Thread: Gibraltar-SC-EA300-Ultra-Adjust-Flex Review

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltar-SC-EA300-Ultra-Adjust-Flex Review

Gibraltar-SC-EA300-Ultra-Adjust-Flex: $69-$75 USD

Gibraltar's EA-300 Flex Extension Arm utilizes the Ultra Adjust gearless system to provide 'flex' when mounting no-leg hi-hat or no-leg snare stands . This arm utilizes two super grabber clamps at each end with 360-degree adjustment and a length extension tube with Ultra Adjustment at the center position to give unlimited mounting capabilities.

Pro: Inexpensive, ball and socket flex arm. Utilizes 2 Super Grabber Double Multi-Clamps (SC-SUGC) and utilizes the Ultra Adjust gearless system to provide 'flex' when mounting no-leg hi-hat or no-leg snare stands . Accepts 5/8"-1-1/2" arms and rack tubes. Gripping surface is 2-1/2 times larger than SC-UGC (standard clamp).
    Con: none

I found this flex arm to be the "go to" item when dealing with moving or shifting stands; especially a light single braced hihat stand that creeps forward while playing.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gibraltar-SC-EA300-Ultra-Adjust-Flex Review

Those ball joints are not exactly "aesthetically pleasing", but it sounds like they work well. I've considered Pearl style 7/8" tom mount arms with that style joint, but can't get past the look. That said, this is another example of why I hope Gibraltar can maintain their affordability, function & quality under DW.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

nice use of the clamp.

I wish they offered it in multiple sizes because that's a huge bulky clamp for just a hi hat support.
    I could easily make one from other clamps that's less... bulky

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Gibraltar-SC-EA300-Ultra-Adjust-Flex: $69-$75 USD

Gibraltar's EA-300 Flex Extension Arm utilizes the Ultra Adjust gearless system to provide 'flex' when mounting no-leg hi-hat or no-leg snare stands . This arm utilizes two super grabber clamps at each end with 360-degree adjustment and a length extension tube with Ultra Adjustment at the center position to give unlimited mounting capabilities.

Pro: Inexpensive, ball and socket flex arm. Utilizes 2 Super Grabber Double Multi-Clamps (SC-SUGC) and utilizes the Ultra Adjust gearless system to provide 'flex' when mounting no-leg hi-hat or no-leg snare stands . Accepts 5/8"-1-1/2" arms and rack tubes. Gripping surface is 2-1/2 times larger than SC-UGC (standard clamp).
    Con: none

I found this flex arm to be the "go to" item when dealing with moving or shifting stands; especially a light single braced hihat stand that creeps forward while playing.

How do you like using individual stands as opposed to the rack that came with the ekit? I'm toying with the idea of making the same switch to my DTX532 for portability. I can probably do it with the 2 Tama double tom stands I already have, mounting one cymbal arm to each. The only thing i can't find is a mount for the 502 module.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Those ball joints are not exactly "aesthetically pleasing", but it sounds like they work well. I've considered Pearl style 7/8" tom mount arms with that style joint, but can't get past the look. That said, this is another example of why I hope Gibraltar can maintain their affordability, function & quality under DW.
    Hey there Brian...This flex arm is just one in a series which Gibraltar calls the "Ultra Adjust Products". The flex arm used for this set up was merely to keep the hihat from creeping forward during play. I would never gig with an ekit; just for practice situations only. I had a bad experience with an ekit in the early '80's during a gig. Tama came out with their 5302 TechStar module and pads after Simmons introduced their one and only ekit. I used them with real cymbals and gigged with them often but it failed at one. I was in full panic mode until I found it was a bad cable and it finally worked after swapping it out. I vowed to never again depend on electronic drums. As far as it being "aesthetically pleasing", I'm a "function over form kinda guy" opposed to most who are the opposite as in "form over function"
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    nice use of the clamp.

