Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evans Black Chrome

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Black Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by tadly View Post
    I'm curious to hear how they sound vs Evans' Onyx heads. I put a set of those on one of my kits (the OCDP) a couple months ago and was surprised at how dead they were vs the EC2s I replaced. I was able to get them to sound good pretty easily, and they can certainly take a beating--they've been some of the most durable heads I've used. I may take the Onyx off and save them for the studio. I think the next heads I try may be the G14--I liked the GPlus when I tried them a while back, so I don't really expect a great deal of difference between them.
    Probably not much different, both are around the same weights and have black coating on them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The black chrome had a deeper tone and the attack wasnt as sharp as the coated. Personally, I preferred the Black Chrome. I wont be replacing my Aquarian Focus-X coated for the Evans Black Chrome though.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

WOW, wish I'd known about these before I bought all those EC2's. Just saw an ad for them online last night. I actually used to like how hydraulic heads made my turdy CB700's sound years ago, Lol. I know they aren't hydros tho, just random thoughts about the referencing them to hydros.
    I like black heads. Might hafta order a couple to see how they sound.

User Info Menu

@ljmarch & bigfatdrummer - Good comments. I couldn't agree more. I switched to the Black Chrome heads from the ec2 sst's, which I really like. Great depth without too much dampening. Next I'm switching my reso's to g1's from the Ambassador's that came with the kit.
    Fyi - these heads are on a Reference kit, I'm using Jojo Mayer sticks, & no I'm not playing metal.
    Last edited by dugdrums; 09-11-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: additional info.
    DRM>

User Info Menu

Ancient thread, I know, but I just decided to get a set of Evans Black Chrome heads for my 10, 12, 14, 16 DW Collector's maple kit. I've been debating a long time about this. I currently have Evans G2s as batters, G1s as resos. I'm leaving the reso heads alone. Can't wait to see what the chromes will sound like. I know a lot of folks think they are dead or muffled, but I'm hoping for deep and dark. Should be fun to play with!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Ancient thread, I know, but I just decided to get a set of Evans Black Chrome heads for my 10, 12, 14, 16 DW Collector's maple kit. I've been debating a long time about this. I currently have Evans G2s as batters, G1s as resos. I'm leaving the reso heads alone. Can't wait to see what the chromes will sound like. I know a lot of folks think they are dead or muffled, but I'm hoping for deep and dark. Should be fun to play with!
    Why not buy a single 16" head - if they sound good 10/12/14 sets are easily purchased (at least here in the UK). Somehow I can't get my head around the idea of muffling DWs. I'm confused..

User Info Menu

This would make your DW kit look sooooo sexy!! Pics whenever they come in!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    This would make your DW kit look sooooo sexy!! Pics whenever they come in!!
    late, I agree, but as cool as I think the look will be, I am hoping that the sound turns out the way I'm thinking. I'll get some pictures when those bad boys get mounted!
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

late, I agree, but as cool as I think the look will be, I am hoping that the sound turns out the way I'm thinking. I'll get some pictures when those bad boys get mounted!
    Thanks Curt!

User Info Menu

Here are my newly installed Black Chrome heads (crummy iPhone pictures, but too lazy to get the real cameras out...sorry about that). I have to say that I really like these! I think they are actually just what I was hoping for. Unlike what others have said about these heads, they are not dead, or muffled; at least not to my ears. They do seem a bit deeper than the G2s I had on before, but not significantly 'less bright', if you will, which is precisely what I was expecting, and wanted out of them. I'm happy with them. And, they look cool, too.

Oh, and I think this is the first picture I've posted of my new Zildjian 19" Hybrid K Custom China, too (second picture, upper right corner).

Last edited by cabasner; 08-30-2014 at 10:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I went on YouTube and heard a number of sound samples of those heads and truthfully, to me they remind me of the "Remo Ebony" heads.

Both "muffle" your drum - to the point you have no sustain or so little sustain that you wouldnt notice it...however, if you "Mic" your toms, then this might be the way to go.
    They look good too~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    ... Both "muffle" your drum - to the point you have no sustain or so little sustain that you wouldnt notice it...however, if you "Mic" your toms, then this might be the way to go.
    They look good too~!
    Well, maybe that's what it sounds like on the posted videos, but I must say that when I dialed them in (which was easy to do with my DW Collector's maple), they have sustain similar to the clear G2s I had in place before, just a bit deeper in tone. At least to my ears.

User Info Menu

You may be right about the YouTube vids - The Remo Ebony's had a similar sound - except they reversed the black head and the clear head positions - Remo put the black on top and the clear on the bottom - and as best I remember, the thickness was almost the very same.

User Info Menu

Here are my newly installed Black Chrome heads (crummy iPhone pictures, but too lazy to get the real cameras out...sorry about that). I have to say that I really like these! I think they are actually just what I was hoping for. Unlike what others have said about these heads, they are not dead, or muffled; at least not to my ears. They do seem a bit deeper than the G2s I had on before, but not significantly 'less bright', if you will, which is precisely what I was expecting, and wanted out of them. I'm happy with them. And, they look cool, too.

Oh, and I think this is the first picture I've posted of my new Zildjian 19" Hybrid K Custom China, too (second picture, upper right corner).

Your description is accurate to my ears. I liked them. But to me, unmiced, they don't have the projection of a G1 or G2, which is why I got rid of them.

User Info Menu

I wonder why they are any different than another 2-ply head. I've always thought it odd that the head makers can't or don't come out with different colors of their popular lines that are the same to our ears as their standard versions. I bet they would sell a ton if they could make it happen.

User Info Menu

Wow they look really cool and I'm glad they sound good too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow they look really cool and I'm glad they sound good too!
    Thanks, late...

Now I'm gonna try something really silly JUST for the looks, and we'll wee what it sounds like...I've heard from a few places that the sound is good.

What I'm talking about is a Remo Black Suede head on my Black Beaty snare... It will be black heads all around, and wonder what the BB will sound like with the suede in place...

User Info Menu

I just bought these for my kit! I can't wait to get them on and try them out!!

User Info Menu

Thanks, late...

Now I'm gonna try something really silly JUST for the looks, and we'll wee what it sounds like...I've heard from a few places that the sound is good.

What I'm talking about is a Remo Black Suede head on my Black Beaty snare... It will be black heads all around, and wonder what the BB will sound like with the suede in place...

The Jack DeJohnette head will probably sound better on the BB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I was going to suggest the same thing. It's made by Aquarian, BTW.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I put one on my BB about two months ago and can't get it to sound "right".................Going back to an Evans Dry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I put one on my BB about two months ago and can't get it to sound "right".................Going back to an Evans Dry.
    Single ply coated....let that baby RING!

User Info Menu

I too in the same boat. I had a Jack DeJohnette on my world max (BB copy) for a while and I just switched over to a genera dry and it sounds way better!

User Info Menu

Well, I have honestly have no idea what the Black Suede is going to sound like on the BB. Hopefully, I'll like it. But if not...I can always change it! I tend towards deep tones, and that sound may be different than what most of you prefer. In fact, those deep tones are what make me really want to get a DW Cherry kit. The cherry is supposed to give the sound I'd love to have.

User Info Menu

I've been using them on my floor toms, but I decided to replace my worn out G2 heads with these. They definitely do not need any muffling, they have significantly less resonance than the G2 heads. I'm not sure if I like them on my rack toms or not yet, they just sound different. I can get the same tone as the G2, but with much less sustain.