Thread: American Maple vs. Asian Maple

User Info Menu

Default American Maple vs. Asian Maple

I know Asian maple is less expensive than American maple and all the high-end maple kits have American, but is there a difference in sound? Does an Asian maple kit actually sound that much different from an American maple kit? Just wondering.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: American Maple vs. Asian Maple

Since the Asian maple is a looser grain and softer wood, it varies.

Asian maple will sound like maple, but not quite as powerful. Also, American rock maple will have a bit more low end energy because it's more rigid.

The best examples, Asian maple will be anywhere from 7/10 to 9/10 compared to a similar American maple shell.

Compare Catalina maple Gretsch to renown... very, very close.
    Last edited by AL LOY; 05-04-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

User Info Menu

The best is Canadian maple! The extra cold climes create a superior maple tree. Scientific fact. The Maple leaf is our flag for a reason. LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    The Maple leaf is our flag for a reason. LOL

all the best...

hmmmm....maple leaf....??..

All joking aside..your just angry cuz America stole William Shatner from Canada..LOL (joke)

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    The best is Canadian maple! The extra cold climes create a superior maple tree. Scientific fact. The Maple leaf is our flag for a reason. LOL

all the best...
    Yeah really... don't tell anyone but "Keller North American Rock Maple shells" made in New Hampshire, USA...are from Canadian lumber... as are most shells that say that.

Not once does Keller state "American"... it's always "North American" as to encompass Canada.

"Finest Materials
    Our solid relationships with respected providers of premium wood enable us to consistently access the finest materials. We use primarily North American Hard Maple, but work with other prime woods to meet your demands."

"
    Since we began making drum shells for Rogers Drum Company in the 1960’s, our traditional line has been constructed from high-quality North American Maple veneers.

Last edited by AL LOY; 05-05-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

Damo Guest

^ Nothing shonky going on there at all. Canada has a cooler climate than the US generally, and as such is a better environment for growing maple.

In answer to the threadstarters question - No, they dont sound significantly different, but they certainly FEEL different. The harder maple from Canada has better projection and sensitivity, and can usually be machined more accurately to give a wider tuning range.

User Info Menu

if only they grew maple in alaska
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

hey guys, i was just reading this post on maple`s.. i was wondering, do you think there is much difference? i have often too wondered about different maples of the same family but from different areas around the world and if their really is much difference?.. ps dont drummers talk about the most wonderfull topics, you never hear a guitarist or keys man discussing his woods or how his keys feel to him, fantastic!!!!!!!
    cannyd

User Info Menu

There's a difference but most won't notice it, and the audience won't either.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post

hmmmm....maple leaf....??..

All joking aside..your just angry cuz America stole William Shatner from Canada..LOL (joke)

-Les
    You can have him along with Anne Murrey

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AL LOY View Post
    Yeah really... don't tell anyone but "Keller North American Rock Maple shells" made in New Hampshire, USA...are from Canadian lumber... as are most shells that say that.

Not once does Keller state "American"... it's always "North American" as to encompass Canada.

"Finest Materials
    Our solid relationships with respected providers of premium wood enable us to consistently access the finest materials. We use primarily North American Hard Maple, but work with other prime woods to meet your demands."

"
    Since we began making drum shells for Rogers Drum Company in the 1960’s, our traditional line has been constructed from high-quality North American Maple veneers.

Canadas just a suburb of USA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    You can have him along with Anne Murrey

good one

we have maple , you have miami

so you win and keep them both

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Cannyd, I'm not a guitar player but over the years I've known quite a few. You might be surprised how many guitar players are very concerned about the wood in their guitars and guitar necks. An electric guitar with an ash body sounds very different from one with a maple body. I can't tell the difference but they can. So I wouldn't be surprised if guitar playeres couldn't tell the difference in our drums made from North American maple vs Asian maple. I also doubt how many drummers could pass a blindfold test between the two. John

User Info Menu

I dont think Asian maple makes a much noticeable difference in sound but it might affect the tuning spread spectrum little bit being little more porous than "Proudly Canadian Maple" (Asian Maple grow faster than N.A. maple btw).

Oh BTW Here's my Custom RimClick Wedge made of my backyard Canadian Sugar maple tree log

Last edited by mind_drummer; 03-30-2010 at 08:28 AM.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    Oh BTW Here's my Custom RimClick Wedge made of my backyard Canadian Sugar maple tree log

How many calories come with that?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

There's a difference, but you would need dog ears to notice any big differences. With todays technology and machining methods, the gap between mid-level vs high end kits continues to shrink as knowledge expands. The biggest differences now a days is price and hardware. Even the finishes are almost equal, depending on which kits are compared.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    How many calories come with that?

I think it is as much as a cup of Maple syrup...
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC