Thread: Newbie with some questions!

User Info Menu

Default Newbie with some questions!

Hey folks, hope you're all well!

Just a quick background of me - I had drum lessons for about 2.5 months a couple of years ago but had to stop for personal reasons. Before that I had had some experience with snare and tenor drumming with a pipe band, but the lessons awakened a real love of drums in me.

Since then, I have been trying desperately to find a basic, cheap kit but either money or personal circumstance wouldn't allow. I now, finally, have a simple 5-piece kit with which to learn on.

The problem is, do I get lessons or do I self-teach. I am a musician anyway, and have learnt to read drum sheet music, so should I just work on it on my own or should I employ the help of a teacher?

Obviously things like rudiments are a must either way, but are there any more tips and tricks you can give me?

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie with some questions!

Hi,
    I don't know if I am qualified to give you an answer! seeing as I have only been playing 6 years, but I know that my tutor has really, really helped me.
    I guess I could have learned to drum without him, because it feels natural to me to drum. But I know I wouldn't have become as rounded in my playing without him!
    He has shown me the value of rudiments and technical exercises, and my sight reading and everything has improved so much, I like that I can ask him about anything drums, and he always teaches me something new, every week, big or small.
    I am just going to sit my grade 6 exam.
    So I guess I am saying a tutor is what I would suggest, but you have to find one you get on with and can learn from.

Bridie

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC. I am a self thaught drummer so I realy don't know much about reading music that much but can get bye with simple notations. I have always sat and watched drummers perform songs and from there I would try to play in my own style. We are all different some take lessons , some don't.

User Info Menu

Just play your favorite songs to start with. Start with the slow stuff. First you must develop your muscle memory. Speed comes in time. Try to get a metronome and work on building your inner clock, tempo is very important and most importantly..... Play with your HEART!!!

User Info Menu

My 2¢: get lessons of one type or another via live person or DVD or internet for the musical genré you intend to play. Then practice whatever you learn over and over and over, again.
    Reading the notation won't help your coordination nor will it make you develop good habits, techniques, etc. at the kit.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Get a teacher if you can, but make sure you don't get some hack who does it for the money and leaves you with bad habits that will take time to fix.

If you can't find a good teacher, you can teach yourself. I did (along with several other people on the forum), and I haven't done too bad.

User Info Menu

Although there are some merits to hiring a teacher. You run the risk of getting a bad one. Or some old school guy that won't let you play until you can read notation first. There are plenty of step by step drum lessons on the net these days that do the same thing a teacher would have you do. From how to hold your sticks, to all of the rudiments, to learning different beats. It's all out there. I would start by teaching myself first. Then if you feel as if you can't discern whether or not your doing it right, then go the teacher route.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

We live in world were virtually everyone is a click away. Ask around here Im sure one of the more experienced guys would be happy to skype (or whatever) a couple of basic get you going lessons.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies folks, really appreciate it!

I think I'll do as most of you suggest and start with teaching myself, get back to grip with the basic beats, rudiments, techniques, etc.

I noticed there's loads of sub-boards on here so I'll take a nosey through them, see what I can't find that might help.

It's so nice to meet people with varying skills and experience on the drums! Where I am, they're few and far between so it's lovely to meet like-minded people

PS, I LOVE these smilies!!

User Info Menu

-i'm self taught but I do wish I learned to read and had someone show me the correct way to do rudiments and all that. For an example Kenny Arnoff (Mellencamp) gets work because he is soooo schooled with his drumming. Watch the video I posted in one of the electric kit threads. It's an eye opener.

I am happy in a way to think that being self taught kinda brings out individual style. There's probably no truth to that but who's to judge art? It comes from within. Look at what Jimi Hendrix did.
    Last edited by slinky; 10-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Very true Slinky!

Thanks for the tip about the vid!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    If you can't find a good teacher, you can teach yourself. I did (along with several other people on the forum), and I haven't done too bad.
    Now there is the understatement of the year, right there!

Welcome to Drum Chat munchkin!

I went the teacher route, but then you have to remember that the teacher can show you the way, but the progress will all be about your own efforts.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I use:

1. Stick Control by George Stone - I try to do exercises with both hands and feet
    2. Master Studies by Joe Morello
    3. Occasional tutoring, $50 an hour, on an ad hoc basis.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Now there is the understatement of the year, right there!

Welcome to Drum Chat munchkin!

I went the teacher route, but then you have to remember that the teacher can show you the way, but the progress will all be about your own efforts.
    Plus, if my memory serves me correctly, she wasn't hard on the eyes

User Info Menu

Forgive me for jumping in so late, I have been away for awhile....

My best advice is to get a teacher, but be careful about who. I went through a reputable school and if I hadn't watched a video that someone sent me, I wouldn't have realized how inept the drummer they sent me was. He did teach me a few things, but he skipped over the real rudiments.

Everyone really is just a click away, and I think most anyone on here would be willing to guide you in the right direction until you decide if you want "formal" training.

Good Luck, and welcome.

I love the smilies, too. That one is my favorite. I'm still trying to post something so I can use it.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

TwoCables Guest

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    Hey folks, hope you're all well!

