Thread: drum rims

User Info Menu

Default drum rims

What everyones take on die cast rims verses pressed metal either 1,6mm or 2.00 thick, pros and cons????

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum rims

Here is my take on Die Cast rims:
    1. more durable
    2. applies the pressure on the heads more evenly (which allows easier tuning).
    3. able to withstand hard hitting without going out of tune
    4. looks better
    5. but, more expensive.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on triple flanged hoops:
    1. More stick rebound than diecast hoops
    2. Less rigid than diecast hoops which provide better contact of shell and drum head if shell is out of round or bearing edges are bad or cheap heads are used
    3. More forgiving tuning threshold
    4. Less overtones than diecast hoops
    5. Affordable

User Info Menu

My take on Die Cast Hoops is that I love them. Easier tuning and stays tuned. Strong and durable compared to my single flang that I have on my steel snare which I have to tune up evrytime I want to use it.

User Info Menu

2.3 mm tripple flanged hoops are pretty sweet. I find that they hold their tuning well and are by no means difficult to tune. They sound more open than diecast hoops. You can always use rings or moon gel to tone them down, but you can only make a diecast hoop sound so open. I could see using diecast hoops on snare drums, but I'd never even dream of using them on toms.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    2.3 mm tripple flanged hoops are pretty sweet. I find that they hold their tuning well and are by no means difficult to tune. They sound more open than diecast hoops. You can always use rings or moon gel to tone them down, but you can only make a diecast hoop sound so open. I could see using diecast hoops on snare drums, but I'd never even dream of using them on toms.
    Mapex chooses to use triple flanged hoops on their kit, right up to the top of the line. The reason is that they feel it allows the shells to resonate more freely. I tend to agree that dampening the resonance is one of the trade-offs with a die cast hoop. I'm not necessarily calling that bad, because it depends on what sound you like. I've got snares with die casy hoops, and snares without, and yet I like each one of my snares for different reasons.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

When playing metal or jazz, diecast. Rock, country or pop, triple flange. IMO what heads you're using is just as important. Some heads just don't seem to work for me with certain rims.

I can't say I really agree with the idea that one rim or the other tunes or holds tuning better then the other.
    Last edited by Riverr1; 03-04-2011 at 02:14 PM.