Thread: Do wooden beaters wear out bass batter head faster than felt beaters??

User Info Menu

Question Do wooden beaters wear out bass batter head faster than felt beaters??

Do wooden beaters wear out bass batter heads faster than felt beaters?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do wooden beaters wear out bass batter head faster than felt beaters??

How hard do you hit? There is a lot to that equation but I suppose all things being equal, the felt is slightly less harsh on the head. If you use an impact pad of some sort I don't think the difference in usable life would be that drastic. Now if you have a lead foot, then there could be more of a difference.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do wooden beaters wear out bass batter head faster than felt beaters??

Bass batters beaten by bubinga beaters barely break before bass batters beaten by bouncy beaters.
    Better?
    2003 Mapex Limited Edition Artist Select
    8,10,12,14 and 16 toms in natural finish
    22x18 kick - 13" Black Panther snare
    Mostly Sabian and Meinl cymbals, with 22" Zildjian Amir ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crosswire View Post
    Bass batters beaten by bubinga beaters barely break before bass batters beaten by bouncy beaters.
    Better?
    Booo...

User Info Menu

They do wear it faster. depending on the sound I want, I tape a square from an old head on the Bass head where the beater hits to take the wear.

Andy

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I saw a post on here like a while ago saying wooden beaters don't do as much damage as a felt one because they're smoother. I kinda agree with this though because the felt is kinda like sandpaper in a way if you compare it to a smooth wooden beater.

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    How hard do you hit? There is a lot to that equation but I suppose all things being equal, the felt is slightly less harsh on the head. If you use an impact pad of some sort I don't think the difference in usable life would be that drastic. Now if you have a lead foot, then there could be more of a difference.
    I guess I hit a little harder than normal.
    I don't play double bass.
    oh and I don't bury my beater if that does anything.
    Last edited by Nik276; 09-03-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Just make sure they're hitting 'square,' and add a beater patch if you're really worried about it, I'd say.

User Info Menu

Just make sure they're hitting 'square,' and add a beater patch if you're really worried about it, I'd say.
    Yeah, it's hitting square to the head and yeah I have a remo patch on there.
    I still want to know which one is more abusive though..

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Do wooden beaters wear out bass batter heads faster than felt beaters?
    yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    yes
    +1
    Matt

dave0549jv Guest

i would think the wood ones would definitely wear faster. it's not really a question of which one is smoother, its which one is harder. the felt beaters have a bit of give to them, so the energy of the impact is absorbed by the head and the beater. the wood doesnt really give.

which would hurt more? being hit in the face with a pillow or a 2x4?

User Info Menu

What you guys have to remember is that felt causes a great deal of friction, which essentially sands down whatever it's hitting against. A wood beater is the same material as a wood drumstick and a bass drum batter head is the same material as a tom batter head. Batter heads on toms can last a LONG time, so I'd imagine that the felt does more damage. Both are slamming against the head, but only one is also drilling a hole.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    What you guys have to remember is that felt causes a great deal of friction, which essentially sands down whatever it's hitting against. A wood beater is the same material as a wood drumstick and a bass drum batter head is the same material as a tom batter head. Batter heads on toms can last a LONG time, so I'd imagine that the felt does more damage. Both are slamming against the head, but only one is also drilling a hole.
    You really might want to rethink this.

User Info Menu

That Remo patch is made of Lexan, I believe, so this is not that big of an issue if it is on there.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    You really might want to rethink this.
    Why is that? I'm ok with being incorrect, but would like to know why.

The reason I think the felt is worse is because I frequent another forum devoted to e-kits. On this forum the issue of beaters has been discussed ad nauseam because there are many horror stories of felt beaters eating through kick triggers. I've even had it happen myself on my Gibraltar practice kick pad. As a result, everyone recommends using wood or plastic beaters, or a bass drum patch, on your e-kit but NEVER going with a felt beater raw against the kick trigger. I'd assume the felt beaters are doing the same to the bass drum head.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I think I'm with Dante on this one.
    I can't say from experience because I have only used felt beaters but what I think is even though felt beaters are soft-ish, they create more friction than wooden beaters with all that fiber-y stuff so it's like sandpaper in a way. Wooden beaters, even though they don't have give, since they are smooth, it doesn't create as much friction.
    This is just what I think.

Dave: This might be kinda weird but what I think is, a 2x4 would hurt more but you would only be bruised and no scrapes because its smooth, but the pillow after a while, the cloth will start scraping your skin off.
    I don't think the impact is what wears the head down because they both impact with about the same amount of force anyways. If the felt beater was like a mini pillow it would be really quiet, but its not. It's heavier than that. The weight is basically the same as the wooden one so you're are basically striking with about the same amount of force.
    Again, this is just what I think.

Sorry if I said something stupid haha. It's late.
    Last edited by Nik276; 09-04-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Using felt beaters on a Roland E-kick with a mesh head is a problem over time. It can wear through. I try and use hard plastic or wood.

User Info Menu

to be absolutely honest. either way, i think the difference would not really be noticeable.
    The is +'s and -'s for both, but as i said, dont think it would be noticeable.

User Info Menu

For all you guys who are saying that plastic/wood beaters will cause less damage.....

In about a year, I broke FOUR bass drum batter heads, and one of those was a 2-ply EMAD2. I was using the plastic beater that came with my pedal. I switched to felt beaters about eight months ago and haven't broken a single head since.

So I can say from personal experience that plastic/wood will break a mylar head on an acoustic drum ALOT faster than felt. I've never owned an e-kit so I have no idea if it would be a different situation there.
    Matt

User Info Menu

@Yohin:
    Do you use a kick pad, where the batters hit?

I just can't imagine breaking a kick head, I guess.
    The Super Kick II that was on my kit when I got it looks years old, and going strong. Plastic beaters, here.
    The kick pad shows signs of wear... but that's about it.

Granted, I've only been kickin on it myself for the last 6 months or so.
    (And maybe I don't kick as hard as others, I dunno)
    Last edited by Crosswire; 09-04-2010 at 04:32 PM.

User Info Menu

@Yohin:
    Do you use a kick pad, where the batters hit?

I just can't imagine breaking a kick head, I guess.
    The Super Kick II that was on my kit when I got it looks years old, and going strong. Plastic beaters, here.
    The kick pad shows signs of wear... but that's about it.

Granted, I've only been kickin on it myself for the last 6 months or so.
    (And maybe I don't kick as hard as others, I dunno)
    Nah, I don't use a kick pad. Everything was equal except the beaters. In the amount of time it took the plastic beaters to go through 3 heads, the felt beater has not gone through any.
    Matt