Just a quick background of me - I had drum lessons for about 2.5 months a couple of years ago but had to stop for personal reasons. Before that I had had some experience with snare and tenor drumming with a pipe band, but the lessons awakened a real love of drums in me.

Since then, I have been trying desperately to find a basic, cheap kit but either money or personal circumstance wouldn't allow. I now, finally, have a simple 5-piece kit with which to learn on.

The problem is, do I get lessons or do I self-teach. I am a musician anyway, and have learnt to read drum sheet music, so should I just work on it on my own or should I employ the help of a teacher?

Obviously things like rudiments are a must either way, but are there any more tips and tricks you can give me?

Thanks in advance!
    I sincerely and strongly recommend lessons. I'm 100% self-taught and I've been playing for 20 years, but when I watch people who have had good lessons from a good teacher who have only been playing for 5-10 years, they make me feel as though I haven't made any real progress. Although, I haven't tried that hard either - but I believe my lack of effort is due to not going out and finding a good teacher.

The only way I would recommend being self-taught is if you are very good at keeping yourself motivated and keeping yourself disciplined. As Mike Mangini said in his recent interview in the latest Musician's Friend catalog, you have to ask yourself the following question when you go to play your drums: am I going to play them right now in order to get better, or just to have fun? After reading that, I realized that I have never played my drums in order to get better. At least, not that I can remember. I think I was always just hoping that I'd get better simply by playing and trying to apply the things that I thought that I learned from instructional videos and other things I picked up from watching the professionals. Now I realize that practicing by myself was just a release and so now I know why I'm not very good.

Take Cobus for example. He's only been playing for about 10 years, yet he sounds to me like he's been playing for well over 20 years. I learned how long he has been playing about 3 or 4 days ago, and I was honestly kind of depressed after that. It really highlighted just how true it is that you can only reap what you sow. Or, it has to taste bitter before it can taste sweet. I would bet that he went through a ton of bitter-tasting moments in order to get to all of these sweet-tasting moments that he seems to constantly be having.

I know that it's never too late, but I'm 34 years old. I could literally be like 10 times better than I am if I had taken lots of good lesson and if I had really pushed myself. Try to find a good teacher, meaning, try to find one who is a lot like you want to be, someone who plays with just about no effort.

User Info Menu

I never tried or wanted to get to a level like a Mangini or Bozzio (not that i could). Never looked at the drums in that way. Always just wanted to be part of a band and never a soloist. It's a lot of fun to watch those guys though. i went to one phenomenal Bozzio clinic.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My first choice would be taking lessons from a teacher. I am primarily self-taught having very few lessons (and practicing very little of what I was supposed to for the lessons) and I know I have made my progress slower and my abilities could be much better had I been mentored. My second option would be to use online lessons from, say, Drum Chat's lesson area. Today the lessons and information are very accessible. But as has been mentioned, look for a teacher that is giving lessons for the right reasons and if you use the net look for credible sites (like Drum Chat).
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 10-28-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
    I sincerely and strongly recommend lessons. I'm 100% self-taught and I've been playing for 20 years, but when I watch people who have had good lessons from a good teacher who have only been playing for 5-10 years, they make me feel as though I haven't made any real progress. Although, I haven't tried that hard either - but I believe my lack of effort is due to not going out and finding a good teacher.

The only way I would recommend being self-taught is if you are very good at keeping yourself motivated and keeping yourself disciplined. As Mike Mangini said in his recent interview in the latest Musician's Friend catalog, you have to ask yourself the following question when you go to play your drums: am I going to play them right now in order to get better, or just to have fun? After reading that, I realized that I have never played my drums in order to get better. At least, not that I can remember. I think I was always just hoping that I'd get better simply by playing and trying to apply the things that I thought that I learned from instructional videos and other things I picked up from watching the professionals. Now I realize that practicing by myself was just a release and so now I know why I'm not very good.

Take Cobus for example. He's only been playing for about 10 years, yet he sounds to me like he's been playing for well over 20 years. I learned how long he has been playing about 3 or 4 days ago, and I was honestly kind of depressed after that. It really highlighted just how true it is that you can only reap what you sow. Or, it has to taste bitter before it can taste sweet. I would bet that he went through a ton of bitter-tasting moments in order to get to all of these sweet-tasting moments that he seems to constantly be having.

I know that it's never too late, but I'm 34 years old. I could literally be like 10 times better than I am if I had taken lots of good lesson and if I had really pushed myself. Try to find a good teacher, meaning, try to find one who is a lot like you want to be, someone who plays with just about no effort.
    Great post.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

TwoCables Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Great post.
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

In my opinion, what matters most is how often and consistently you practice. You can learn from a teacher or on your own, but if you do not practice a lot, you will not develop your skill. I really do think that's the biggest piece of the puzzle. Like TwoCables, I feel that I could be much better (been doing this for 30+ years)...but I took a long break a few years ago and just don't practice as much as in my youth. Career and family really do take priority for me
    So, PRACTICE as much as you need to be as good as you want.
    TEARL

www.BreakingSilenceCO.com

I play PDP (X-7 Maple) and Sabian Xs...mostly because I'm not rich

User Info Menu

Do everything. Learn from other people. I play along with the radio a lot. Practice rudiments. Every little bit helps.