Thread: Zoom h4n Question

User Info Menu

Default Zoom h4n Question

I just got a Zoom h4n. What is the optimal input level for recording live music? Not using direct line in, just placing in front of the source and using the built in mics. I've been messing around with it and I can't seem to get rid of some distortion. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zoom h4n Question

There are a lot of variables and no one "optimal" input level. Are you clipping when recording? Back the L & R channels down a little. Don't let the meters reach the 100 (0) mark. Don't worry about the level being slightly lower. You will be able to adjust/increase the volume levels with the software when doing your mix on your computer.
    Also, what are you recording...your drums? If so, how close is the recorder from your kit or the source of sound that you're recording? It may be just a matter of moving the recorder away from the sound source. Start with lowering the input levels and make sure the recorder is not too close to the sound source.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    There are a lot of variables and no one "optimal" input level. Are you clipping when recording? Back the L & R channels down a little. Don't let the meters reach the 100 (0) mark. Don't worry about the level being slightly lower. You will be able to adjust/increase the volume levels with the software when doing your mix on your computer.
    Also, what are you recording...your drums? If so, how close is the recorder from your kit or the source of sound that you're recording? It may be just a matter of moving the recorder away from the sound source. Start with lowering the input levels and make sure the recorder is not too close to the sound source.
    No clipping. Recording band practice sessions and gigs. Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    No clipping. Recording band practice sessions and gigs. Thanks for the help.
    You're still getting distortion without clipping? I've done a ton of recording with the built-in mics on my old H4 with good success. However, I've only recorded my band with direct lines going to my H4n so far. Are you using any of the built-in features like the Comp/Limiter? If so, try turning anything that may be activated off and record that way.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    You're still getting distortion without clipping? I've done a ton of recording with the built-in mics on my old H4 with good success. However, I've only recorded my band with direct lines going to my H4n so far. Are you using any of the built-in features like the Comp/Limiter? If so, try turning anything that may be activated off and record that way.
    Will do. Thanks!

User Info Menu

you said no cables ? Do you have good strong batteries ? Any flourescent lighting nearby ? How bout AC wiring , meaning multiple cords from the same circuit running parallel nearby ?
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Turns out I just had to fiddle around with the input levels till it was just right. Range is 0-100. Seems like for my purposes, 30-35 does the trick. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Turns out I just had to fiddle around with the input levels till it was just right. Range is 0-100. Seems like for my purposes, 30-35 does the trick. Thanks.
    Good to hear. I knew you would figure it out eventually. You may have to dial it back more due to the source of the sound being at a higher decible level? Not sure, but at least you're making progress and hopefully some great recordings of your band.
    "it is what it is"