Thread: Nice drums fill, what is he doing exactly

User Info Menu

Default Nice drums fill, what is he doing exactly

I've always though this was a nice sounding drum fill. However I have never been able to get it to sound the same as this guy does. I can figure out what he's doing, sticking, maybe a kick tossed in? It has a nice rhythmic feel to it. I do it with the kick in between the snare and toms but i can't seem to make it sound a fluid. Is he even using the kick? I've tried it both with and without, need some input from other drummers.

You can fast forward to 1:20 the fill starts at 1:22.

Last edited by NPYYZ; 03-25-2016 at 07:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Nice drums fill, what is he doing exactly

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I've always though this was a nice sounding drum fill. However I have never been able to get it to sound the same as this guy does. I can figure out what he's doing, sticking, maybe a kick tossed in? It has a nice rhythmic feel to it. I do it with the kick in between the snare and toms but i can't seem to make it sound a fluid. Is he even using the kick? I've tried it both with and without, need some input from other drummers.

You can fast forward to 1:20 the fill starts at 1:22.

https://youtu.be/t9Ir7cHYDdo
    Cool fill and very smooth! I saw that the drummers name was Gary Driscoll.
    I'd say he's definitely using the kick inbetween there.
    I don't know how to properly write it but it sounds like this sticking basically to me moving from the 1st tom, 2nd tom then floor tom. "F" meaning foot. On the repeat, he goes from snare, tom, floor.
    RLRF RLRF RLRL LRL ..repeat
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-25-2016 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't think he's using the BD at all. It sounds like a roll on the up tom, 3 beats on the snare, 2 more beats on the up tom then finish on the floor.

User Info Menu

I deleted my post here because I think I'm ok with my previous.
    Also, I just physically tried playing that fill...ha ha..not easy! After about 10 plus tries or so it got smoother but yeah...nice fill.
    Did I get it to sound like that one?....no
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-25-2016 at 11:41 PM.

User Info Menu

It's hard to hear a kick in that mix.....(at least with my headphones and youtube video). He may not be using a kick at all - but I'd bet he is. Maybe like a pattern similar to what's below. Give or take an light accent here and there and a big fat choked tom placement or two.

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I'm going to mess with this fill later and see if it's what I think it is.

User Info Menu

Cool Rick! Please let us know what you think.
    After listening to it again, I believe its played snare to tom then floor tom both times but it's kind of muffled that first time.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-27-2016 at 07:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Cool Rick! Please let us know what you think.
    After listening to it again, I believe its played snare to tom then floor tom both times but it's kind of muffled that first time.
    Yeah....you may be right.

Back then everyone used big toms - even the rack toms were 14 inches sometimes and most had 18 inch floor toms too. Plus the fact that the drums have the 70's choked sound...over muffled and flat sounding, quite possibly no resos - it's difficult to decipher any pitch change from what could be a simple accentuated hit.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Here'a a try at it but it sure doesn't have the same feel as the tune yet. rusty..

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-29-2016 at 09:07 PM.

User Info Menu

^nice work

User Info Menu

I have always enjoyed Gary Driscoll's drumming on that first Blackmore's Rainbow record, since I first bought it back in the 70's. He was the drummer in Dio's previous band, Elf, as well. I procured some Elf material on mp3, much more recently. The drumming style was immediately recognizable. Excellent rhythmic use of cowbell on several of the those songs, with both bands (Still I'm Sad, Black Swampy Water, etc.)

Ultimately, his was a sad story, though.

User Info Menu

I wish I could hear it better, but I think it may be done something like this.

User Info Menu

It's very difficult to hear. I don't think that there is any use of the kick drum. Sounds like 16th notes spread across the snare and toms. The key is that he did it in a very tasty fashion (timing and sticking). I believe it's called finesse and artistry as opposed to just beating the crap out of your drums when you play.

User Info Menu

I wish I could help NPYYZ.
    I've been messing with it but getting frustrated.
    I've tried some things but still not sounding right to me.
    It's probably something simple that I may be missing and think it may be closer to the first vid I've posted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I wish I could help NPYYZ.
    I've been messing with it but getting frustrated.
    I've tried some things but still not sounding right to me.
    It's probably something simple that I may be missing and think it may be closer to the first vid I've posted.

Segment 3 is how I was doing it. Sounds darn close to me. Although Some of What Rick was doing sounded close as well.

User Info Menu

Man I just don't know, after listening to the original again with earbuds now I'm not sure if he is using the kick drum. May just be very well done dynamics on the toms that's fooling me.

User Info Menu

Rick may be on to something with the crossover theory. It sounds like Gary uses that technique at the beginning of this song. This guy is a master of cool fills.

https://youtu.be/hRpsA-UvJDg

User Info Menu

May just be very well done dynamics on the toms that's fooling me.
    IMHO, this is correct.

User Info Menu

Rick may be on to something with the crossover theory. It sounds like Gary uses that technique at the beginning of this song. This guy is a master of cool fills.

https://youtu.be/hRpsA-UvJDg

... was a master. Gary Driscoll was murdered in 1987 : (

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    ... was a master. Gary Driscoll was murdered in 1987 : (
    Haven't found the killer to this day. Person of interest fled the country.