Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Rack Question

User Info Menu

Default Drum Rack Question

Im looking to get a drum rack for my kit, the specifications are in my signature. Here are a few pictures for reference:

Can anyone suggest a suitable rack? Price isnt a problem this time also!
    Currently: Black Pearl Export Signature 8-Piece
    22" Bass Drum x2
    10" Rack Tom
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    14" Floor Tom
    16" Floor Tom
    13" Sig Snare

Paiste Cymbals
    Alpha 14" Hats
    Alpha 17" Rock Crash
    Alpha 19" Rock Crash
    Alpha 20" Metal Ride
    Alpha 18" China

Zildjian 22" Amir Medium Impulse Ride (1980s)

Cajon
    Meinl Makah Burl

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Drum Rack Question

Have a look around and see what ones you like. I use DW rack ( you can see in my profile pictures) but all top racks are good. Pearl only draw back is you have to use there hardware. DW , PDP< Gilbrater Tama all use same diameter hardware

User Info Menu

Your kit set up is similar to mine. I use the Gibraltar rack ( I have 2X V-Rack and 1X curved rack starter rack kits total of three racks). Sometimes my set up will call for multiple use of all three racks. But sometimes I just use 2 racks made into one.

User Info Menu

I use a Gibraltar rack...haven't had any problems with it and got it used for less than $200, it's a great rack and not as expensive as some other racks.

Love that Pearl reso head, btw.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Have a look around and see what ones you like. I use DW rack ( you can see in my profile pictures) but all top racks are good. Pearl only draw back is you have to use there hardware. DW , PDP< Gilbrater Tama all use same diameter hardware
    Ahh see I wasnt aware of that, at the moment I have the pearl hardware that came with the kit. But I know Gibraltar at least have good rack systems. Thank you thats very useful!
    22" Bass Drum x2
    10" Rack Tom
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    14" Floor Tom
    16" Floor Tom
    13" Sig Snare

Paiste Cymbals
    Alpha 14" Hats
    Alpha 17" Rock Crash
    Alpha 19" Rock Crash
    Alpha 20" Metal Ride
    Alpha 18" China

Cajon
    Meinl Makah Burl

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=late8;348412]Your kit set up is similar to mine. I use the Gibraltar rack ( I have 2X V-Rack and 1X curved rack starter rack kits total of three racks). Sometimes my set up will call for multiple use of all three racks. But sometimes I just use 2 racks made into one.

So far I'm leaning towards gibraltar, most definately. Though It'd mean buying new tom arms for the toms? That im not sure of... I need to know compatibility.

I'll keep researching, thank you late8! Forever jealous of your RUDE Ride!
    22" Bass Drum x2
    10" Rack Tom
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    14" Floor Tom
    16" Floor Tom
    13" Sig Snare

Paiste Cymbals
    Alpha 14" Hats
    Alpha 17" Rock Crash
    Alpha 19" Rock Crash
    Alpha 20" Metal Ride
    Alpha 18" China

Cajon
    Meinl Makah Burl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I use a Gibraltar rack...haven't had any problems with it and got it used for less than $200, it's a great rack and not as expensive as some other racks.

Love that Pearl reso head, btw.
    Ok so now im definitely looking into gibraltar! Plus I've had a rethink on the spending money and being more realistic now, I cant be blowing loads on a rack really, so even better!

Also thank you for the reso head compliment! One of the only reasons I got this kit and not a normal export
    22" Bass Drum x2
    10" Rack Tom
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    14" Floor Tom
    16" Floor Tom
    13" Sig Snare

Paiste Cymbals
    Alpha 14" Hats
    Alpha 17" Rock Crash
    Alpha 19" Rock Crash
    Alpha 20" Metal Ride
    Alpha 18" China

Cajon
    Meinl Makah Burl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Your kit set up is similar to mine. I use the Gibraltar rack ( I have 2X V-Rack and 1X curved rack starter rack kits total of three racks). Sometimes my set up will call for multiple use of all three racks. But sometimes I just use 2 racks made into one.

i love your setup Rich and you know it

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

What would be cheaper buying a Gilbrator for 200-250 and then all new tom arms etc or get the Pearl DR 503 for about 340.00. I would go for the Pearl if you are planning on staying with that brand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ToroZap View Post
    Im looking to get a drum rack for my kit, the specifications are in my signature. Here are a few pictures for reference

Can anyone suggest a suitable rack? Price isnt a problem this time also!

Toro ive got 2 gibralter rack that i kinda customized to suit my needs
    if you get one or two you'll love em

User Info Menu

Pearls drum rack is simpler since it does not use round tubing , so it needs less hard wares to lock the positions & keep it from slipping. The squared rack rails are easier to set up & tear down since some sections are joined w/ folding hinges.

User Info Menu

I think this is the standard double kick Gibraltar rack that's been mentioned. Goes for just about 400 bucks over at GC.

Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

It's lightweight, slip proof, and has clamps that allow all kinds of angles. Also it's easily adjustable and expandable both horizontally and vertically, if you are into drum cages or something crazy. I got mine for around 250 on ebay, full 3 sided with 11 clamps.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The only hardware that is proprietary to a Pearl rack is the rack (pipe) clamps and that's because Pearl's rack is a sqaure tube where DW, PDP, Gibralter, Tama use a round tube. Your current tom and cymbal arms will work on any rack.

Most racks come with 4 tube clamps. Looking at your set up, you could pick up a rack and would only need to buy 3 extra rack clamps and use your current cymbal stand tops and tom arms to get those toms and cymbals on there for an initial beginning. As time goes on and you add cymbals, drums or other knick-knacks, you can add without having to worry about where the legs of stands end up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bubingabill View Post
    Toro ive got 2 gibralter rack that i kinda customized to suit my needs
    if you get one or two you'll love em

This is the slickest, cleanest setup I've seen. Not to mention the drop dead looks of those Tamas!

