Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you start with?

User Info Menu

Default What did you start with?

So I have a practice pad. Er... well I will once it gets mailed. It'll be great to start with but how do you start when you have no clue what you're doing? And where do I go from there? What did other people start out playing? Any tips on good newbie drumming websites? Guidance needed.

Thanks
    You can't leave footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt. And who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time? -Anonymous

User Info Menu

Stay with the practice pad in the beginning to get your hands warmed up. Learn a few of the basic rudiments (see below) and then you can start working on some drum beats. I also always advise getting some instruction in the beginning to make sure you're not picking up any bad form. Perhaps your dad can help you with that part. Anyway, here are a couple of good links:

Drum Rudiments

How to Play Drums

Drum Tips

Good luck!

ThePloughman Guest

Trombone in grade school band. Tambourine in a pentecostal church. By the time I was 11, I kept time just as good as any drummer. It gave me a great sense of feel for the beat. My dad played guitar, so it was just a natural thing for me to pick up some of that too.

My first drumset lessons happened when I was 14. And for two years I had free use of a 1967 Rogers Dayton Holiday set in Sparkling Blue Pearl, 20-12-14, with matching Luxor 5x14 snare drum. When I was 19, I bought my first set. They were Rogers. I still play them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marinewif View Post
    So I have a practice pad. Er... well I will once it gets mailed. It'll be great to start with but how do you start when you have no clue what you're doing? And where do I go from there? What did other people start out playing? Any tips on good newbie drumming websites? Guidance needed.

Thanks
    Drummer pretty much covered more than enough to get any beginner started. Just get comfortable with holding the sticks for now with some basic rudiments. Oh and also, get yourself a metronome which is a time keeping instrument. This will help you build that solid timing on the drums
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I started with a no-name brand that eventually was actually falling apart. Upgraded somewhat sideways to a Percussion Plus set, taken very good care of it if you ask me. Then I bought a PDP X7, really it was a test to see how many drums I actually used every time I was playing, an expensive one that almost payed off when I sold it to a friend. And soon I will be playing a Pearl Reference, can't wait.

User Info Menu

I started with 5-Piece PRINCE Drums....

Good for beginner....But I don't know if they still producing this Kit....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Some random brand called an ION.
    It was awful, after 3 months the cymbals had corroded to the point that playing the hi hats for more then 10 seconds caused them to pop inside out. I also did that to my crash when I was disassembling it and kicked it onto the floor; for lulz.
    I can't stress how much I agree with drummer on getting lessons. I had no idea what to do for six months before I really got into drumming; I was sloppy but I understood how to get a little better, and then my lessons kept on expanding the way I saw drumming with rudiments and so on. Get yourself a book/copy of Rhythm/Modern Drummer (they usually have sheet music in the back with lessons) and work hard at what it's got, slowly at first. Listen to music and play along with it; it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to fit the groove. As your perspective on drumming grows, so will your understanding of it, and soon you'll be able to work out how a drummer is getting that sound out of his kit.
    Good luck, enjoy the ride! (not the cymbal, I mean ride in a metaphorical term, here referring to the metaphorical journey that your drumming will take you on; is that a metaphor within a metaphor? I'm confused now)
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

i started with my friends kit and played simple beats and stuff, and thats pretty much all i have done, for the most part staying away from rudiments

oh and taking lessons is VERY important

User Info Menu

MW, I thought I should make note here that when you picked up the sticks at the house, you sat down and played perfect triplets! What you had trouble with was quarter notes and 8th notes. Also you hold your sticks in the traditional manner, as a left-hander, even though you are right-handed. I found that very interesting. If you can learn to hold the sticks in the right-handed traditional, and even matched grip manner (you'll learn what that means very quickly), and keep the left-handed traditional grip as something you do, you will naturally strengthen both hands equally, which would be a big plus!

I will also get you a good book with a CD/DVD to work with.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i started playing drums when i was 13 with my mom's bowls when i became 16 i bought my first kit which i have until today, Mapex M5
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

too funny saturn, i started playing at 13 on vhs cassette tapes (meaning i set up a vhs tape for each drum and hit the tapes with sticks) along to a smashing pumpkins live in germany bootleg video. It worked at the time but I destroyed my movie collection rather quickly! Then got a cheapo "Maxx" drum set a few months later and upgraded to a 1969 Ludwig a year later.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

I started January 11 2008. A metallic blue 5- piece Ludwig Accent Outfit and a Zildjian pack With a crash/ ride a crash and some hats.

User Info Menu

Lessons are a noted must. Thanks for all the help. Is it weird to be right handed and yet feel comfortable drumming goofy handed?
    You can't leave footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt. And who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time? -Anonymous

User Info Menu

I am not sure what you mean by "goofy" handed. It is not weird if you are naturally left handed but drum right handed. I know of people that bat right handed for example in sports but kick left handed. Whatever feels comfortable is what you should be doing
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by "goofy" handed. It is not weird if you are naturally left handed but drum right handed. I know of people that bat right handed for example in sports but kick left handed. Whatever feels comfortable is what you should be doing
    I agree, I am one of those odd folks that eat, write and drum left handed but do everything else right handed. I am for all intent and purpose ambidextrous but favor one hand over the other depending on the activity. I have actually taught myself to write right handed about as good as I do left. I golf and Bat right handed and catch left handed and throw right handed in baseball. follow your inclination and play what ever is comfortable for you. And lead with whatever hand feels the most natural to you, there is no reason to fight it.

User Info Menu

I had no idea what a drum sounded like in person when I bought my first set... Which is the one I have now, but I can play lol. Gretsch Catalina Birch.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Ask your dad, I've heard him play, he's pretty good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Ask your dad, I've heard him play, he's pretty good
    who is the dad?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    who is the dad?
    Pastor Bob

User Info Menu

i started playing snare in 8th grade then i got my first set in 1998, it was a 7pc yamaha kit that was a really nice kit but i fell in love with a tama set at a local drum shop and saved my money until i could buy it, ive been playing it since 2000 now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post

I played too many snowboarding video games. When you snowboard with your right foot in front it's called "goofy footed".

And you're right DC my dad could definately help. Maybe he can send me some email videos with some drumming tips in exchange for some Krissy videos.

User Info Menu

Your dad is having lessons,[and doing real good] so anything he passes on to you is good. I know I thought my old man was full of it , but dad know's best in this instance. you could also get a few lessons and blow him away in a couple of years!!! watch out bob, there's a new sherrif in town.

User Info Menu

i started playing at 10yo on a remo pts kit and noname cymbals that my cousin gave me. when he took it back a couple months later, i got a beat up dbl bass rogers kit and some cheep zildjian scimitars. that lasted me until i got my tama camco kit and some paiste colorsounds and rudes at 16.

User Info Menu

This is what I started with, used it for about 6 months before I got my e-kit.

User Info Menu

Drum chick, you can do a whole lot with that right there. That is all you needed to learn basic coordination exercises. You probably have better technique than a lot of other new drummers starting out, because you started on that little kit right there.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 02-12-2008 at 04:33 PM.