Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I see why alot of you don't care for drum racks!

User Info Menu

Default I see why alot of you don't care for drum racks!

I thought I would finally put up part of mine. I had to walk away for a bit.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I see why alot of you don't care for drum racks!

I actually loved mine for simplicity...once you finally get it dialed in. I sold mine, though, because I wasn't crazy with how it looked.

Tex

User Info Menu

I like racks.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i love my rack
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I actually loved mine for simplicity...once you finally get it dialed in.
    ^this^

I like them enough to own 2.

User Info Menu

Don't have one and was debating on getting one. There are pros and cons on racks and always thought they were made for big kits. They seem to take a lot of room of which I don't really have in my studio.

User Info Menu

I got it half way together. If I only had 6 hands I'd probably have it done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Don't have one and was debating on getting one. There are pros and cons on racks and always thought they were made for big kits. They seem to take a lot of room of which I don't really have in my studio.
    They do and I don't either.

User Info Menu

When you get it assembled - disassemble it and put matching numbers/letters with a permanent marker on all the places it connects together (on the non showbiz side), that should speed things up when you next put it together. Also - take a photo of the assembled rack minus toms/cymbals etc and keep it in the case you store it in.

User Info Menu

I know what you're talking about Ray. Most drummers like the look of a conventional kit on stands. I like my rack. My kit at the practice studio is crammed into a tight space so setting up the rack keeps the footprint small and there's no tripods legs to act as a trip hazard.

The only path to get to the back of my kit at practice is this narrow area (circled) behind the last leg of the rack. The left side of my kit next to the hihat stand is completely blocked off. Regular cymbal stands would make it difficult to manuver in and around the kit.

If I'm gigging, I'll use stands and off set the toms or just use the kit with a tom mount in the bass drum.

User Info Menu

I have two racks. I use my Pearl Icon rack inside for one my teaching kits - and the Gibralter rack is in my garage stored away/folded up.

I like the look and ease of a rack. It does make setting up a little easier.....a little - although I only use 4 or 5 cymbal stands and I don't really save any time using the rack to make it worth while.

My bigger issue is traveling with it. It doesn't stow away easily - and any time saved using it is lost two or three fold packing it away carefully for transport.

Yes ...you can simply fold it up - but if you gig a lot - it's going to get beat up unless you take the time to carefully protect it.

It just easier for me to put my 5 cymbal stands in a gear case and put it in the trailer.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

How we survived all those years without racks is beyond me.

Build it, convince them they need it, and they will buy it.

User Info Menu

I prefer the look of conventional heavy duty stands............and that is what I use now, even though there are (arguably) too many.
    I require a riser of at least 8 X 8............and 9 feet wide or more is preferred.

When I was gigging much more (during the 80s & 90s), I used a Gibralter rack system e-kit hybrid set-up because it was just faster and easier.............we had a large gig-equipment trailer and on one side wall we had hangers (similar to bicycle hooks) where we would just bring the rack pieces in and hang them up..............on the opposing trailer wall, we hung the stage-lighting trusses.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I haven't owned a rack but i would love one if i have the extra money .
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

If you have at least 3 rack toms, they can be an awesome time saver. When I was using one I kept it intact with tom arms and cymbal booms in place. Set up was a breeze.

Guess I was a fool for falling for their crafty marketing ploy though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    If you have at least 3 rack toms, they can be an awesome time saver. When I was using one I kept it intact with tom arms and cymbal booms in place. Set up was a breeze.

Guess I was a fool for falling for their crafty marketing ploy though.

When I was playing gigs, once my drums were on stage, I could set them up in 10-15 minutes. That was a 1 up, 2 down configuration with a ride and 2 crashes.

When this conversation came up before, I took my set down, BD, 2 up toms, 2 floor toms, 2 toms over my floor toms, 7 cymbals (they were taken off the stands and the stands folded up as if I were playing a new gig) and the hats.

Setting them up took me 25 minutes for the whole works. When you have done it thousands of times, it becomes automatic.

I wouldn't call you a fool for having them. I guess just being old school, I just don't see the necessity of having them.

User Info Menu

I had one and hated it. It ended up being more hardware than I started with, and super bulky.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I like both racks and stands. I use the rack with my Cataline 6 piece, because early on (yes, I was a newbie drummer), I just couldn't seem to get everything exactly where I wanted it to be (that included the cymbals). As soon as I got the rack, I could adjust everything exactly the way I wanted it, and suddenly everything was perfect.

With my 4 piece Catalina Elite Jazz kit, I use fewer cymbals and go with stands. I use 3 stands, and getting them positioned perfectly is a breeze.

If I was having to get on and off a stage quickly to allow for other acts, then having a rack that could be setup off stage to be moved as a single unit would be an advantage. For me, it's all about positioning, and being comfortable. Hey, I'm having a birthday today, and getting older (not old, just older ), so in my older age, I'm all about comfort!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If I gigged all of the time and had more than 2 toms, I'd consider the gibraltar stealth rack.

As far as the traditional rack, I've never used one and have no desire.

If I was going to spend a lot of money, I'd look to get one of those drum frames. They look super comfortable.
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 04-28-2014 at 04:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    When I was playing gigs, once my drums were on stage, I could set them up in 10-15 minutes. That was a 1 up, 2 down configuration with a ride and 2 crashes.

When this conversation came up before, I took my set down, BD, 2 up toms, 2 floor toms, 2 toms over my floor toms, 7 cymbals (they were taken off the stands and the stands folded up as if I were playing a new gig) and the hats.

Setting them up took me 25 minutes for the whole works. When you have done it thousands of times, it becomes automatic.

I wouldn't call you a fool for having them. I guess just being old school, I just don't see the necessity of having them.
    Rick, things have changed since you last had a band. The hot night clubs in my town which cater to national touring acts have at least two or three local bands to warm up the crowd and if you include the touring bands, there might be at least six bands on the bill. The 25 minutes it took you to set up your kit is the entire time a band is given to play on stage at clubs in my town. Here's an example of a call sheet at a very popular local nighclub. Five bands on the bill including the headliner. My job as the drum tech was to help DOT with their gear, mainly the drum kit.

After the locals are done with a short 25-30 min set, the bands that are touring with the headliner will usually take the stage with a longer set and finally, the headliner will close the night. For most clubs here, the warm up bands have 10 minutes to set up and 10 minutes tear down. If your band isn't off on and off within the alotted time, the next band gets shorted (and pissed). I can drag this kit out on stage and have it set up within 10 minutes:

The amps are usually on the backline but drum kits are not. I found that a kit on stands was the fastest to set up. A rack usually takes two people to move on stage if the toms and cymbals are already mounted on it but storing a fully loaded rack can sometimes be a hassle if there isn't any room backstage but it may save time if the rack can be managed by one person. Here's a pic of the backstage area for one of the hot clubs in town. DD's kit is the one with the Aquarian SKII on the bass drum. A rack would of been a bit of a hassle to store backstage at this venue.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE]I prefer the look of conventional heavy duty stands.........[/QUOTE

I prefer the look of conventional light duty stands.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I like them both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I like racks.
    Me too. The bigger, the better.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Me too. The bigger, the better.
    A small Bass makes your rack look bigger
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I like both and own stands and rack but to be honest love my rack so easy