I remember my thread on racks and remember your pic. If I had a double bass setup, this is the direction I'd have went.

Here's a pic of my PDP rack. Got it discounted at GC for around $200. It was new, just missing the label and little level bubble. You do the same thing with the PDP as the Gibralter rack Possibly? You'd have to get tom holders. There about $25 each. I bought Tama tom holders. They are pretty good.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Thanks Jafo,im really diggin this kit, its dark cherry fade,my toms are still on the bass drum,i have 6 zildjians on the rack,i just got the second bass drum,i was looking for a floor tom and GC had the same kit as mine and same color used for sale 600 or something like that so i had to buy it and add to mine,im still in tweak mode with my set but im just getting comfy with it

User Info Menu

After all that I think I might go for a square tubed Pearl rack, something like this is what I've been configuring in my mind...

Two rounded standard pieces, with a central connector

DR-501C (x2) = ~ £300
    RJ-50 = ~ £30

That'd be the base from which I could put clamps for the cymbals and rack toms on, I want to keep the floor toms on the original legs

OK, so thats a lot for a rack, could anyone tell me is it really worth this considering I can keep all my hardware, with only buying a few extras?
    22" Bass Drum x2
    10" Rack Tom
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    14" Floor Tom
    16" Floor Tom
    13" Sig Snare

Paiste Cymbals
    Alpha 14" Hats
    Alpha 17" Rock Crash
    Alpha 19" Rock Crash
    Alpha 20" Metal Ride
    Alpha 18" China

Cajon
    Meinl Makah Burl

User Info Menu

Mind you your pricing that pearl rack just for the two bars in front, the right side of the kit could still need one possibly. Plus you would need 3 clamps for the rack toms, and possibly mounts as well if you are not going to use the ones already on your set. Out of all the companies, gibraltar makes the best racks for double bass use. Yes you can go the pearl route, but for double bass set-ups gibraltar will be easier and cheaper in the long run.

Side note: Try to buy the rack used. You could easily save 200 dollars or so, and use that money to buy additional clamps and hardware that you may need. I've seen used Icons for 100, so deals are out there if you look around.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Go for the Pearl DR 503C rack like I mentioned in my earlier post 340. The square tube are more sturdier than the rounds and there is no chances of the toms and hardware falling over from hitting like the round tubes. You decide from what you have read and good luck..

User Info Menu

After all that I think I might go for a square tubed Pearl rack, something like this is what I've been configuring in my mind...

DR-501C (x2) = ~ £300
    RJ-50 = ~ £30

That'd be the base from which I could put clamps for the cymbals and rack toms on, I want to keep the floor toms on the original legs

OK, so thats a lot for a rack, could anyone tell me is it really worth this considering I can keep all my hardware, with only buying a few extras?

That's not really all that much for a rack starting out.

You will still need to use some of your cymbal stands on the right side of you kit to get your 2nd crash, ride and china on that side set up where they are now if you plan to go with the two 501's. I don't think the cymbal arms would be long enough to duplicate what you have now with the stands. On 2nd thought, that crash might be ok on the bar over the right bass drum.

I'd suggest go with a DR-503 (Curved or Straight) to start out. You'd get more full length bars to work with as opposed to that tiny RJ-50. Add some PCL-100s on each leg and you'll get lots of options for cymbals.

Good Luck!

Only look at the bottom half of this rack to see an example of how the RJ-50 is not really necessary.

Last edited by Screwy; 01-11-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added image

User Info Menu

I really like the flexibility of the Gibraltar racks. Critics claim slippage issues but if you use the memory locks that come with the Gibraltar rack, slippage is a non-issue.

I've even had a 22" bass drum mounted as a makeshift "gong" drum on the Gibraltar rack with no problems. I used the horizontal bars in a vertical position to secure the bass drum to the rack:

User Info Menu

DR-501C (x2) = ~ £300
    RJ-50 = ~ £30

Nothing wrong with that. Thing is, I got this PDP rack and it included I think it was four extra clamps for accessories, and memory locks for almost all the clamps used. As has been mentioned before, there are some stories of slippage from round tube racks and could see this happening if not used correctly. But I have had this rack for some time now and have had zero slippage of clamps, even ones used without memory locks. I've had quite a bit of wieght on her too. This PDP rack also came with two wings. Nothing wrong with square tube racks, but most I've seen have been more expensive. All depends on what your comfortable with.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I've owned my Gibraltar rack for over 12 years now , and not one single "Slippage" has happened on mine, and yes I use my memory locks.

User Info Menu

I would still go for the Pearl DR 503C if you can afford to. I still would not trust the round tubes. I have experience the difference over the years not on drum racks but on Snowplow, farm implements etc and the square tube are the strongest and best IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I would still go for the Pearl DR 503C if you can afford to. I still would not trust the round tubes. I have experience the difference over the years not on drum racks but on Snowplow, farm implements etc and the square tube are the strongest and best IMO.
    In my opinion, flat surfaces have more area to displace weight than rounded surfaces but I've found the major advantage of rounded rack tubes is the infinite adjustment positions available by utilizing the 360 degree aspect of a circle verses just 4 flat planes of a square.

Example:

Positioning my rack toms was made easier since I had the capability to angle the tom mounts on the horizontal bars at any +/- degree from top dead center to have them positioned the way I wanted them. I couldn't do this with a four sided square rack bar. Note how each tom arms is angled differently to suit my needs.

With a rounded rack tube, I can mount my roto toms on a horizontal bar and rotate the angle of the roto toms for a better ergonomic position.

You can splice two curved sections of round tubing together to create one long section and keep the angle of the curved bar in the right direction.

Last edited by late8; 01-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.