Thread: Snare tuning

User Info Menu

Default Snare tuning

Put a new reso head on the snare today. Wanted to go a little thicker far a fatter sound. Got the sound I wanted, put the snares on and now have the worst snare buzz ever. Ive tried everything I can think of to eliminate it and nothing works. Any suggestions ?
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare tuning

Tape the middle strands by themselves wrapping them up and thereby turning them off doing it with one in the middle and one near both ends with masking tape. Leave 4 or 6 on each side. I like 4. Nice fat sound with minimum buzz. Still have active snare action. A lot less snare buzz.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Great tip Wolvie. I think I read on here somewhere that you can also loosen the 4 lugs that surround the snare wires a bit, making them less active. I may have that wrong, but I seem to recall this from a post recently.

User Info Menu

Yeah. I actually said that before as well as some others members did too I think. But that method barely effects the buzz problem. Plus it messes with my snare side tuning. I really hate snare buzz, especially when recording. The tape thing works the best and doesn't eliminate your wires totally. I think the less they sell is 16 strand snare wires. Less wires, less snare buzz, right? = Fat snare sound.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 02-25-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I swapped out my snare strings for nylon straps and that helped some. Now Im getting a (tingy) sound. Thought one of the heads may have been tuned too high but that isn't it. Hmmmmm
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Constant snare buzz or only when a particular Tom is struck?

User Info Menu

Is it a high pitched whine, or is it just a standard buzz?

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    I swapped out my snare strings for nylon straps and that helped some. Now Im getting a (tingy) sound. Thought one of the heads may have been tuned too high but that isn't it. Hmmmmm
    Tighten down the reso head by 1/4 turn to see if that gets rid of the tingy sound. Did you loosen your snare stainer by 1/2 when you swapped out the snare straps to the nylons ones? If not, there might be too much tension on the stainer and not giving the snares enough room to breathe hence the tingy sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    Constant snare buzz or only when a particular Tom is struck?
    It was excess buzz when the snare batter was struck. I think the straps I used put the snare wires in a bind. Basically the the tnsion on the snares were not uniform all the way across. I think I have that taken care of

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    Is it a high pitched whine, or is it just a standard buzz?
    More like a "ting" as if you were hitting a hollow glass.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Tighten down the reso head by 1/4 turn to see if that gets rid of the tingy sound. Did you loosen your snare stainer by 1/2 when you swapped out the snare straps to the nylons ones? If not, there might be too much tension on the stainer and not giving the snares enough room to breathe hence the tingy sound.
    Ya I did loosen them a little. I'll give it a try later and see what happens. I WILL get it right. Even though it's aggravating it's kind of cool to experiment.

Thanks guys.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

What kind of wires are you using?

Thicker heads are more rigid. Thinner snare side heads will conform to the wires a little bit more and can offset problems with wires that are bent or aren't soldered flush. Thicker heads won't conform as much and those stray wires will sit up off the head a bit and buzz like crazy.

The "ting" sounds like a dominant overtone. Change the pitch of the head and it should go away.
    Last edited by MattDrums; 02-28-2013 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Ive tried everything guys. I appreciate the help but I think I may take it by the drum shop and see what they can do. I have tuned and re tuned. Swapped heads and resos. Went to less strands on the wires. Still pretty much the same thing. About ready to give in and use my old 1980s Ludwig metal snare.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

I always use a thin reso. Anything else just doesn't translate the sound correctly, on the reso side. For batter though, i've found you get a lot more tonal freedom to experiment and tailor your sound. Try other batter heads for it if your current setup is boring you to death or in need of a new tone. For me the bottom is absolutely crucial to use a thinner head on, mainly because it's working with a set of wires and the top isn't.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I stuck two strips of paper on the resonant head at the ends of the snares. I got the idea from the Aquarian Hi-Performance resonant head (the one in the pic below). Much tighter sound once I did that.

Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    I stuck two strips of paper on the resonant head at the ends of the snares. I got the idea from the Aquarian Hi-Performance resonant head (the one in the pic below). Much tighter sound once I did that.

That's an interesting concept.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's an interesting concept.
    X2. There some great ideas here I am going to try myself.
    Joe

User Info Menu

Thanks Marko, now I'm considering retackling my snare buzz. Lol. That's yet another option you've brought to our attention.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Im still reading and gonna work on it. Im thinking a different batter may be in my future. Been using a Genera Dry for a few years now. May look into something different. The dry worked great on my metal snare but this is a maple. Can't give up.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post

I have this reso head on 2 of my snares. It is a pretty good snare side head, and I think it did reduce some of the buzz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    Thanks guys. Im still reading and gonna work on it. Im thinking a different batter may be in my future. Been using a Genera Dry for a few years now. May look into something different. The dry worked great on my metal snare but this is a maple. Can't give up.
    Try an Evans Hazy 300.I use that and the Evans HD Dry for batter on a Maple snare and I get no buzz at all. I have found this combination works for several snares as far as sound and snare buzz goes. Every snare I get my hands on I use this combination now. I have tried other heads and I haven't found anything better to use.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Im currently using a Genera Dry batter and an Evans glass 5mil. I went with that because the drum shop I deal with was out of the Hazy 500 (5mil). I may give the Hazy 300 a go. I played some Starclassics at our back up rehearsal spot last week and he was using Remo Amassadors and the snare sounded magnificent.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

the evans resonant glass is a tom reso, is it not?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdrummer View Post
    the evans resonant glass is a tom reso, is it not?
    drum shop said it would work. You may be right though. FWIW our vocalist who is also a drummer tuned that thing up tonight and it sounds great. I think once I reached to point of frustration I was doing more harm than good. All's well that ends well.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

not unlike drumstix method.
    as i always say, stick a standard business card under one side of you snare wire approx. 2 inches from the rim. never fails to give me the sound i like, with no buzz, period.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today