Thread: New Drummers and Cymbals: My Advice

User Info Menu

Cool New Drummers and Cymbals: My Advice

There are many posts on this forum by new drummers about which cymbals to get. I have played drums for over fifty years and have played cymbals by Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste, Meinl, and others that I do not remember. First, a few or a couple of good cymbals are better than many bad ones. The good thing about cymbals is that you can buy them one at a time. That is what you should do rather than buying a pack that you may want to replace in a year. Use and trust your ears, and if you are so inclined, pray about it.

1. Go to a store, even if you have to travel a while to get there.
    2. If possible, take an experienced drummer with you. If that is not possible, take an experienced musician of some other type.
    3. Start with hi-hat cymbals. Some inexpensive hats sound OK, such as Paiste Alphas, Sabian XSR's and B8 Pros. Buying used cymbals will almost always allow you to get a much better cymbal. Pro quality hats include the following: Sabian AA, AAX, HH, HHX, and Paragon; Zildjian A, A Custom, and K; and Paiste 2002, Signature, and 602.
    4. Second, buy a good crash cymbal. Some will disagree with this and say to get a ride cymbal. Most inexpensive crashes sound bad. I suggest getting an 18 inch medium-thin or medium crash from the list of pro cymbals above. Used is good here too.
    5. After these two, buy a ride, and another (different-sized) crash. Follow the advice above. Hats, two crashes, and a ride will be enough for most songs.

I have bought many used cymbals and have never had a problem with them. There are also great deals out there. Some Sabian SR2 cymbals are a great value. I bought one few years ago that is an 18 inch Thin that is a great crash and a decent ride. It was $100. Last year I bought two AAX Concept Crashes. The 16 inch was $100, and the 17 inch was $110, which is about half what they typically go for. Some drummers really like Paiste Alphas and Sabian XSR cymbals.

I hope this helps some of you, and I hope some others share their experiences. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drummers and Cymbals: My Advice

I agree with this

User Info Menu

Always look for used. I have never paid more than $130 for any cymbal used (and that was a set of hats) and have all pro level cymbals. There are so many AA and A's on the used market it is insane.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I agree with all the above. Buying a used cymbal is like buying a used car. The only thing you lose by not buying new is the depreciation. I could never have the collection of great cymbals I have if I didn't buy used.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I agree with all the above. Buying a used cymbal is like buying a used car. The only thing you lose by not buying new is the depreciation. I could never have the collection of great cymbals I have if I didn't buy used.
    Absolutely! There's no need to buy a new cymbal with all the used cymbals on the market. Definitely play it first before purchasing. Take your other crashes with you to see how it contrasts.

User Info Menu

Good advice. there's 3 things that are a little more important than other things on my set.. a good bass drum, snare and cymbals. A decent sounding drum set with bad cymbals is like ribs with no bbq sauce ..
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN