Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your first drum set

User Info Menu

Default Re: Your first drum set

This is my first kit I bought used back in '83 from a good friend for $350 usd. It was a sun faded sparkle green back in its orginial form but I had it poorly re-wrapped (not on purpose) by a drum shop noob who told me he knew what he was doing nearly 20 years ago. The wrap looks great from "10 feet" away.

My friend died from complications brought on by colon cancer last year.

This kit will remain with me until my time comes and will be donated to a public school in need of a good solid drum set. The spirit of this kit will live on!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by late8; 10-30-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerJeremy View Post
    Hey pastor bob,
    That looks nice for a starter set, the d2 is 9 ply mahogany right? How did it sound for you?
    DJ, it wasn't a bad kit at all. You are right that it is a 9 ply shell, and it is a standard Luan (Philippine Mahagony) kit, but with the right heads, and good tuning (it took me a while to understand how to do that) it sounds pretty good for learning to play. Obviously, I wouldn't vouch for it's ability to hold up under gigging, but for keeping it in one place and practicing, it's fine. That's why I decided to hold on to it for my son. My Gretsch Catalina Maple kit does project much better than the D2, but I sure don't hate the D2 kit, and I have taken it to my brother's house to spend some time playing together.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ok don't laugh, this is a old pic of my first set, but the time this pic was taken I had the set almost three years, the pic was taken in 1970. Dixie drums and I had purchased an old marching snare and then took my original snare and mounted it as a tom! weird,Look at the ride cymbal angle! just thought that was the way back then. I really don't remember all the cymbals, just know the ride was my first Zildjian 20", rode that thing a long time til I cracked it! note the painted BD interior, copied from Easy Rider movie influence..LOL
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Ok don't laugh, this is a old pic of my first set, but the time this pic was taken I had the set almost three years, the pic was taken in 1970. Dixie drums and I had purchased an old marching snare and then took my original snare and mounted it as a tom! weird,Look at the ride cymbal angle! just thought that was the way back then. I really don't remember all the cymbals, just know the ride was my first Zildjian 20", rode that thing a long time til I cracked it! note the painted BD interior, copied from Easy Rider movie influence..LOL
    ..And then, I took a wild guess as to what it might look like in color.
    Last edited by Imperialstar; 10-31-2009 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Holy Drum color batman ( imperialstar ) thats it! almost got drum color there also, it was rootbeer swirl. Nice, you are creative. thanks!, as a footnote, my parents let me paint my bedroom walls the same way and i had a british union jack on the ceiliing. cool
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Holy Drum color batman ( imperialstar ) thats it! almost got drum color there also, it was rootbeer swirl. Nice, you are creative. thanks!, as a footnote, my parents let me paint my bedroom walls the same way and i had a british union jack on the ceiliing. cool
    Rootbeer!

I had no idea on the drums. Never seen the brand. From the B&W photo, they could have been a natural dark mahogany or black.

Union Jack-- the who/beatles influence?
    Last edited by Imperialstar; 10-31-2009 at 01:08 PM.

User Info Menu

my first kit was a frank, combination of power beat, peace and pearl ...