Thread: vintage slingerland advice

User Info Menu

Default vintage slingerland advice

i have a vintage slingerland band snare that i use as a tom. it still has the same heads on it that i came with and i was thinking about replacing them. my problem is that the tension rods tighten both heads at the same time the bottom head claws are threaded. i thought about replacing the lugs and claws and tension rods but its more than id like to spend. any advice on heads i should put on it would be appreciated. as in thickness or type

User Info Menu

Default Re: vintage slingerland advice

What you have is called a single tension drum. I suggest keep it as is. What are the dimensions?

all the best...

User Info Menu

its 12x10.

its just like this one but with different claws

User Info Menu

I have a real Premier 13" power tom that I would gladly trade for your drum, solving your problem and possibly rescuing a vintage drum in the process.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I agree. I would leave the vintage drum alone and keep it all original (heads and all). You can probably buy a used orphan tom off EBay or from a used music store for the same price or less than it would cost to make the changes you describe.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I can't answer your question, but that's a cool drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    i can't answer your question, but that's a cool drum.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewizardlucidity View Post
    its 12x10.

its just like this one but with different claws

That looks like a Slingerland, mid-late 50's, early 60's?, Legion Heir Parade Drum. (the reference pic of that drum is in amazing condition!) Shells, mahogany or lacquer are molded 3ply veneers w/solid maple inside reinforcing hoops. When looking it up, I couldn't find one offered in a 12x10" size. Did see a 15x12",15x10",14x10" and a 13x9" Junior model.
    Nice drum! What's wrong with the existing heads?
    If you must make a tom out of it, a Remo coated Emperor on top and a coated Remo Ambassador or Diplomat reso/bottom probably would be fine. I would save the hardware to convert back to a snare when wanted. A very nice drum as is though.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-11-2015 at 08:51 PM.