Thread: Mapex VX assistance please.

User Info Menu

Default Mapex VX assistance please.

Hey Guys, this is my first post so be gentle..!!

I recently picked up these 'bad boys' for £300 ($360). A 5 piece Mapex VX with all original hardware, cases and with Paiste PST3 cymbal pack. It's in great condition but after a long time away from drumming I could do with some advice please. Is this a VX as the badge signifies just a 'V'..?
    Also at the moment it looks like stock Mapex batter and reso's so would you say G2's for the batter plus any advice for the reso's? I read reviews that the shells are pretty good for an intermediate kit...what say you?
    Thanks in advance of any help.

Sorry, here is a link to some more detail..
    http://s46.photobucket.com/user/DHB3858/library/Mapex
    Last edited by Carter; 01-03-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: omission

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex VX assistance please.

Welcome to DC. Can't really answer without more detail. There is a VX line. Comes in a number of configurations. All levels of Mapex are good drums at a fair price.

User Info Menu

I like evans ec2s myself. I still have the stock reso heads on my saturn. Not sure about the V vs VX. Probably just upgraded a few things for the V series.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

The VX was the next iteration of Mapex's bottom line of kits which started out as Venus then became the V Series. There was one lower in the pecking order but cannot remember its name now. I had the V Series and it was a great kit for the money and served me well for many years including gigging. The only difference between the V and the VX is that the latter came with ISO mounts on the rack toms.

As far as head choice goes, I used Evans mostly. Typically coated G2 over clear G1's but latterly moved to the EC2s on the reso's. I'd often use Aquarian Studio Rings on the toms too depending on the head choice, the room, applications, etc. Mapex kicks are known for their full, punchy tone and I accentuated this by putting on an EMAD on the kick with an EQ3 on the reso. The snare is the weak link in the V/VX line but I used to use a HD Dry over Hazy 300.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    There was one lower in the pecking order but cannot remember its name now.
    Was that the "Q" series?
    - Zack

User Info Menu

My first kit was the q series. Yeah, they all basswood. They were ok. I've played on an old Venus kit. It was pretty good for an entry level kit.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I have a Mapex Horizon birch kit. I have EC2's and am currently running a stock reso as well like PirateMonkey. I have the Evans Emad heads on my kick and it sounds great. I'm using a stock reso on my snare with an Evans Genaria batter.

I play a lot of blues and gospel, and these heads fit my style pretty darn well, I believe.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

A resounding thanks to all my responders, I hugely appreciate all your advice and experience. Im already looking at Emads and G2's for starters.

I am sure my tom holder is the ISO type refered to by BFD but does anyone know what the shells are constructed of on my V series please? It looks like there is a darker ply in there too.

I found this on wiki.....'As of January 2010, the Q and QR series are no longer made, having been replaced by the new Voyager series, while Horizon series has replaced the VX series (VXB for Britain). These entry-level, yet highly regarded kits have improved their lugs, mounts, badges and bass drum claws. The Horizon HZ kit offers a newly mixed birch/basswood drum shell. A newly available Mapex cymbal pack is optional with any of these kits'

No mention of shell composition though.

Cheers guys
    Last edited by Carter; 01-04-2017 at 03:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Was that the "Q" series?
    Could be, yes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    I am sure my tom holder is the ISO type refered to by BFD but does anyone know what the shells are constructed of on my V series please? It looks like there is a darker ply in there too.

I found this on wiki.....'As of January 2010, the Q and QR series are no longer made, having been replaced by the new Voyager series, while Horizon series has replaced the VX series (VXB for Britain). These entry-level, yet highly regarded kits have improved their lugs, mounts, badges and bass drum claws. The Horizon HZ kit offers a newly mixed birch/basswood drum shell. A newly available Mapex cymbal pack is optional with any of these kits'

No mention of shell composition though.

Cheers guys
    I'm pretty certain the VX, like the V series, was 100% basswood. The ISO tom mounts on the VX look like this:

Whereas the V series looked like this with no isolation from the shell i.e. the mount is attached directly to the drum shell:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    I'm pretty certain the VX, like the V series, was 100% basswood. The ISO tom mounts on the VX look like this:

Whereas the V series looked like this with no isolation from the shell i.e. the mount is attached directly to the drum shell:

Yep, the VX & V are basswood.
    I've got a VXB and the B signified that there's Birch in there too. It also has the ISO mounts. It's a great sounding kit tbh.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    Yep, the VX & V are basswood.
    I've got a VXB and the B signified that there's Birch in there too. It also has the ISO mounts. It's a great sounding kit tbh.
    Yep, I was pretty happy with my V Series sound. Good heads and tuned well, most drums shape up fine so long as the hardware is up to scratch to hold said heads and tuning.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your support.

So I confirm (thanks to BFD) that I have ISO mounts so if all the V and VX were 100% basswood and the VXB had mixed birch how would one determine a VX from a VXB? Is it badged as VXB? My point being could this be the darker ply I can see at the cross sectional edge? Not that it's a major issue but it's nice to know exactly what my shells are made of.

Thanks again for all your assistance and I hope, over time, to be a useful contributor to this great forum.