Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail of Drum Tips

User Info Menu

Default Re: Holy Grail of Drum Tips (for noobs)

well in my case, be respectful to the officer when he arrives at your door telling you about the noise complaint

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Don't just play licks but play "space". Think of space as as a note and work it into your phrasing on the drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Holy Grail of Drum Tips

Just remember, above all else, speed is everything. If you can't gravity blast 16ths at 300 bpm, go home.

But no seriously, this is a good thread.

I think a very important thing is to be very honest with yourself when analyzing your playing. Be very honest with yourself about what needs improving. I, and I'm sure many others, have in the past just worked on what we're already good at, while neglecting our weak points. They're never going to improve unless you work on them.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

play softly..........ever so softly !
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    play softly..........ever so softly !
    Softly, as in a morning sunrise.

(Only some people will get that. )

User Info Menu

Talking about neighbourhood noise. A Policeman came knocking at my door at 2 a.m what nerve he had. Lucky for him I was up playing my drums. LOL
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-19-2013 at 09:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Talking about neighbourhood noise. A Policeman came knocking at my door at 2 a.m what nerve he had. Lucky for him I was up playing my drums. LOL
    Hahahahahahahaha
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Hey! That was my joke!! (still funny as heck)
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I think one of the biggest misconceptions most new drummers have is that buying better equipment will make you sound better. I can understand if drumming is your hobby and you simply play in your basement or back room and you want to have expensive stuff - I get it, but if you are SERIOUS about advancing our drumming "Career" - it's not the gear that's going to get you the gig.

I've had a saying for years: "Spend less money on drums, use the rest for lessons".

I can't tell you how many drummers I run into in my line of work/schedule/gigs etc that simply refuse to learn, practice and rehearse, but are open to spend thoughtlessly. It's foolish - and in the end, they don't get gigs because of it.

For the most part..your sound is going to come from your fingers & head, first and foremost - Yes, sure...better gear is going to help sound better to a point, but most wont notice any difference.

A good drummer will sound better on an average kit, then an average drummer will sound on a good kit.

Don't get sucked in to all the ads in magazines, websites, the endorsements your favorite drummer has, or how cool a logo makes you look. It's marketing - nothing more.
    Last edited by EddieV; 03-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Eddie, that's a point that can never be emphasized enough. Point well made, and well stated. Oh, and believe me when I say that I have to resist the temptation all the time!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I can't tell you how many drummers I run into in my line of work/schedule/gigs etc that simply refuse to learn, practice and rehearse, but are open to spend thoughtlessly. It's foolish - and in the end, they don't get gigs because of it.

For the most part..your sound is going to come from you fingers & head first and foremost - Yes, sure...better gear is going to help sound better to a point, but most wont notice any difference.

A good drummer will sound better on an average kit, then an average drummer will sound on a good kit.
    Yep, yep and yep.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Besides protecting your ears, develop them! Someone else said it- listen to the band. Expanding on that: Rudiments and practicing and all are excellent, excellent things to do. But simply listening to music, and trying to figure it out what the guitar is doing, what the bass is doing, keys, vocals, etc., and how they work off each other or are at odds with one another is vital. Study your favorite music, train your ears to pick out the parts, figure out the phrasing, and feel the groove. Developing your ears is just as important as training and and exercising your hands and feet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    Here's my tip, from my Tinnitus thread.

#1, protect your ears, trust me on this. Unless of course you enjoy the sound of a high pitched ring in your ears 24/7. I was one of those, it wont happen to me guys, well, it happened to me. I have to sleep with the tv on just to distract me from concentrating on the ringing.
    What is the cheapest method of hearing protection that doesn't include putting big noise-cancelling earphones over my head?

I play quite a lot, but mostly on an electric drumset at comfortable volumes. Once a week (hopefully more soon) my band has a 4-5 hour practice and we play somewhat loud and I have lessons every week, which isn't very loud. I do get an occasional headache (usual after band practice), but nothing too bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    What is the cheapest method of hearing protection that doesn't include putting big noise-cancelling earphones over my head?

