahahaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Twice already...hahahah

Just looking for a kit with some whiskers.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Here she is....err, he. With whiskers.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Twice already...hahahah

Just looking for a kit with some whiskers.
    But once this one sells, lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    But once this one sells, lol
    Then this one will take its place.

This one is going up for sale as soon as I finish gigging today. We are playing at our local Harley Davidson dealership. I hope to have video and pictures of this monumental event for us.
    Signature here