Thread: Hip and back pain after playing.

User Info Menu

Default Hip and back pain after playing.

I was practicing last night on my small drum kit. After two hours of practicing to music. I stood up to leave and I guess you could say old Author decided to pay me a visit. My hips and back were hurting me to where I could hardly walk. Now I see that although I love playing the small drum kits they are to small for me. Or could it be just my age? Getting old sucks. So now that I have my new memory locks it's time to go back to the 22" drum kit. That way I won't be bending over so much to play. Today will be setting up the 22",10",12",14",and 16"drums.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

Angikins Guest

Default Re: Hip and back pain after playing.

Good luck Also, is your throne adequate? Maybe you should look into getting one with a backrest?

User Info Menu

I would say time for a new throne and time to re-evaluate how your sitting and how your drums are positioned

User Info Menu

I used to sit really high up and hated sitting low. I was always hunched over but for some reason it just felt right. Now I set very low, like Dave Grohl low and i'm a lot more comfortable. Great control with the pedals too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I would say time for a new throne and time to re-evaluate how your sitting and how your drums are positioned
    This. The size of the kit is really not much of an issue. The hi-hats, snare and floor Tom can all be set at normal height. The bass kick pedal is always on the floor anyway. The "up" tom can be adjusted....unless the drums you're using lack the adjustment? Is this your Catalina Maple kit reconfigured? If you don't have the adjustability, then that could be an issue.

You need to be able to have your drums placed so that you can sit upright. I had the exact same issues. The best thing I ever did was buy a good ergonomic throne with a backrest. The backrest keeps my lower back in place, which keeps me sitting straight up and not slouching. I then adjust everything to accommodate my position. Just like that, my problem was solved. I can now play a 4hr gig and not have my hips and back hurt at the end of the night.

About your thrown- is the seat wobbly? Is the padding really soft? If so, that can be an issue as well. If the seat doesn't provide stability and support, your muscles will always be tense trying to keep your lower body steady.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Also, 2 hours is a long workout. Could be that. The back issues are what drove Phil Collins to quit for a number of years. You can tell people your drumming is a lot like Phil Collins - painful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Also, 2 hours is a long workout. Could be that. The back issues are what drove Phil Collins to quit for a number of years. You can tell people your drumming is a lot like Phil Collins - painful
    hahaha nice!

User Info Menu

With a high degree of confidence I can say that your pain is not due to the size of kit or drums that you play.