I play quite a lot, but mostly on an electric drumset at comfortable volumes. Once a week (hopefully more soon) my band has a 4-5 hour practice and we play somewhat loud and I have lessons every week, which isn't very loud. I do get an occasional headache (usual after band practice), but nothing too bad.
    Cigarette Butts and Duck Tape. (yes...I've done this)

But if you want to spend a couple bucks. Google FOAM EAR PLUGS!
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Better yet, get a set similar to these Vater Ear plugs:

Drummer Ear Plugs

User Info Menu

Being relaxed when you play is a big factor for me. Simple enough concept but not always easy to accomplish. Still deal w certain patterns/chops/tempos that I can pull of at home and have a harder time at the gig. The difference? Relaxed!

User Info Menu

Two things I tell my students:

There's only one thing that'll make you a better drummer--practice.

There are general rules you should follow--always kick with your crash, don't kick with the snare, start slow, play with a metronome, etc.--but there are times when you intentionally break the rules.
    OCDP Avalon - Red Sparkle
    10-12-14-16-22
    Crush Chameleon Birch - White-on-white
    10-12-14-16-22
    Pearl Session Elite - red lacquer
    10-12-13-14-16-22
    Pearl Export EXR - Orange Swirl
    12-14-16-24

Pearl Joey Jordison Sig Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 1963 Acrolite Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 Standard Snare
    OCDP 14x7 Microvent Snare
    OCDP 14x6 Avalon Snare
    Crush 14x6 Chameleon Snare
    Mapex 13x3 Piccolo Snare

Sabian Cymbals
    14" AAXplosion Hats
    14" HHX Evolution Hats
    14" AA Med Hats
    22" AAX Metal Ride
    20" AA Medium Ride
    20" Pro Ride
    17" AAXplosion Crash
    18" AAXplosion Crash
    19" AAXplosion Crash (2)
    20" AAXplosion Crash
    19" Vault Crash (2)
    19" AAXtreme China
    10" HHX Splash

Wuhan Cymbals
    12", 16" & 18" Chinas
    15", 17", 18" Crashes
    8" & 12" splashes

User Info Menu

You can drink and drum, but NEVER, EVER drum and be drunk. It can be the cause of some of the most embarrassing moments of your life!

All I know is that I am so very thankful that there was no such thing as Youtube back in the early years of my musical life.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    You can drink and drum, but NEVER, EVER drum and be drunk. It can be the cause of some of the most embarrassing moments of your life!
    done that, and i agree, don't do it.

Get playing with other Musicians as soon as you can, even if your only just starting out, this will bring you on leaps and bounds.

Look and listen to the rest of the band.

never give up if things get difficult, things like this are never easy.

take duck tape to a gig, you can use it for loads of different stuff.

never start a thread about Travis Barker or Lars Ulrich.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

when playing in front of people always try to smile, look relaxed and show that your really enjoying it even though inside you may feel like a blibbering, nervous wreck.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    Never end your practice session on a bad note. If you aren't getting something, play something that you struggled with and finally conquered that will remind you that you will eventually get it. You can always come back to it later. I've found that if I'm not getting it and I try to force it, it just makes things worse.

Remember that although practicing on a pad or just snare is important, don't neglect the rest of your kit. Make time for just pad or snare and time for your whole kit.
    technically drums dont have notes now mallets do. Now yes they do have a pitch but not a assigned note.

User Info Menu

Use a metronome.
    And move with the music (my band teacher says who is a good drummer)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Get playing with other Musicians as soon as you can, even if your only just starting out, this will bring you on leaps and bounds.
    ^This.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

1. Never help carry the arrogant singers gear unless he helps carry yours. Especially when he's sitting in the crowd after the show hitting on women instead of carrying gear!!
    2. Always smile and carry on when mistakes are made live. DO NOT stop or joke about it over the PA after the song let alone when the mistake was made. Unless you have something really, REALLY whitty. Just carry on my wayward son.

User Info Menu

Never allow the lead guitar player to collect the cash. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.