Thread: Memorial Day Weekend

User Info Menu

Default Memorial Day Weekend

Who's doing what?

I'm going to the lake for a bit tomorrow and maybe Sunday too.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Thunderstorms and severe weather predicted for all weekend. Tornadoes, flooding and maybe more softball sized hail! Yah! If I'm lucky, I'll get the lawn mowed sometime, have band practice on Sunday afternoon and spend the rest of the time in the basement working on drum projects.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Thunderstorms and severe weather predicted for all weekend. Tornadoes, flooding and maybe more softball sized hail! Yah! If I'm lucky, I'll get the lawn mowed sometime, have band practice on Sunday afternoon and spend the rest of the time in the basement working on drum projects.
    You could always go out and slug some softballs!

User Info Menu

Gig tomorrow night!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You could always go out and slug some softballs!
    Not me. The only thing more embarrassing than my drumming is my athletic abilities. I can, however, consume refreshing 12Oz beverages with relative efficiency.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Our guitar players daughter graduated College in Texas, then is getting married this weekend. So I have had the last two weekends off from gigging. I turned down a sub-gig Saturday simply because I want the time off.

I've enjoying every minute of it. Even though last week I redid all 20 sun screens on my house. Ugh.....what a pain.

Will spend the next three days hanging around the pool, getting some sun. I do have a graduation party Saturday afternoon that my fam needs to stop by, and then the wifey and I are going to a local brewery to hear a local guitar player/solo act that I do a lot of side-band gigs with is playing.

I'm also re-lining the inside walls if the band trailer with new wood....currents ones are shot!

I may have a few adult beverages too. (possibly)
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Two gigs and one reunion jam with buddies that I haven't played with for 30 years or so ... wish I didn't have to play the gigs ... could sure use the time off ...

User Info Menu

Band has a great private gig Friday night.
    Then a restful three-day weekend.
    Baby back ribs and a nice Zinfandel.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Band practice cancelled tonight.

Tomorrow going to a high school play

Tomorrow night band practice?

Sunday night band practice

Monday season and break in my brand new smoker

User Info Menu

Don't forget that there are Americans buried in a lot of different countries so people can go throw a burger on the grill and have a day off from work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Don't forget that there are Americans buried in a lot of different countries so people can go throw a burger on the grill and have a day off from work.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    YES! there are various local events going on to pay tribute to those who gave all. I would assume it's the same almost everywhere. It would be awesome if more people took part!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Memorial is the important part of the day.

Going to have good family time.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Was supposed to play percussion in acoustic duo format w/ my guitar-picking and singing troubadour friend Frank tonight, in Albany ... but it was cancelled. The bar is literally one block from my house. Haven't learned the details as to why yet. But we'll be back... we do one or 2 gigs there a month.

Monday, I will go back to my former hometown of Castleton NY, where my son still lives with my ex-wife. It's the annual Castleton Memorial Day parade... I will hang out with some former neighbors of mine (and still good friends), and watch my son Ryan (13 years old) play drums in the Maple Hill Middle School marchin' Wildcats. Looking forward to that.

User Info Menu

I'm going to reflect on my late veteran friend for awhile. (He served in at least one of the world wars, I think he served in both.)

All the while, I'm taking care of three abandoned kittens we're currently fostering (guaranteed foster failures! ).

I'm also going to redo the puzzle I'd been working on before the kittens discovered it. (You know you have kittens in the house when you come home to find your puzzle on the floor in a pile of pieces! .)
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Have drums, will travel.

WARNING: Practical joke-playing drummer ahead!

User Info Menu

Well, it's a ways after Memorial Day but here is what I did.

My 17 pc big band plays a USO gig every year at a local race track where they have Memorial Day festivities for all veterns. A Glenn Miller style band, we play a lot of music from the 30's 40's and first half of the 50's and we play in period AAF uniforms and even have girl singers who do Andrews Sisters charts.

Afterward, I paid my respects to my uncle for whom I am named. His name is inscribed on the war memorial in Oklahoma City. He died in the "Battle of the Bulge" and he lies in the military cemetery in Hamm, Luxembourg. I visited his grave once. I wish I had met him and I often wonder what my name would have been if he had survived.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    Well, it's a ways after Memorial Day but here is what I did.

My 17 pc big band plays a USO gig every year at a local race track where they have Memorial Day festivities for all veterns. A Glenn Miller style band, we play a lot of music from the 30's 40's and first half of the 50's and we play in period AAF uniforms and even have girl singers who do Andrews Sisters charts.

Afterward, I paid my respects to my uncle for whom I am named. His name is inscribed on the war memorial in Oklahoma City. He died in the "Battle of the Bulge" and he lies in the military cemetery in Hamm, Luxembourg. I visited his grave once. I wish I had met him and I often wonder what my name would have been if he had survived.

Great story and much respect for doing that.