Thread: Drum Transcription service

User Info Menu

Default Drum Transcription service

Quick question for all of you (although ya'll that know me realize "quick" isn't a word that really applies to me)

There is a song that I love that I told my daughter if I could learn it I would go to her school and do a drum "lesson". (Her music teacher said it would be neat for a parent to bring their kit in and explain all the parts and play a little) This one is going to take a lot of work to learn, and I would like to start working on putting drum scores into real beats with my teacher. ***When we are not working on rudiments***

I am getting better at hearing the drums on songs and figuring out the groove, but the fills and cymbals still elude me. This song has a ton of crashes and fills, so I tried to find it online. After an exhaustive search, I just went ahead and "ordered" it through a drum transcription service.

My question (finally) is have any of you ever used a service, and if so who...were you happy with the results...how much did they charge...? I guess that was a couple of questions.
    I think as long as we don't link it we are okay with naming sites that charge fees for services, but just in case, the transcriptionist's name on the site I used is Dan. If you have used this site before you'll know which one it is.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Transcription service

Well, those people that make money off it are almost always very good. I'm not sure about price, but I would charge $25-50. However, you should've asked the members here. A few members here including myself are very capable and have the tools to do drum transcriptions.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Yes, that would have been the smart thing to do.
    He only charged a total of $11.25, and part of that was to cover the cost of the MP3 and paypal fees, so it wasn't bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    Yes, that would have been the smart thing to do.
    He only charged a total of $11.25, and part of that was to cover the cost of the MP3 and paypal fees, so it wasn't bad.
    He makes good transcriptions, and is probably worth going to. I'll be honest though, his transcription for fool in the rain seems inaccurate, but that could just be my failure to read it correctly.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

thats pretty cheap, i was expecting more. also, if you purchase Guitar Pro (yes, GUITAR pro), go to "ultimate guitars" website, which i cannot post here, you can download complete transcriptions of songs submitted by users. for free, that include drum parts.. they are often fairly accurate, and if not, are a great base for you to work on if you think its wrong.

and theres tons and tons of songs available.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    thats pretty cheap, i was expecting more. also, if you purchase Guitar Pro (yes, GUITAR pro), go to "ultimate guitars" website, which i cannot post here, you can download complete transcriptions of songs submitted by users. for free, that include drum parts.. they are often fairly accurate, and if not, are a great base for you to work on if you think its wrong.

and theres tons and tons of songs available.
    +1
    I've used Guitar Pro many times & it's pretty good. Look first at the ones with the best recommendations. They'll be the most accurate.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    He makes good transcriptions, and is probably worth going to. I'll be honest though, his transcription for fool in the rain seems inaccurate, but that could just be my failure to read it correctly.
    Well, that song is fairly difficult to transcribe with lots of precision and so many people have different interpretations of the song. If you're still wanting to learn the song, I think the best way is through the YouTube demos. I've a few good ones over the years.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

I'm amazed! Dan already finished the transcription - said it could take up to 14 days. Plus, included in the price of the service was one "free" score in their library. Great Deal!

User Info Menu

I have used a few in the past, $12 which I have paid also seems ridiculously high to me. I mean I bet you would sell alot more of em if they were about $5 each.. Once you write one it's done and if your good at it you will make your money back in no time so why continue to charge $12? Especially when there are a ton of free ones if you look online (especially in foreign languages) and there are a ton of tabs that will get you close as well.

BTW what is the song your going to do?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    I have used a few in the past, $12 which I have paid also seems ridiculously high to me. I mean I bet you would sell alot more of em if they were about $5 each.. Once you write one it's done and if your good at it you will make your money back in no time so why continue to charge $12? Especially when there are a ton of free ones if you look online (especially in foreign languages) and there are a ton of tabs that will get you close as well.

BTW what is the song your going to do?
    I don't think the $12 was bad - especially since I got a song from the library, too. I would not, however, be willing to pay more.

I know there are a ton of free ones out there, and tabs. I have about 12 transcription sites bookmarked (most of them foreign) and I could not find this song anywhere...and I don't like tabs. Also, I am a little OCD, and I haven't been playing long so I would like to know the exact notes...kind of get me used to hearing beats and fills and then being able to transpose that to the kit. (Am I making any sense?)

The song is called "Break Your Little Heart" by All Time Low. It should be really fun to play once I learn it, which is going to take awhile. I know I have posted this video in another thread, but this is a cover of it...and I don't know the guy playing, just thought he did a good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvR2sguzJCY