Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hum from amp!

User Info Menu

Default Hum from amp!

Hi all, when I plug my Yamaha DTX Multi 12 or my Yamaha DTX700 into my combo amp I get a hum from the combo.even when the sound modules are switched off.
    BUT when I pull the adaptor lead out off the Multi 12 and the DTX 700 the hum goes!
    Any ideas please.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hum from amp!

Sounds like a ground problem. What kind of connectors are they?

User Info Menu

line level adaptor?

User Info Menu

The Roland amp has a standard UK 3 pin plug the sound modules have mainis adaptors also three pin (I wouldn't have thought that the earth pin would be connected on these adaptors as there are only 2 wires) And the module is connected via a standard jack lead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shezza View Post
    The Roland amp has a standard UK 3 pin plug the sound modules have mainis adaptors also three pin (I wouldn't have thought that the earth pin would be connected on these adaptors as there are only 2 wires) And the module is connected via a standard jack lead.
    When you say, "a standard jack lead", are you talking about XLR, MIDI, Stereo jack, or other?

User Info Menu

stereo jack TRS (tip ring sleeve)???

User Info Menu

I guess what I am unclear about is how the Yamaha DTX Multi 12 or the Yamaha DTX700 is plugged in to the amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I guess what I am unclear about is how the Yamaha DTX Multi 12 or the Yamaha DTX700 is plugged in to the amp.
    Most ekit modules have a left and right output like this roland TD7:

User Info Menu

OK, that's awesome. Is it the same plug on the other end that goes to the amp?(I guess that is what I was ultimately trying to figure out)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    OK, that's awesome. Is it the same plug on the other end that goes to the amp?(I guess that is what I was ultimately trying to figure out)
    Yes, it would go into the input marked as 'Line':

User Info Menu

The lead from the sound module is a standard guitar type lead with 1/4 jack on each end
    coming from the left (mono) into the combo line in

User Info Menu

Have you tested the problem by using another cable?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yes, it would go into the input marked as 'Line':
    OK, that's good. The reason I asked is sometimes people use the XLR input. I have had problems with humming noise like this in the past and had to use a laptop interface with ground lift to circumvent the humming.

User Info Menu

Are you by any chance using speaker cables and not instrument? They look similar, but I remember hearing about some type of distortion when speaker cables are used. They are meant for different inputs and signals, you might try replacing the current cable with a new instrument type and see if it changes. Changing the cable can do wonders for the clarity of a signal, and clear up distortion.

PS - td-7 is a great module, I have one and love mine!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Bad cord or a ground issue.

User Info Menu

If you have the 1/4 jack plugged in to the amp, what happens when you grab the other jack with your hand? Does it make a humming noise? If it does, it's probably a bad ground. Try a different cable. Just my $.02

User Info Menu

The lead from the sound module is a standard guitar type lead with 1/4 jack on each end
    coming from the left (mono) into the combo line in
    Check the cable shield underneath the 1/4" jack by unthreading the 1/4" connector sleeve. Once the sleeve is unthreaded pull the protective sleeve back and check to see if any of the soldered points are touching anything. As NR posted, it sounds like a grounding issue or bad or broke soldering.

Last edited by late8; 08-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Have checked all leads and they seem to be OK. Just to recap both sound modules when plugged into the combo hum when amp volume is 3/4 way up. The hum is there when the modules are switched off at the wall the hum goes down slightly and goes completely when the adaptor plug is pulled out of the DTX modules.

User Info Menu

Most times when you get hum its through the earth since the earth isnt actually at "zero", you get induction through it, but all the earths are tied together through the earth on the audio line cable, so you get that 50 / 60 hz potential ripple across the signal,

You get it the most on mains power supplies, inline or the wall wart type, and some laptops are horrendous for it. So you can either lift the earth between the two sides, signal source and amp, or what you can do is lift the mains earth from one side. of course i dont want to directly recommend trying that since it involves getting an extension lead and taking the earth outl! but it will work.

User Info Menu

use balanced leads!!!!!!

omg

User Info Menu

Default Help with Roland TD-7

Hi guys... I came across this post and some of you stated to own a Roland TD-7 module?

I recently bought one and I'm having trouble setting a single trigger for a bass drop effect. Ive reset unit to factory settings and the manual is not too helpful.

Any advise or instructions you may recommendh

Thank you so much
    PRHC

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Have checked all leads and they seem to be OK. Just to recap both sound modules when plugged into the combo hum when amp volume is 3/4 way up. The hum is there when the modules are switched off at the wall the hum goes down slightly and goes completely when the adaptor plug is pulled out of the DTX modules.

100% ground issue I say. I have the same issue. the more stuff i get plugged in the worse it gets (things into the wall and the pa) Go out and buy an outlet checker. they arn't that expensive. Plug it in every power outlet and check. I'd say 99% you have a bad ground or improper wiring. It is very very common and causes this.

Option 2 would be a bad cable, but I'm going with ground problem.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a "ground loop". Unplug the amp from the wall and put one of those cheap non-grounded adapter plugs on the power cord going into the wall. Many guitar amps have a "ground lift" switch on them, to get rid of hum. All they do is disconnect the ground - same as this plug.

Last edited by Qoncussion; 01-27-2017 at 11:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Did you ever stop to think that it may be humming because it doesn't know the words?

User Info Menu

2012? LOL the guy with the problem has probably long moved on.

all the best...