Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independence

User Info Menu

Default Independence

I was wondering if anyone has any good excercises to help gain stronger independence between the right arm and the right leg. I know practice will eventually pay off but I get very frustrated and just have to walk away for a bit. I wanted to know if there is anything I can do while sitting in the office all day. Any suggestions would be great ! Thank you.
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Independence

tap out a steady pattern with your right index finger and change up the right foot on the floor as you sit at your desk, keep the index finger steady, concentrate on the index finger, get fancy with the right foot.

User Info Menu

Great advice!! I work in a office and what I do is the same. I also will do rudiments between my right hand and foot then switch you the left hand and foot. I play at a slow speed and pick it up after a few reps. When I'll alternate left hand / right foot, or right hand / left foot. Paradiddles are my favorite rudiment to use. Flams can be a challenge.

User Info Menu

yea that is great advice! now i will have somethin to practice and work on during school after summer is over!! maybe it wont be so boring!!
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I can feel it coming around ! I have been doing alot of random beats while sitting at my desk and really trying to break the bond and I think im finally coming around. I sat at the set when I got home last night and put it to the test and its kinda working but only for about one or two beats then I fall back into my old ways. Its alright though as long as Im showing progress im happy with myself. Thanks for the advice !
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcrib06 View Post
    I can feel it coming around ! I have been doing alot of random beats while sitting at my desk and really trying to break the bond and I think im finally coming around. I sat at the set when I got home last night and put it to the test and its kinda working but only for about one or two beats then I fall back into my old ways. Its alright though as long as Im showing progress im happy with myself. Thanks for the advice !
    awesome! just hang in there!
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I always found that practicing a Funk pattern while I'm sitting at my desk really helps me to develop the independence between hands and feet. That's what neat about playing drumms...we don't always have to be sitting behind them to practice. Just be careful when your driving down the street in your car while working out one of your favorite patterns, the drivers behind you will wonder what the heck you're doing.

User Info Menu

playing rudiments between hands and feet is one of the best ways to create independence
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

I havnt tried that yet but i'll give it a try for sure. I have my first lesson tonight so hopefully all goes well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I always found that practicing a Funk pattern while I'm sitting at my desk really helps me to develop the independence between hands and feet. That's what neat about playing drumms...we don't always have to be sitting behind them to practice. Just be careful when your driving down the street in your car while working out one of your favorite patterns, the drivers behind you will wonder what the heck you're doing.
    Hahaha, I'm always drumming while I'm driving! I mean, it's perfect. Just driving, listening to my favourite music, tapping along on the steering wheel, I can't think of a better place!

(Except maybe playing on my actual kit...)
    In truth, Rock music is the most pure and honest art form ever born.

Realx... I'm a drummer...
    Girl Drummers are Amazing!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerGirl* View Post
    Hahaha, I'm always drumming while I'm driving! I mean, it's perfect. Just driving, listening to my favourite music, tapping along on the steering wheel, I can't think of a better place!

(Except maybe playing on my actual kit...)

It's not the tapping on the steering wheel that I'm concerned about...it's the tapping on the accelerator as you beat that imaginary bass drum...LOL!

User Info Menu

It's not the tapping on the steering wheel that I'm concerned about...it's the tapping on the accelerator as you beat that imaginary bass drum...LOL!
    LMAO! Tried that once, trust me, not the best idea.....
    In truth, Rock music is the most pure and honest art form ever born.

Realx... I'm a drummer...
    Girl Drummers are Amazing!!

User Info Menu

yeah, i have been listening to the radio and i did that as i drove down the road, not good.. lol

User Info Menu

The good thing about me being left handed is I can play the bass drum to the left of my brake pedal as I use the accelerator, and the floor of my suburban makes a reasonably nice bass drum sound.

User Info Menu

I'm seeing an instructor to be a more dynamic drummer and improve my independance.
    GONE!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    The good thing about me being left handed is I can play the bass drum to the left of my brake pedal as I use the accelerator, and the floor of my suburban makes a reasonably nice bass drum sound.
    lucky!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    I'm seeing an instructor to be a more dynamic drummer and improve my independance.

Good for you but don't let Dynamic and Independence get in your way...there's a lot to learn. Go into your lessons with an open mind and learn.

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS MCRIB06 *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) ONE THE BEST ENCYCLOPEDIAS (BOOKS)within Gaining KNOWLEDGE of And within Total INDEPENDENCE (INTERDEPENDENT* )DISCIPLINE CONTROL
    is (JIM CHAPINS) ADVANCE TECHNIQUES IN MODERN JAZZ DRUMMING *VOLUME #(1) AND THEN AFTER MANY YEARS STUDING THE TECHNIQUES within the First #(1's)VOLUME ,THEN JOURNEY within the (2)SECOND **VOLUME AND GAIN GREAT KNOWLEDGE AND CONTROL**With A VERY FINE SMOOTH GRACEFUL FINESSE**within your UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTIC (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) within ALL your JOURNEYS within AND OF THIS VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Yeah I just got done backing up my dads truck and I almost ran into my moms car because i slammed my foot down. I couldn't help myself I just am not used to controlling how hard I push down on a pedal with my foot. I don't think my dad is gonna let me back his truck up again any time soon.

User Info Menu

My teacher will give me music to read, then the next time I go, he'll make me play the snare parts with the bass drum. Then, on to a more complicated piece of music, then swap the snare and bass again. Works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManMonkey View Post
    playing rudiments between hands and feet is one of the best ways to create independence
    just so i understand....do you mean, for example, palying paradiddles, like

RLRR LRLL (R=foot, then switch to L=foot???)

i have a terribly weak L foot and want to be able to play straight 1/4's and then 1/8's (hihat foot) while working in the R foot on the bass & hands...when, all around.

anyone got some tips on how to improve on this? thanks a bundle

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luddy71 View Post

i have a terribly weak L foot and want to be able to play straight 1/4's and then 1/8's (hihat foot) while working in the R foot on the bass & hands...when, all around.

yeah im pretty sure thats what he means

User Info Menu

Practice. Just approach it with confidence, slow it down to a tempo you can deal with it, hear what it sounds like, get it feeling comfortable, then speed up.

That's it really.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Sorry for not being clearer
    For independece between right hand and right foot
    If B = Bass and H =Right Hand i would play:
    paradiddles: BHBB HBHH or
    double paradiddles: HBHBHH BHBHBB or
    paraparadiddles: BHBBHH BHBBHH or
    flams: bH hB or
    drags: bbH hhB

I havent't tried it to strengthen my left foot, but i'll have a go and see if if see an improvement
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

Basically, as SWD once said, and advanced drummer should be able to play anything with either their hands, feet or between the two. I can't do this myslef but i'm working towards it

MetalManMonkey: