Thread: Paiste PST7 vs PST8 or other?

User Info Menu

Default Paiste PST7 vs PST8 or other?

Hi folks!
    I am planning to buy a acoustic set for smaller rock gigs (been playing digital TD-30 last couple years) and was wondering about cymbals.
    I need a whole set of cymbals (Hi-hat, ride, crash) and at an intermediate level.
    Nothing too expensive since I donīt make money on my drumming.
    At first I was looking at the Sabian XS20 series (Doesnt have a musicstore near so I can test them out) and from what Iīve read they seem pretty good for the price.
    Then there is the Paiste PST8 series that seemed to be in the same pricerange.
    And from what i understand paiste released the Pst7 series.
    But what is the difference between PST7 and PST8?

And from these 3 wich one would you choose?
    Or is there some similar ive totally missed here?
    My son have the Meinl MCS wich I donīt really like.

Thanks for advice

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paiste PST7 vs PST8 or other?

In that price range you are looking at either Paiste PST7, Meinl Classics or Sabian B8 Pro. If you are in the US maybe you should also consider Dream, Saluda, Stagg DH/Myra or Kazca? (not sure how to spell that one). I have bought several Stagg and think they are good for the price - but don't buy any Stagg cymbal without hearing it first or you will probably regret it.

Also consider buying used Pro level cymbals - there are lots available and its a buyers market at the moment.

User Info Menu

Im in Sweden
    I think I down to PST7-8 or XS20
    Or if i found some used nice cymbals

User Info Menu

PST7 for me, but; the PST8's are very nice too. That B8 Brilliant finish does add another dimension to the range.

Some of Ewan John's (Cunningham) covers on YT are PST8's and they aren't bad by any means.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ewanjohncovers/videos
    Last edited by EyePea; 10-29-2020 at 03:38 AM.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

the 7's come in three different weights so that's a nice touch. Like most company's they have them in packs. A cymbal company should offer a mix and match pack where the buyer could pick what he/she wants in the pack. i.e. heavy ride, light crash etc
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    the 7's come in three different weights so that's a nice touch. Like most company's they have them in packs. A cymbal company should offer a mix and match pack where the buyer could pick what he/she wants in the pack. i.e. heavy ride, light crash etc
    +1. Looking at the PST range on sale in the UK, the PST8 all seem to be rock variants - the PST7 range is available in thin, medium and rock - I would definitely choose PST7 rather than PST8.

If you get the opportunity try to test the PST and XS20 to see which you prefer the sound of.

User Info Menu

I like the sound from the PST7 medium on their site, but wondering if that will function when playing like ac-dc type of rock, or do the PST7 rock suite that better? (would really like to have a great allround setup).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matfarsan View Post
    I like the sound from the PST7 medium on their site, but wondering if that will function when playing like ac-dc type of rock, or do the PST7 rock suite that better? (would really like to have a great allround setup).
    I would go with your first instinct. If the mediums sound better to you go for medium. They will work just as well as the heavier crashes and hats and will be better for all-round use IMO. With the exception of the ride cymbal I would only consider a heavier versions than medium if max volume rock music was the only thing I would ever play.

Mediums should be good for a range of music but to me the heavier rock cymbals are too single purpose, the heavier weight of the cymbals doesn't seem to make them any stronger as increased thickness can make them stiffer and you have to hit them fairly hard to make them open up and IMO they are not as good for low to medium volume stuff.

User Info Menu

hey crispy, I think you're right about that. I also think a lighter weight cymbal will sound better in the recording studio. I love what I got out of my kit and cymbals for our new disc (coming soon) but the only thing I may have wanted to do the a/b test with is the heavy weight 20" crash I used. Like you said it doesn't open up real well but it will blend in fine once we start mixing things.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I gave a listen to the PST5 cymbals, and if you ask me they all sound awesome. It seems like medium weight cymbals are just great all-around weight cymbals. I don't think you could go wrong with those!

User Info Menu

Its all subjective, but I was in a similar situation (my cymbals were stolen and I needed a full set PRONTO) and, to my own surprise, went for the pst 8's. Don't overlook them!

I love that paiste shimmer, so the sabians were never really in the running but I always thought I'd got for alpha's with their semi-pro reputation.

Having listened to the sabians, pst 7, pst 8 and alphas I found I preferred the pst 8's overall. Hats were clean and crisp (more so than the 7's and alpha's to my ear) and the ride had a similar sparkle that the others just didnt.

I must admit I just about preferred the alpha crashes to the 8's but since you hit hats and rides FAR more than crashes, I went for the 8's. They are still good cymbals for the money, dont get me wrong, and my goodness they look pretty with that shiny shiny coating.

Just thought I'd share my experience. As ever, beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Others will really dislike my choice, instead insisting that the alphas are better (semi-pro cost, pro sound) or the xs-20's (b20 all the way) or even the pst-7's (tad warmer, choice of weights) but the pst-8's just felt right when I played them and thats what matters, I think.

Picked up a new set of 8's (HH, ride, 16 and 18 crash) for Ģ300. Not bad, I reckon. And yes, used pro is the way to go but I needed a full set RIGHT AWAY and I'm more than happy with these for the price.

End of the day, its your call. Enjoy whatever you go for

User Info Menu

I have compared XS20, SR2 and PST7 and so far as I can tell, Paiste has got it goin on with this line of cymbals! About ready to buy a prepackaged set (rock weight) 14hh, 16cr, 20rde.

For the money, these are great cymbals IMO!
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 11-19-2015 at 08:42 PM.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matfarsan View Post
    Im in Sweden
    I think I down to PST7-8 or XS20
    Or if i found some used nice cymbals
    XS20 is a no brainer.
    The rides are by far much better.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    XS20 is a no brainer.
    The rides are by far much better.
    I guess like drums, cymbals are subjective.
    I found the medium rides in the XS20 range to
    be decent but some of the crashes (to me) had
    A clangy sound and just didn't feel right playing
    them... Like if I smacked one with any authority
    it might shatter. I do like the medium rides and the
    splashes however.

To the thread op:

It's important to note that your experience may differ
    from ours. Play them and make your decision based on
    what tickles your ears.
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 11-20-2015 at 09:33 AM.

User Info Menu

XS high hats vs PST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9XpDS9FZA

XS rides vs Alpha
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHLuw2nyQ4

This guy does a real nice job at comparison.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    XS high hats vs PST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9XpDS9FZA

XS rides vs Alpha
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHLuw2nyQ4

This guy does a real nice job at comparison.
    The hi hat comparison Paiste was the brass PST3! Pity he didn't use the Pst7 or 8, the start of the vid says PST v XS20 etc and he often refers to them as 'the PST's'. I liked the XS20 hats but using a comparably priced Paiste would have been more informative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    The hi hat comparison Paiste was the brass PST3! Pity he didn't use the Pst7 or 8, the start of the vid says PST v XS20 etc and he often refers to them as 'the PST's'. I liked the XS20 hats but using a comparably priced Paiste would have been more informative.
    I have seen this vid. Even the brass Paistes are good for what they are.

I ended up with the PST 7 pack.

User Info Menu

Thank god this thread was brought back after 18 months! I bought pst8's and the only cymbal i still use from that pack is the crash.. i ended up switching to Kasza fusion hats and a rock ride/crash and am much happier. the PST8 is extremely bright and i find them a bit painful..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Thank god this thread was brought back after 18 months! I bought pst8's and the only cymbal i still use from that pack is the crash.. i ended up switching to Kasza fusion hats and a rock ride/crash and am much happier. the PST8 is extremely bright and i find them a bit painful..
    I've seen the Kaszas online. Seems like a Guitar center / Musicians Friend brand?
    Scratch that.. Looks like other dealers are carrying them as well.

Similar to dream and Silken.. Probably made in the Wuhan factory.
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 11-20-2015 at 04:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    Similar to dream and Silken.. Probably made in the Wuhan factory.
    Their quality control is apparently better, though. Each cymbal is tested before it leaves the factory. They are part of Big Bang Distribution, so not a GC brand.
    The hi-hats I had from Kasza were amazing, easily as good as top of the line Zildjian and Sabian stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Their quality control is apparently better, though. Each cymbal is tested before it leaves the factory. They are part of Big Bang Distribution, so not a GC brand.
    The hi-hats I had from Kasza were amazing, easily as good as top of the line Zildjian and Sabian stuff.
    Yep. I did some more research on the brand and found that all out.
    Being hand worked, I would be a tad hesitant to drop any cash before playing them first. I have to look and see if there is a dealer near me. They look great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    Yep. I did some more research on the brand and found that all out.
    Being hand worked, I would be a tad hesitant to drop any cash before playing them first. I have to look and see if there is a dealer near me. They look great!
    Yeah, I'd definitely test them out first. I ordered the 14" Fusion Hi-hats without playing them but they sounded perfect. I also ordered an 8" Rock Splash and it was super heavy and ringy, though for very hard rock or metal it'd probably be alright. Unfortunately very few (if any) stores seem to carry them.

User Info Menu

Depending on the online return policy, I maaay take a chance on an F series splash

User Info Menu

Well I know Guitar Center will let you return it in store (or shipped) so if you have a location close by you won't even have to pay for the return shipping if you don't like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Well I know Guitar Center will let you return it in store (or shipped) so if you have a location close by you won't even have to pay for the return shipping if you don't like it.
    Thanks for the info. Always looking to try out new (to me) stuff.