Thread: chops

User Info Menu

Default chops

Hey guys I want to build my chops and needed some opinions on how to build them im trying to see if there are better ways out there than what I do.

User Info Menu

Default Re: chops

Quote Originally Posted by Beetbox View Post
    Hey guys I want to build my chops and needed some opinions on how to build them im trying to see if there are better ways out there than what I do.
    Rudiments; hours, days, and months of practice; and playing many different styles of music.

Rudiments are the foundation upon which chops are built.

Practice: do I really need elaborate?

Different styles of music will expose you to different techniques and dynamics in your playing, and will give you a much deeper well of knowledge from which you may drink. (Please pardon the metaphor )

Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

STICK CONTROL by George L. Stone. This is the Bible and a Must for anyone serious about building stamina and control. Dedicated study of this book will allow you to play anything and everything related to drumming. It is the book Joe Morello based his own publication... Master Studies... on. Do not pass this one by.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    STICK CONTROL by George L. Stone. This is the Bible and a Must for anyone serious about building stamina and control. Dedicated study of this book will allow you to play anything and everything related to drumming. It is the book Joe Morello based his own publication... Master Studies... on. Do not pass this one by.
    I just looked this edition up and it's only $10 USD.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

And worth every penny of it, too!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I own it, and it's a great book. However, don't cheat yourself when practicing from the book. They have instructions on how many times you play it and I suggest you follow that. Also play with a metronome at a variety of tempos on each exercise.

User Info Menu

Ive been doing rudiments on a folded quilt (less bounce than pillow) to work my muscles.

User Info Menu

***HOLA como estas Mi amigo FRANK FIACOVAZ *CREATIVE aRTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) WITHIN GREAT AWARE-NESS WISDOM KNOWLEDGE * EXCELLENTE' Love all these MASTER BOOKS plus REBOUNDS & ACCENTS BYGeorge L STONE and JIM DHAPINS ADVANCED TECHNIQUES for THE MODERN JAZZ DRUMMER *WHAT ever works for the CREATIVE open minded ARTIST is ALL great within all their artistic Journeys **GRACIAS