Thread: Possible money saver? *input needed!* =)

User Info Menu

Default Possible money saver? *input needed!* =)

So I work in a hardware store as well as my brother (lame I know!) He is 23 and I am 19, were both pretty crafty and smart people. I was wondering if it would be plausible to custom make a rack instead of spending the money on one. I can get the materials pretty cheap because of my discount, and I am sure I could figure out how to do it. My question is, has anyone done this before? Anyone have recommendations or concerns against it?

What materials will I need?

Any input is great!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Possible money saver? *input needed!* =)

The big cost of a rack is the clamps and mounts.

Unless you want a rack that you cant take apart it will be very exspensive.

User Info Menu

I was thinking the same thing NR. The only way to get around the clamps that hold the pieces together is to weld the pieces together, and then you lose the portability. Jox, if you can figure out how to clamp it together with sturdy, but cheap clamps, then you have a chance.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think Owens was going to build his own rack. Haven't seen him around in a while though.
    Matt

User Info Menu

You can save a bit of money by getting your own tubing and using regular clamps.

If you're creative enough and spend time do it right you can make your own clamps that will work. It's just a clamp, not some incredible feat of engineering.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

could always get gibraltar parts individually as you're able to afford them
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JOX View Post
    So I work in a hardware store as well as my brother (lame I know!)
    I don't think it's lame at all. I love hardware stores. And work is work. We can't buy the things we want/need if we don't have money.

User Info Menu

I think you could. I've heard several accounts of people building (parts of, at least) their own rack. Let us know what you decide!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by su_admin View Post
    I don't think it's lame at all. I love hardware stores. And work is work. We can't buy the things we want/need if we don't have money.
    Agreed. Some people could argue that my work as a pastor is lame, but we all have our place and it takes lots of different people doing lots of different things to make this world work.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

ok, one of the captains on my drumline, his dad owns a construction business. So he built his own drum rack, and he said it was very easy
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretsch View Post
    ok, one of the captains on my drumline, his dad owns a construction business. So he built his own drum rack, and he said it was very easy
    Any chance you could talk to that guy and possibly get some details?

What materials?

How he did it? Etc.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I was working in the yard this weekend and had to move the old trampoline that no one ever uses anymore...then, I remembered reading this post. I bet the metal tubing for the trampoline would be perfect to use....its cheap, but strong....there would be enough tubing for 2 or 3 racks...and best of all it already has the slightly-rounded tubing. However, what would you use for clamps and mounts? Also, have to figure out a sturdy way to stand them up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I think Owens was going to build his own rack. Haven't seen him around in a while though.
    Yes, I was. The problem is you wont be saving much money, cheap clamps will not function as nicely because you wont have memory locks. You could look into pipe T's if you know the height you want the rack to be.

You will need to make the rack out of 1-1/2" tubes. Try to use something that is durable, but light as possible. You may want to make the leg assembly out of a heavier material.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.