Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Slingerland Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slingerland Drums Discussion

Just saw this posted on Craigslist by me. Not looking to buy it, but it sure is purdy.

**** Vintage Slingerland Drum Set **** 70's Marine White Pearl Vintage Slingerland Drum Set in GREAT CONDITION! All original except for two holes that are filled where a ride can go. 1,200 or best offer.

Bass Drum: 14X22
    Floor Tom: 16X16
    Tom Tom: 9X13

Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

She sure is Purdy if I say so myself. Tell me how much do they want for this kit? I ain't looking for anything just curious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    She sure is Purdy if I say so myself. Tell me how much do they want for this kit? I ain't looking for anything just curious.
    Says 1200 OBO in the ad. Don't know why, but I thought it was 350.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Just got this puppy for 60 bucks. Needs a little love, but it is in good condition. Just a few parts (the knob on the snare throw adjuster) and the butt-plate is a ludwig, but it works so I am fine with that.

The most important part is that it sounds great!

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous finish! And a great deal on a quality drum. Nice score, m8!

Strider

User Info Menu

Noiseinmotion, good looking kit but no snare? I'd guess more like $500.

User Info Menu

That's a nice drum!!! You did great.

User Info Menu

Nice lookin drum! Could that possibly be a marching drum by Slingerland, and if so what era? Is that a cross beneath the internal strainer knob? Lovely finish, enjoy!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Nice lookin drum! Could that possibly be a marching drum by Slingerland, and if so what era? Is that a cross beneath the internal strainer knob? Lovely finish, enjoy!
    Going by the badge, it is a 70's era drum. It is a marching snare, though not as deep as some of them. The cross you see is actually the drum key holder with a key in it.

User Info Menu

Is there a serial number on the badge?

User Info Menu

I've always loved Slingerland kits. Kits with virgin basses were very rare at the time. As for the story of my virgin bass Slingerland kit, I remember seeing one in the front window of a local shop called "DRUMS" around 1975 or 1976. The Shop must have custom ordered it at the time. It was in the Blakhrome finish and it was my dream kit, but I couldn't afford it at that time.

In 1992, about a year after my motorcycle accident I was in another Pittsburgh drumshop, ironically called Drumworld. DRUMS had gone out of business in the 1980s. Drumworld had this set for sale with a COB Gretsch snare and crappy hardware for $275.

I bought it and took it home. When I looked at it closer, it had a chrome "DRUMS" sticker inside the bass drum. It had to be the kit I lusted after 16 years earlier.

The kit had some marks and wear on it when I bought it and I probably did at least 300 gigs with it myself in the 1990s and into the early 2000s. Last year I added the matching 18" floor tom and this year I added the matching Buddy Rich model snare.

Slingerland badges were never in series. When they completed a drum they would reach into a bucket and pull badges at random. The "new" floor tom and snare are within the number range of the rest of the kit. Pretty cool.

Does anyone else have some cool stories about kits they lusted after and later bought?

I later picked up a "Buddy Rich" model snare drum in the same finish.

And a quick snap of me behind them taken a few months after my first stroke when I was learning to play again.

And...

weirdly enough I ended up sumbling onto another blackrome 3-ply 1970's Slingerland kit with a virgin bass. This one has a 24" bass instead of a 22".

(This pic was taken when I bought them, I have cleaned them up some since this photo was taken.
    Last edited by drummer5359; 07-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

While I'm on the Slingerland thread I thought that I'd post a pic of my other Slingerland kit just for the heck of it...

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

In case you are interested, there is a spray paint co. that makes spray paint for plastic. You could make them shine like new.

It's a project, all the lugs and hardware has to come off. You spray it and clearcoat it, and they will look like new.

I don't remember the name of the paint, but a good hardware store would know.

Just a thought.

User Info Menu

Beautiful blue sparkle kit Mike. Looks as fresh as the day they were made! I'm a slingerland fan who didn't realize it till many years down the road, looks like you're loving these as much as I would playing them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The Set-O-Matic tom holder is on my Ludwigs. For the people who watch my videos, I'm surprised that in 2 years on You Tube, not once has anybody noticed it.

User Info Menu

I love the Slingerland kits, too bad they are not sought like some of the other vintage drums. I own a Vintage Slingerland steel snare ' Festival' and I realy like the sound of it. Slingerland had to make identifying the years by taking a badge out of a mixed bucket which makes it virtually hard to tell what year the drums where realy made. Shame on you Slingerland.

User Info Menu

This is not a good fit for me (newbie), but there is this near me:

20" x 16" kick (with some spur damage)
    12" x 8" T
    16" x 16" FT
    (no snare, sadly)

How old would this configuration be?
    - poodlesdrum
    Could someone get this George Orwell fellow on the phone, please...!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesdrum View Post
    This is not a good fit for me (newbie), but there is this near me:

20" x 16" kick (with some spur damage)
    12" x 8" T
    16" x 16" FT
    (no snare, sadly)

How old would this configuration be?
    Timeless...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

drummer5359,
    I have a snare just like yours, black wrap, right? and I think it was the same model favored by N.Peart for a long time. I had to replace the 40 yr. old throw, added a 20 wire snare-not great but good to go!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Here is my dream set, making Buddy Proud

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/atta...3&d=1290797141

Yes I own this kit, 85% bought new at the Niles plant in 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland View Post

You own that? you sir, are a very lucky man. That is a fantastic kit
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I know, funny story, when I was 19, my dad said he would buy me a set for my B day since we lived 8 blocks from the Sling plant, we drove there one day and I picked out the kit, I added the concert toms, 20" floor tom and one bass over the years, so now I have 2 24" bass...concert toms 10/12 (13 not shown in pic) top toms 12/13/14/15 floor toms 16/18/20 my only problem is I cant figure out a way to set them up to play them all. I'm being serious, I tried every way I could, I need 4 foot arms

User Info Menu

I know, funny story, when I was 19, my dad said he would buy me a set for my B day since we lived 8 blocks from the Sling plant, we drove there one day and I picked out the kit, I added the concert toms, 20" floor tom and one bass over the years, so now I have 2 24" bass...concert toms 10/12 (13 not shown in pic) top toms 12/13/14/15 floor toms 16/18/20 my only problem is I cant figure out a way to set them up to play them all. I'm being serious, I tried every way I could, I need 4 foot arms
    WHOOAA!!! That pic link should have a warning---"Stunning Elegance Ahead! Have Defibulator Nearby!"

Has nothing to do with being the same finish as my 1965's (harumph!), a little brother to yours altho' a double bass kit also. Mine have the rail console tom mounts that made for some interesting tom angles until I found a stand with a top in the slot shape for that style of mount on the sides of the toms.

Not exactly RIMS but I have my snare and 2 13's in a triangle shape, almost touching each other. Toms move in much closer, little reaching involved, the toms are almost flat for controllable rebound and my ride comes in low over the right kick. Pic's in a post above.

Not to knock the vintage accurate look but maybe something similar would give you a more compact set-up rather than using the bass-fixed tom mounts.

Wonderful, beautiful kit, man. The sound must be awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Strider
    Last edited by Strider; 08-02-2011 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

THE HOLY GRAIL!! Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing that set with us.

User Info Menu

THE HOLY GRAIL!! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing that set with us.