I wish they offered it in multiple sizes because that's a huge bulky clamp for just a hi hat support.
    I could easily make one from other clamps that's less... bulky
    Hey Zack....this clamp is designed to be used with 1.5" rack rails. It needs to be this beefy to hold up anything you can mount on a rack (i.e. legless snare stands, rack toms, floor toms, or gong drums.

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    How do you like using individual stands as opposed to the rack that came with the ekit? I'm toying with the idea of making the same switch to my DTX532 for portability. I can probably do it with the 2 Tama double tom stands I already have, mounting one cymbal arm to each. The only thing i can't find is a mount for the 502 module.
    Thanks for the post nubdrummer....This kit never came with a rack. I pieced it together with the intension of using this at home for silent practice and I didn't want to spend over $800. I bought used Yamaha DTXpress IV v.2 pads for $525 from GC and bought a used DTXpressIII module for $150 from a DC member and used my Gibraltar V-Rack but opted to use stands instead for practice use only. I like using stands at home since I can easily break the kit up into pieces and store them directly on the stands and stash them in "nooks and cranny".

The DTxpressIII module came with a rack mountable adapter and I use a multi-clamp and mount it to any upright stand.

Last edited by late8; 02-14-2017 at 02:47 PM.

User Info Menu

continued....

With the Flex arm, I can void piecing together stuff like this:

Edit:

Looks like the 502 has the same type of rack mount like the DTXpressIII:

Last edited by late8; 02-14-2017 at 02:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Great! Thanks, I'm definitely going to try this out! I'll post pics when I'm done!

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

This is what I was considering using on my jungle kit....
    IMG_0775.JPG
    I'm sure it's extremely functional, but having it right out in the open, on top of the kick front-n-center, just didn't seem right. It just doesn't fit the '55 T-bird theme of my home-made kit, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Great! Thanks, I'm definitely going to try this out! I'll post pics when I'm done!
    Here it is! Only 3 stands! A little cable management is necessary, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it!
    http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...14_2014241.jpg

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Oh man. Don't mean to go off topic, but is that you and portnoy in the pic?!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    This is what I was considering using on my jungle kit....
    I'm sure it's extremely functional, but having it right out in the open, on top of the kick front-n-center, just didn't seem right. It just doesn't fit the '55 T-bird theme of my home-made kit, LOL.
    Finally able to clean up the clutter around my pedals due to the Ultra Adjustable features of the Flex Arm Extension.

User Info Menu

There were other mounting options such as the Gibraltar Stealth mounting system but in my opinion, the tube didn't allow for the fine tuning under hard to place hardware where legs are used to hold the snare basket. The ball and socket elbow is rock solid and I have the entire arm inches above the slave shaft for the double pedals. I was never a fan of the Gibraltar bar that has the hump to clear the double pedal slave shaft.

Last edited by late8; 02-15-2017 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Oh man. Don't mean to go off topic, but is that you and portnoy in the pic?!
    Yep, That's me and MP!

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Below is a photo of my band from a gig last week.................you can clearly see the monster clamp in use near my left knee.
    My hat stand has no legs and no tripod..........it is held in place (very well) by the monster clamp which is also clamped to a nearby cymbal stand that is only supporting a small stack.

IMG_2146.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Below is a photo of my band from a gig last week.................you can clearly see the monster clamp in use near my left knee.
    My hat stand has no legs and no tripod..........it is held in place (very well) by the monster clamp which is also clamped to a nearby cymbal stand that is only supporting a small stack.

IMG_2146.jpg
    I have swapped my Pearl H-2000 hihat with a Gibraltar legless hihat stand and have the flex arm in the same configuration and the same angle as you. I love this thing!!

User Info Menu

I hit my snare so hard Late8 I'd be afraid for that ball joint...
    luckily I left that other band so I take that statement back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I love this thing!!
    Yes -- it provides the drummer the result of so much efficiency and foot-space with no clutter at all.
    In the context of actually using two bass drums, I can see where it would be of even greater value.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)