Thread: I've become really frustrated the past couple of days...

User Info Menu

Default I've become really frustrated the past couple of days...

These past couple of days I've been trying to keep up what I've been doing the last week (introducing double bass). All I'm playing is straight up 16th notes without stopping. I got up to 95-100bpm but as soon as I sat down today and yesterday I felt like I'd literally just sat down for the first time again. Then I started doubting my hands and just playing in general and it all felt wrong and poor. The fact I'm playing on a low end Yamaha kit and never touching an acoustic in my life doesn't help my thoughts on wanting to become the best I can be. It's affecting my mood now. Feel like giving in. I'm never going to play an acoustic because of noise situations etc being in a flat. I've had lessons in the past but I can't afford it and felt like I was going nowhere. It feels like I've lost all my motivation! Granted I've only been playing 2-3 years and most of that time has just been faffing around on the kit. Meh... I dunno. /vent

User Info Menu

Default Re: I've become really frustrated the past couple of days...

It'll pass. Keep at it!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Don't give up! You will push through it and be better for it.

User Info Menu

You will look back at this day and realize that you did the right thing by pushing through it. Keep the faith brother. There are days like this. It's just life.

User Info Menu

It's important to keep in mind that skill development is not linear. It goes up and down. Some days you'll be amazed at what you can do, other days it'll seem like the first time you've ever picked up sticks (or put foot to pedal)! I've also found that when I push myself to physical limits (like most foot control stuff), that I tire my muscles out to the point that they can't repeat it the next day. So, pay attention to that to see if it might be a factor.

With daily practice, the long term trend is always up. It is important to understand how to practice though. If you need some pointers there, just ask. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can offer advise.

If you're a learn from a book kind of person, I'd recommend "The Talent Code" and "The Little Book of Talent," both by Daniel Coyle.

User Info Menu

We've all been there friend, keep your head up! Don't let things like what kind of drums you play or what their worth bother you either, don't sweat the small stuff. You could be the worst player on a nice kit or the best player on a crap kit, brands don't mean anything when we're talking skills. The fact alone that your attempting double pedal says a lot, means you want more & your hungry to learn, keep your focus. If you have any questions about double pedal rudiments and tips to help you out PM me or start a thread & ask we will all help!! We need the bad days to be able to tell what the good days feel like

User Info Menu

Try studying something different. Sometimes change is good.

One reason that I like playing along with recordings is it makes me feel like I can play lots of songs, like I've accomplished something.

User Info Menu

Work through it.

User Info Menu

Agree with everyone else here. There are times at band practice when we will rehearse a simple song that we've played 100+ times together, and it's like I've never held drumsticks before.

Push through.

Tex

User Info Menu

Yeah what others have said, we have all been there, me personally just recently. There is no shame in slowing it back down. If your suddenly struggling at a speed you thought you had down than you did not have it down completely. Slow it back down to a comfortable 80 or whatever works and play it for 5 minutes straight. I bet you will be right back to 95-100.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Wow, thank you so much for all your uplifting and positive responses. I know I don't post alot on here but it means a lot so many of you care and are willing to respond. That alone has helped my thought process in pushing through these bad vibes and getting back on track. For now though, I'ma take a day off it! Cheers again guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vampires View Post
    Wow, thank you so much for all your uplifting and positive responses. I know I don't post alot on here but it means a lot so many of you care and are willing to respond. That alone has helped my thought process in pushing through these bad vibes and getting back on track. For now though, I'ma take a day off it! Cheers again guys!
    I would add that it's much more effective to pratice something at a slower speed for longer than to practice it at the top of the speed you're capable of (where you tire out quickly). It seems opposite of what you'd think, but it's true. Pushing speed does have its place in practice, but not as a primary focus. This is because the brain needs to understand the nuance of the motions at slower speeds before it can comprehend faster speeds. You'll find that focusing on endurance at slower speeds will greatly enhance your ability to achieve higher speeds.

User Info Menu

I've been playing around the same amount of time. I would get into ruts before, still do from time to time. Keep pushing through it. A good teacher can help too.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Hang in there, there are good days and bad, and if you get really frustrated, you can always play(you get to hit stuff!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mottster View Post
    I would add that it's much more effective to pratice something at a slower speed for longer than to practice it at the top of the speed you're capable of (where you tire out quickly). It seems opposite of what you'd think, but it's true. Pushing speed does have its place in practice, but not as a primary focus. This is because the brain needs to understand the nuance of the motions at slower speeds before it can comprehend faster speeds. You'll find that focusing on endurance at slower speeds will greatly enhance your ability to achieve higher speeds.
    This is very, very good advice.

User Info Menu

I think it's a good idea to slow down a little-just above easy control, and then give it a rest for a day before repeating practicing whatever it may be. You have to give your muscles time to recuperate. They have to get stronger, etc.

I don't think the slower motions in their entirety translate into eventual speedy motions just because muscles just need more energy. I use different techniques for really fast vs fast motions, even slight grip changes between drums like snare to FT. the heads are different, bounce is different, etc.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    This is very, very good advice.
    Yes!

User Info Menu

It's important to keep in mind that skill development is not linear. It goes up and down.
    All the advice and positive support here originates in our all having dealt with this challenge, and not just in drumming. It is in everything challenging in which we push hard to exceed.

I still remember when I was learning foreign languages. At one point living abroad, I was starting to forget key English vocabulary because my daily work was all in the foreign language--no access to English speakers for many months, and by no means fluent yet in the local language. I felt I was regressing even in my native language skills, forget the new skills (basically it felt like I reach a new "low" of stinking on all language fronts--even my birth language!) Huge feeling of rolling a rock uphill and having it roll back down. That is all past now, and I powered through it. In drumming, you can too.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)