Thread: Paint chipping, is there a fix?

User Info Menu

Default Paint chipping, is there a fix?

I bought a new drum kit today http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...344#post113344. IT was a great decision but I am having 1 small problem with it and that is the paint where the bass drum hoop meets the pedal is chipping. Is there a fix for this? I was thinking getting some black model paint and just cover it. Here are some pics, let me know what you think.

(In the last picture there is a scratch on the bottom of the bass drum, where my finger is pointing. I'm pretty sure this is OK because this kit was on display in the store, but just to make sure; how fast should I be thinking about buying cases? I don't gig often but I will be bringing this to band practice at my guitarists house.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paint chipping, is there a fix?

hey toast, just get some kind of foam and put that between your hoop and the clamp of the pedal. If you going to cart the kit around, better to invest in some cases!
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Two suggestions: 1. Buy the pre-cut rubber pads made for dum hoops. Two pcs. per bag. I use one for the bass pedal and the other on top hoop for cowbell mount. 2. Buy some Dr. Schools MoleSkin ( drug store). Cut strips to size that will fold onto the hoop . Remove the backing and stick onto the hoop where your bass pedal clamp is. Mole Skin also makes a good head protector from the bass drum pedal mallet.

If you want to touch up the chipping, sand smooth, fill in with wood filler, sand that smooth and let dry hard. They paint...acrylic black likes real nice. I've done this before on my kit and it will do the trick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Two suggestions: 1. Buy the pre-cut rubber pads made for dum hoops. Two pcs. per bag. I use one for the bass pedal and the other on top hoop for cowbell mount. 2. Buy some Dr. Schools MoleSkin ( drug store). Cut strips to size that will fold onto the hoop . Remove the backing and stick onto the hoop where your bass pedal clamp is. Mole Skin also makes a good head protector from the bass drum pedal mallet.

If you want to touch up the chipping, sand smooth, fill in with wood filler, sand that smooth and let dry hard. They paint...acrylic black likes real nice. I've done this before on my kit and it will do the trick.
    are you gellen?

be carfule though, if the paint it chipping then the sticky stuff may make it worse.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

Thanks, I will be trying the mole skin asap (the chipping fix too) and let you know how it works out.

User Info Menu

use a green felt marker or as close a color as possible on the base drum scratch and use a pedal protector on the hoops, Frank gave you a good suggestion with the DR. Scholls mole skin. I use a purpose made hoop protector that was made by Gibraltar that I bought at a music store and it has worked really well in protecting my hoops. I have had my kit for over 6 years now and I still don't have a mark or scratch anywhere on them.