Thread: Vic Firth Headphones

User Info Menu

Default Vic Firth Headphones

I want to get 2 pairs for my son and I. We play along to music together and we each present problems for the other player when trying to hear the music, and ourselves, to keep in time while wearing our Radio Shack headphones. When we use our Heros ear plugs in addition to the phones, the high fidelity kind, it's better but of course muted. Unfortunately, so is the music coming through the headphones. My question is, with the Vic Firth phones, is the music being piped in muted along with the outside sound as well? Or does the music come in at normal volume, and the other ambient sounds are muted down like it's supposed to be? Thanks. If this has, and I'm sure it has, been covered before, I apologize.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vic Firth Headphones

The music volume is normal depending on the volume of the music player.

User Info Menu

Being an owner of those Vic Firth Isolated head phone and my answer is (taken from your own question):

The music come in at normal volume, and the other ambient sounds are muted down like it's supposed to be
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

i have the VF headphone and are of good quality. But... they are like any earmuff type for hearing protection, as in not effective as earplugs. things like turning your head will break the "seal".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    The music volume is normal depending on the volume of the music player.
    Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    Being an owner of those Vic Firth Isolated head phone and my answer is (taken from your own question):

The music come in at normal volume, and the other ambient sounds are muted down like it's supposed to be
    Quote Originally Posted by james05 View Post
    i have the VF headphone and are of good quality. But... they are like any earmuff type for hearing protection, as in not effective as earplugs. things like turning your head will break the "seal".
    Thanks for the reply's everyone. Come to DC for all the answers to your questions.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 10-26-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Well, what i use is a normal pair of noise cancelling headphones

And i wear my earphones normally and i just put them over them... It works for me and those cost me like 5 bucks
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I owned Vic Firths for about a year. I hate them with a passion. They are very uncomfortable for me. I ended up buying direct sound ex-29s. They are way more comfortable and I highly recommend them over Vic Firth's.

User Info Menu

I've owned a pair of Vic Firth headphones for about five months, and I have nothing negative to say about them. They play the music at a normal volume while cancelling out the outside noise. I also plug my metronome in them to hear the click. They're great for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    I owned Vic Firths for about a year. I hate them with a passion. They are very uncomfortable for me. I ended up buying direct sound ex-29s. They are way more comfortable and I highly recommend them over Vic Firth's.
    I agree! They're evil if you wear glasses, and if one of the wires gets broken, you can't open the headphones up to fix it. They're fairly heavy, and fairly flimsy. Pretty uncomfortable if you wear them for over an hour at a time (which I frequently did, due to practicing about 4 hours a day).

I'd go with EX-29's as well, or Sennheiser HD280 Pros. The Sennheisers have a 32dB attenuation, compared the 29dB offered by the EX-29's. The VF's cut out 24B of outside noise. Because the Sennheisers and EX-29's isolate more, you don't have to have your music up as loud, so you're at less risk of developing noise-induced hearing loss. And if you're a heavy hitter like I am, you'll want that extra protection.
    Last edited by xweasel; 10-27-2010 at 03:32 AM.
    - Zack