Thread: can any one help

User Info Menu

Question can any one help

hi all

i am new to the site so many thanks for letting me join.

anyway i need advice im dont know if anyone else has this prob so here goes
    the problem is with my bass foot and my right (high hat) hand.
    when im doing a steady 1234 on the high hat thats fine but when i do a different beat on my bass drum ,my high hat hand seems to want to follow my bass, i hope this makes sence,and need your help

many thanks
    gods heartbeat

User Info Menu

take things slow, that happens to all of us when we try to increse bass difficulty in the beginning, yoou want to add a different bass pattern just start doing it slow but in the right way and then build up. i think its a natural thing for your hi hat hand to want to follow your bass foot, happened to me too A LOT lol, but take it slow and work on it and when you build up to the speed you want you should be more the better for it
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

Cool can anyone help?

Welcome, gods heartbeat!

mulla, good call! I don't know how long you've been playin', GH, but just take it step by step, one step at a time...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Yeah GH, just like they said, we've all been there! I still have to slow things way down whenever I do something new, because I still don't have full independence. You just have to teach your brain, and muscles, new tricks. The cool part is that your brain, and muscles, are up to the challenge. It just takes a little time. One day you will wake up, and it will start to happen! Just don't get discouraged.

That's what this site is all about, BTW. We encourage each other, and share what we have learned. In my case I share more encouragement than anything else, but there are some truly experienced folks around here that can answer just about anything!

Welcome to Drum Chat GH (I like the name)!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yeah GH, just like they said, we've all been there! I still have to slow things way down whenever I do something new, because I still don't have full independence. You just have to teach your brain, and muscles, new tricks. The cool part is that your brain, and muscles, are up to the challenge. It just takes a little time. One day you will wake up, and it will start to happen! Just don't get discouraged.

That's what this site is all about, BTW. We encourage each other, and share what we have learned. In my case I share more encouragement than anything else, but there are some truly experienced folks around here that can answer just about anything!

Welcome to Drum Chat GH (I like the name)!

The great thing about it too, is that once you learn this stuff your body never forgets it. It will come, as others have said take it slow and you will progress. There isn't a lot that you can do that will bring more personal satisfaction than to evercome obsticles with your drumming.

User Info Menu

What everyone else here has said. Take it slow. Welcome to DrumChat.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Just to be different, im gonna say that you should take it as fast as you can.

Only joking, take it SLOW.

User Info Menu

I think it would be better if you find a teacher or someone to show you a few things to start.
    And remember: Slow is the way to go
    Last edited by saturn; 01-25-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

not to sound cliche but TAKE IT SLOW
    lifes too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

User Info Menu

also practice the individual elements of the beat on there own and then slowly bring them together...

Maybe start with the bass,
    then add the hats on 1-2-3-4,
    then the hats on 1-&-2-&-3-&-4-&
    then add the snare.
    Or hats, bass and then snare.
    Work out what feels best and try that.

and be prepared to stuff up heaps... but don't get frustrated, just keep going until you get it. We all go through it.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up A Huge Thanks

HI all
    thanks for all the addvice i will take it slower that seems to be the answer from you all.im so glad i joined keep up the drumming guys and girls.

many thanks
    gods heartbeat

User Info Menu

rub your belly and pat your head at the same time,then switch positions, if you cant do it real smooth at first, slow it down !! Drumming is exactly the same, its called independence and its hard to get. practice practice practice.
    Warning to fellow players do not try this while chewing gum!!

User Info Menu

yeah it just takes a ton of practice, you will finally get independence starting with your feet, and then hands. its awesome

700 posts!

User Info Menu

the biggest thing with drumming is building limb independence
    this will come with time
    its the hardest and most discouraging part of durmming
    but keep going
    it gets better =]
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    rub your belly and pat your head at the same time,then switch positions, if you cant do it real smooth at first, slow it down !! Drumming is exactly the same, its called independence and its hard to get. practice practice practice.
    Warning to fellow players do not try this while chewing gum!!
    Actually that's co-ordination, not independance. Reason being that's motor funtion of both hemispheres using the same limbs, while what he is describing is independant motor function of both limbs controleld by the same hemisphere. Not to be pedantic or anything......

Seriously though, screw it - if it aint working, just give up. If you haven't gotten it after like a week you never will so don't bother. What's that saying? Give up - at some point hagning in there just makes you look like a bigger loser.

Anyways - all the best
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

what you have to do it slow it down to a tempo in which you can think of what all 4 (or in your case 2) limbs are doing. If you still can't get it, slow it down even more. If you still have trouble, practice just the bass drum rhythm, until you have it down 100%, then add the hats (still at he slow tempo) then once you become comfortable with that, increase the tempo a little bit, and keep doin that until you can play what you want up to the speed you want