Thread: I wanna talk about firing a band for being later and later to practice!

User Info Menu

Default I wanna talk about firing a band for being later and later to practice!

But I don't know how to go about it without using inappropriate language.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I wanna talk about firing a band for being later and later to practice!

The whole band? A band you play for/with?

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to talk about it without inappropriate language.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I wanna talk about firing a band for being later and later to practice!

It can be done without saying a word. Just stop showing up for practice and find another band to play with.

If the current band you want to fire are friends then it may be best to just ask why everyone shows up late and ask if they are all still interested in playing together and find out if they are all committed to the band or just like hanging out.

Be the bigger guy and don't use the language, its only going to heat things up. Best of luck.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Musicians are notorious for being late. You can try to talk it over and improve but I've found, unless there's a band leader to lay down the law, it will continue to get abused.

User Info Menu

I know people that show up late. I just practice on my own for awhile.

User Info Menu

Find another band, it's not going to get better.

User Info Menu

"Guys Im done"

Simple.

User Info Menu

What Rick and Redneck said. straight forward truethfull move on.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Had the same issue not too long ago, Just told them that obviously some of us have important non-band related things to deal with and I will be moving on. Practice was being held in my basement (when everyone showed up) so I had to make plans for each of them to come pick up their equipment. That was about 10 months ago and we just got back together and already have 3 gigs, 1st one next weekend. Ya never know, try to be the bigger man and keep it respectful. I try not to burn any bridges.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I guess you'd call me the leader, well my wife and I. Practice is held at our house and nobody else will do it. I'd love for someone else to step up an be the bad guy for a change. No matter how or what I say that's how I feel. I can see it in their eyes.

But no I was just getting a little moody last night I guess. Seems the more we talk or I talk about buckling down and getting some more material down solid and a second practice day in the week, the later they all get. I want a set list that takes more than one hand to count. And a band that doesn't look at me like I'm speaking Chinese when I bring it up.

Two guitar player, my wife on bass, a keyboard player and a vocalist we just tried out for the first time last Friday. Everything was great last Friday and showed some serious potential but then she turned into a no show this Friday, with no communication at all. And everybody else who used to show up around 6-6:30 has now turned into 8-8:30.

But no I got it in me to end it if and when it comes time. And we had our little pow-wow so we'll just see how that goes. My wife wants to start a whole 'nother side project with new people and I like that idea too. This once a week thing (And getting later and later at that) is getting old.

They are good friends and that's probably part of the problem. But who wants to have a band that you don't consider friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    But I don't know how to go about it without using inappropriate language.
    This was a frustrating thread start with humor intended. The "inappropriate language" comment was for Drum Chat not my band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    That was about 10 months ago and we just got back together and already have 3 gigs, 1st one next weekend. Ya never know, try to be the bigger man and keep it respectful. I try not to burn any bridges.
    An important point. I've burned some bridges in my day. At an older age, I'm making more of an effort to communicate as well as controlling my anger. Usually with diplomacy and an effort to work things out, a resolution or compromise can be made. That said, if it doesn't get better than yes, it's probably time to look for another band.

User Info Menu

I burned a lot of bridges in the past.

The bottom line is that you do what you have to do.

User Info Menu

Geez...Count your lucky you even HAVE practices!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I kept my cool guys...I did, really! We talked and then ended up with a good Friday night jam! I just wish there was more Fridays in a week.

User Info Menu

I think the first thing you need to do is see who is really committed to the band and go from there letting everyone know that showing up late is not acceptable anymore if they want to continue jamming.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Frankly, I would consider 15-30 minutes as "late." At 2 hours, I would go with "rude," and in my opinion, friends don't do that to friends without a call to explain being late.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I think the first thing you need to do is see who is really committed to the band and go from there letting everyone know that showing up late is not acceptable anymore if they want to continue jamming.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Frankly, I would consider 15-30 minutes as "late." At 2 hours, I would go with "rude," and in my opinion, friends don't do that to friends without a call to explain being late.
    You both are right and changes will be made or changes will be made.

My wife on her bass, our good creative keyboard player buddy just 2 blocks away jammed tonight to the Ipod through the PA and had a blast!

The guitar players are the ones on thin ice with us. We'll see what tomorrow night brings.

User Info Menu

Too bad your not 2hrs farther north. My band needs a new bass player and we could use a keyboard player. I'd even split drums with you and play guitar half the time!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Too bad your not 2hrs farther north. My band needs a new bass player and we could use a keyboard player. I'd even split drums with you and play guitar half the time!
    2 hours north just seems so cld to me at the moment but sure sounds like fun!

User Info Menu

LOL. My singer has not shown up for practice....and we practice at HIS HOUSE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    LOL Change his door locks and fire him!

User Info Menu

You've had all the right advice. It's not just about being late although that is important. It's just as much, or more, about being disrespectful to those you (they) are keeping waiting. Just let them know you also have other things you could be doing, rather than waiting for them, and that if they are late again they will be replaced. I have employees and once and a while I will have one that thinks being late is no problem. I very matter-of-factly let them know it won't be tolerated and give them a specific preview of upcoming events if they continue to be late.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Hah! Might not have been funny for you at the time, but that gave me a right ol' belly laugh. So Spinal Tap.

There's a mate of mine who in the past used to work at an inner Sydney rehearsal studio, now long gone. He'll tell you, the bassist or another muso from one of the Guns 'N Roses Show bands here (I think originally they were The Cult Show, then became Guns 'N Roses, or the other way around, something like that) used to ring and ask...."uh...how do I get to the studio from....?" with clockwork regularity....because he'd be late and lost every week. Stu could almost look at his watch and know when the phone call would come through to the desk.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Hah! Might not have been funny for you at the time, but that gave me a right ol' belly laugh. So Spinal Tap.

There's a mate of mine who in the past used to work at an inner Sydney rehearsal studio, now long gone. He'll tell you, the bassist or another muso from one of the Guns 'N Roses Show bands here (I think originally they were The Cult Show, then became Guns 'N Roses, or the other way around, something like that) used to ring and ask...."uh...how do I get to the studio from....?" with clockwork regularity....because he'd be late and lost every week. Stu could almost look at his watch and know when the phone call would come through to the desk.
    Funny, no, but not a big problem either. I like to jam with the guitar player so it was fine. We just jammed a while and then bailed.