Thread: 1954 Gretch Chrome over brass Snare

User Info Menu

Default 1954 Gretch Chrome over brass Snare

Hey guys and gals,
    I have a classic 1954 Gretsch Chrome over Brass 8 lug snare drum, I love the sound of the drum, however changing the head is an absolute nightmare. The bearing edge is rolled. When ever I go to change the head (been using Aquarian dbl. thin coated), it requires a screw driver and hammer to pry the head off. Sometimes it even requires that I use a dremel tool to cut the hoop off. Putting the new head on is all but impossible, so I actually have to grind down the hoop of the head. Have any of you had any experience or problems similar to this with a vintage drum?? If so, do you have any suggestions for possible fixes? Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I tried an Aquarian Modern vintage, and it seem to fit a touch better, but not much. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!!
    JC-

User Info Menu

Default Re: 1954 Gretch Chrome over brass Snare

Drum002, just to clarify, did you try the Aquarian "modern vintage" or "american vintage"? It is the American Vintage heads that are made in larger sizes, the modern vintage is the same size as a regular modern head but made out of a synthetic calf hide material to sound like old calf heads. Try the American Vintage if you haven't already, Remo also makes a similar head. If that does not work, you might look into tucking your own calf skins. Another member, Kona, just put some calf hides on his 50s Gretsch kit, and I'm certain that he would be more than willing to help if you have any questions.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. I believe I used the modern vintage. I'll give the American vintage a try. Unfortunately I really like the sound of my double ply texture coated head on that drum. I may give Aquarian a call to see if they can produce some texture coated on an American Vintage hoop.....asking shouldn't hut right??
    JC-

BTW, is this because the older drums tolerances were greater, or were they just made slightly larger?

User Info Menu

Defintely can't hurt to ask, you never know. I've always heard that it was the wraps that caused the newer heads to have a tight fit, but there's no wrap on a metal snare. Odds are there wasn't a huge market for plastic heads in 1954, most likely this snare came with a calf skin head that was probably fitted for this particular drum. You might also check your drum for out of roundness which can cause the head to not seat correctly. Measure from 1 lug directly across and make sure it is the exact same distance between all lugs.

User Info Menu

Another thing you might consider is bees wax. Apply it around the bearing edge and on the outside edge where the hoop comes in contact with the shell. It just might provide enough lubricant that the head well slip on and off the shell without having to be cut off. Also it will never dry so it will last until the next head change. It will not damage the shell or finish in anyway and can easily be removed with a rag.

User Info Menu

Good tip B2D!

User Info Menu

Great ideas! I'll measure the drum, and if it is round, I will try the bees wax tip. Are tbere any fixes foe an out of round drum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum002 View Post
    Great ideas! I'll measure the drum, and if it is round, I will try the bees wax tip. Are tbere any fixes foe an out of round drum?
    Brass is a very soft and plyable metal, it can be carefully bent back to in round if it is indeed out of round. You just have to be very careful with it. You might talk to Leedy2, he hangs out in the Percussion section mostly, and I know that he has done countless restorations on brass shell timbales, I'm sure he has some great tips for working with brass.

User Info Menu

Great, thanks for the tips.
    JC-