Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is this drumkit worth/is it good?

User Info Menu

Default How much is this drumkit worth/is it good?

Alright, here's the dilemma.

He is asking $2000CDN. These drums are a Pearl Export, about 9 or 10 years old. He said he has had them for about 4 years, but rarely played. (I'm assuming they are out of tune). . He payed around $5000.00 new.

I found a similar kit, brand new, at a local music store for $2700. Less symbols, but newer. I can't find a link for it, but it was pretty nice. In fact, it might of been a Pearl Forum.

Now , this guy doesn't know much about kits so I can probably get him down a couple hundred. I would probably buy some new skins for it, or at least tune these ones for now.

Here are some pictures.

Thank you very much!

(By the way, this is not my first kit. I own an electric one, but have just out grown it with double bass and everything. I need to expand onto a bigger kit. I can play pretty much anything, as long as I have time to do it.)

User Info Menu

Default Re: How much is this drumkit worth/is it good?

I'll say in US dollars that set to me should sell for a few 100 maybe 400-600
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Sorry, I can't really help with the price but I just had to comment about the angle of the toms, I can't remember ever seeing a tom angle that extreme before - gravity is not going to help that guy play...wow.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Wow, back to the future much?

I bought a five drum configuration new pearl export and it cost me $800 roughly. The money you're paying is basically for the cymbals and rack because the drums are old and average.

Forgive me for being rude but do you really like this setup?

User Info Menu

That kits closer to 20-25yrs old. Its from the late 80's early 90's. Offer him $1000 and go from there.

User Info Menu

Knim it is a very old export I wouldn't part with 2 k for it ,,,,less that 800 would be my tops.
    The kit seems a miss match of a 2 exports
    Looks like 12'13'14'16 toms and 16'18 floor
    Looks like the rack is home made with brought clamps
    Look at that front bar it must be 2m long I carnt imagine trying to fit it in your car.
    I think you will find a better buy for your 2 k
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

I actually like the rack, Im not big on the way its utilized, but the rack itself is a cool design. And that long tube was a store bought option, when racks came out, most of the guys who used them had big double kick kits.

User Info Menu

i would stay away from this kit, and at that price, no way. set up is just kinda ridiculous looking, so judging a book by its cover, what else is wrong with this kit?
    no way for $2000

User Info Menu

if you have 2k to spend why not buy new?
    you could get a gretsch renown, pearl mcx, tama starclassic. why buy a used mid level kit, when you could get a new, semi-pro kit? 2k goes a long way!
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

I agree with gretschfan go for a new kit. Exports are not worth that much. They are probably made of Poplar the cheapest wood out there. Get som Maple shells and you won't regret it MCX is a high end kit at a affordable price. Good luck.

User Info Menu

I agree with all that has been said. You can get a full new setup for less than $2k way better quality than what he is selling. I would expect that kit, with all harware, etc to go for around £400 in the uk ($700?). The last three kits I've been involved in the purchase of ( 2 x Mapex Meridian Maples, 1 x Yamaha Rock Tour) were less than $2000 each including hardware and pro cymbals.

Hope you find something great for your money! Remember at least 50% of your budget will go on cymbals & hardware.
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

try to describ all cymbals( size and kind)
    i am from canada at first view not much
    why you want a big kit ?
    i would offer 800.00 just by looking at it and it in a garage
    check all the wood for crack or something
    don't be afraid to take out some skin to see the edge
    give us some news

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Wow, ridiculous setup angles of toms and cymbals. At most 1 K kit IF there were some decent value in the cymbals on this kit. I don't see any classics in there, and some low grade ones - Sabian B8. Keep your money and move on. Even if you want to buy used, which i strongly recommend, there are WAY better deals out there.

User Info Menu

Not a Pearl expert, but aren't Exports their entry level drums?

Unless those are all K Zildjians or something, I would say No Way!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Not a Pearl expert, but aren't Exports their entry level drums?

Unless those are all K Zildjians or something, I would say No Way!

all the best...
    Yes Exports are entry level drums but not all Exports are created equal.

My 2007 Pearl Export Customs (ECX) have 6 ply 100% all maple toms and 8 ply bass drum. The only difference between the '07 Export Customs and the Pearl '07 Sessions is the hardware package which included the hoops, bass spurs, and lugs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretschfan:) View Post
    You could get a gretsch renown, pearl mcx, tama starclassic. Why buy a used mid level kit, when you could get a new, semi-pro kit? 2k goes a long way!

+ 1000

User Info Menu

You could get a gretsch renown, pearl mcx, tama starclassic. Why buy a used mid level kit, when you could get a new, semi-pro kit? 2k goes a long way!
    +1001

User Info Menu

+1002
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreak View Post
    +1002
    +1003
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

+1004
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    +1004
    + 1005

Those are late 80s Exports. The same era as my old 9 pc Pearl BLX kit.

My BLX kit was high end, all birch and had real tention lugs, and I wouldnt pay $2000 for those now.

Those drums are made of a lesser wood (poplar or something else cheap) and they have fake tention lugs. If you look close you can se that the long lugs are actually 3 pieces and not one solid lug like the BLX and MLX kits.

Waaay over priced. Definately worth less than $1000 with everything.

So many better options out there, especially used.

$2000 will buy something BA and fully loaded in newish condition.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 01-31-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

wow thats a heck of an angle for those toms. lol

dave0549jv Guest

+1006

I bought a 5pc set of exports that were probably ten years newer than that for 400 bucks. definitely overpriced in my opinion.

User Info Menu

+1006 I agree with all of you this kit is overpriced for it's age and poor quality wood ( poplar) used in the shell. To me all the drums ,cymbals ( A customs) and rack I would pay no more than 1000 Canadian. Drums alone 300.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 02-02-2011 at 02:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I enjoy going to Canada, but even more so a few years back when $2000CDN was about $7US. Slightly exaggerated but it ain't that way no more. That colorful funny money, and even the looney, is worth real money now.