Thread: soundproofing rooms

User Info Menu

Default soundproofing rooms

theres a great article in DRUM magazine this month about soundproofing a room , for all you guys that are trying to do some soundproofing.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Default Re: soundproofing rooms

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    theres a great article in DRUM magazine this month about soundproofing a room , for all you guys that are trying to do some soundproofing.
    Thanks. I will definitely have to check that out!
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post. I'm interested in reading it.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I've spent the last 2 weeks thinking about how much I could afford to drop on a Home Depot credit card to build a room-in-a-room in my garage. That article got me on track.

User Info Menu

i read it last night. eyeopening to say the least. room within a room.
    ditch the eggcartons and blankets, acticle states they dont work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    Acoustic treatments only reduce vibrations (noise) but don't eliminate it. Can't stop it if your only attaching things to a surface.

That's how I built the rooms in the studio for a good friend of mine. Room within a room in addition to acoustic foam and rather than traditional sheetrock I used 5/8" quietrock. On the floors I used mlv under a laminate flooring. Solid core doors with "acoustic seals". Very nice once everything was done. It helps that I'm a contractor and carpenter too.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I've spent the last 2 weeks thinking about how much I could afford to drop on a Home Depot credit card to build a room-in-a-room in my garage. That article got me on track.
    The HD cc is gold. Love the no interest stuff they do. Wife and I have utilized that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    The HD cc is gold. Love the no interest stuff they do. Wife and I have utilized that.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence in them. I'd start this weekend, but it's too damn cold out there right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    Yep - this subject comes up from time to time here, and it was a subject that cropped up quite a bit on the Pearl Drummer's Forum as well. It was always interesting to me the confusion that existed regarding the difference between sound treatment, and sound isolation. I always tried to use the anaolgy of the vacuum thermos bottle - the reason the heat stays in is because the only place for any transference of heat is at the lip of the thermos where the inner bottle is connected to the outer sleeve, but even that concept was misunderstood at times.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a copy of the article - it will have some great information in it.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Is that online? I could not find it on their web site. I might have to go hunt down a copy of that!

User Info Menu

i didnt look online ,, the mag came in the mail yesterday.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Went to the local Barns and Noble to pick up the issue because I have been reading a lot about soundproofing the last couple days... The only issue they had was from Oct '11. Might be time for a subscription, hah.

User Info Menu

Haven't got my copy yet....post office must be taking their time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone29 View Post
    Went to the local Barns and Noble to pick up the issue because I have been reading a lot about soundproofing the last couple days... The only issue they had was from Oct '11. Might be time for a subscription, hah.
    I hate that lol. I just subscribed i will be running over to GC to get a copy as i really want to read it.

User Info Menu

I am going to have to check that out. My oldest is moving out this week, so I'll finally have the drum room I've wanted since moving in here.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, is DRUM magazine available in digital form? Because i can't order it here in slovakia or if i could i wouldn't pay for shipping every month.

And to the topic, my friend who measures sound levels and basically works with sound told me that egg cartoons are uselles (they only do some distortion to the sound because of their shape, but not absorb or decrease the volume because they are too thin).
    The point is that the thicker material you use the better soundproofing it is. Maybe the egg cartoons would have an effect if they were stacked to i think 5cm thick.
    Also some thick carpets hung on the walls should work, it really depends on the material and it's density. But basically the thicker material you have the better.

User Info Menu

Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Double layer of sheet rock on a 2x6 plate with alternating studs makes sense but there is a type of wall board specifically built for sound proofing called Quiet Rock. Much cheaper in the long run. Why pay for two (one sided wall) or four (double sided wall as in the article) pieces of 1/2" or 5/8" rock at $10 to $12 for a 4'x8' board when a 4'x8' piece of Quiet Rock is $18? Lets see, two pieces of 1/2" sheet rock= $40, plus 3 tubes of silicone at $1.20 a tube= $3.60 for a total of $43.60 for one sided wall or $87.20 for two-sided wall vs a one piece of 4'x8'x5/8" quiet rock at $18 and a 5lb box of #6 x 1-5/8 in. dry wall screws (which will do several hundred sq.ft.) at $16. This option $$34 for a one sided wall or $68 for a two-sided wall. I have been a contractor/builder for years so I have the "nack" for these kinds of projects and figuring costs. It's a great article but I don't agree with what they are saying is cheap or cost effective. Even if quiet rock is priced at $36 to $40 a sheet you are still saving time and money with screws vs silicone and screws.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 02-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Great guide! If I ever redo my room i'll have to refer back to this page.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Double layer of sheet rock on a 2x6 plate with alternating studs makes sense but there is a type of wall board specifically built for sound proofing called Quiet Rock. Much cheaper in the long run. Why pay for two (one sided wall) or four (double sided wall as in the article) pieces of 1/2" or 5/8" rock at $10 to $12 for a 4'x8' board when a 4'x8' piece of Quiet Rock is $18? Lets see, two pieces of 1/2" sheet rock= $40, plus 3 tubes of silicone at $1.20 a tube= $3.60 for a total of $43.60 for one sided wall or $87.20 for two-sided wall vs a one piece of 4'x8'x5/8" quiet rock at $18 and a 5lb box of #6 x 1-5/8 in. dry wall screws (which will do several hundred sq.ft.) at $16. This option $$34 for a one sided wall or $68 for a two-sided wall. I have been a contractor/builder for years so I have the "nack" for these kinds of projects and figuring costs. It's a great article but I don't agree with what they are saying is cheap or cost effective. Even if quiet rock is priced at $36 to $40 a sheet you are still saving time and money with screws vs silicone and screws.
    So why not go with a 2x6 plate, alternating studs, use screws and use quiet rock without doubling it? Would that be a good compromise between methods? I seems to me that alternating studs would be a good way to go - especially if a person went with 2x3 "studs" rather than the typical 2x4. Creating the dead space would theoretically be a good way to go, and it would be cheaper and easier than doing the room within a room thing.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    So why not go with a 2x6 plate, alternating studs, use screws and use quiet rock without doubling it? Would that be a good compromise between methods? I seems to me that alternating studs would be a good way to go - especially if a person went with 2x3 "studs" rather than the typical 2x4. Creating the dead space would theoretically be a good way to go, and it would be cheaper and easier than doing the room within a room thing.
    Exactly my point. With Quietrock you only need it on the inside and maybe the outside. Therefore only two pieces. And the 2x6 bottom and top plates cut down the middle with alternating 2x3 studs would save money. The whole point of Quietrock is a sound proofing (not letting sound out of the room) wall board so you don't have to use twice as much Sheetrock. The idea of the silicone makes perfect sense; let the sound vibrations hit the layers of rock and the vibrations will be diffused by the silicone allowing the rock to vibrate. One thing the article didn't address is how do you maintain the thickness. I would think you would have to mark the rock every 16", put the silicone on, let it dry, then fasten the rock to the studs and repeat the procedure for the second layer of rock. Wouldn't the silicone, if wet, just squeeze out the sides around the studs and flatten out? The idea is to have the silicone adhere the rock to the studs and the rock to the rock and just use a few screws to to keep it in place. In theory it sounds good but ever pick up a piece of 4'x8'x1/2" piece of rock?
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro