Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sound guy wanted my drums taped up

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sound guy wanted my drums taped up

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Love it.

User Info Menu

I played a gig in a bar, last Friday. I've been playing there with various bands since the place opened in that particular location, twenty-odd years ago. It used to be that I would come in, set up, and the owner would ask of me, "try to keep the noise level down a bit. Think of the neighbours, you know?" And then proceed to turn up the PA (vocals) to insane levels. We all laughed about it.

Anyway. Times change, as do neighbours and local ordinances. There is now a dreaded dB-gauge mounted over the stage, and a (semi-)hard rule that it cannot go over 100dB.

So, I show up with my recently-reskinned, finely tuned, wonderfully warm and resonant Custom Z kit, taking care to not pick one of my louder snare drums for this gig. By the end of the sound check, however, there is a towel in my bass drum and tape on my snare drum, my crashes, bottom hi hat, and all my tom reso's. We manage to at least mostly stay within the sonic limits. What can you do? You grind your teeth, swallow your pride and get the job done. The show must go on, after all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Yup, my theory as well. "It has all the glory" love that. Drums are meant to resonate, it's the nature of the beast. Don't tame it, embrace it! I also like what he says about not having to turn the gains up because the kit us open and loud. I mic my entire kit with just two overheads , a mic on each kick and a snare mic hanging above the kit. Sounds great.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 02-24-2015 at 05:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Yup, my theory as well. "It has all the glory" love that. Drums are meant to resonate, it's the nature of the beast. Don't tame it, embrace it! I also like what he says about not having to turn the gains up because the kit us open and loud. I mic my entire kit with just two overheads , a mic on each kick and a snare mic hanging above the kit. Sounds great.
    Just like the glory days of the swing era. One mike in the general proximity of the drums. Let them speak wide open. So to speak...LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Guys, go to about the 4:00 mark and maybe this can clarify some things
    An excellent explanation to prove the point. Don't judge the sound of your drums just from the throne. Find ways to hear the sound out front too.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post
    I played a gig in a bar, last Friday. I've been playing there with various bands since the place opened in that particular location, twenty-odd years ago. It used to be that I would come in, set up, and the owner would ask of me, "try to keep the noise level down a bit. Think of the neighbours, you know?" And then proceed to turn up the PA (vocals) to insane levels. We all laughed about it.

Anyway. Times change, as do neighbours and local ordinances. There is now a dreaded dB-gauge mounted over the stage, and a (semi-)hard rule that it cannot go over 100dB.

So, I show up with my recently-reskinned, finely tuned, wonderfully warm and resonant Custom Z kit, taking care to not pick one of my louder snare drums for this gig. By the end of the sound check, however, there is a towel in my bass drum and tape on my snare drum, my crashes, bottom hi hat, and all my tom reso's. We manage to at least mostly stay within the sonic limits. What can you do? You grind your teeth, swallow your pride and get the job done. The show must go on, after all.
    Exactly.
    Its great to sit up on your high horse and thump your chest, but when its not your soundman you do what you have to.

User Info Menu

I've heard more than one sound guy say they love miking up Gretsch drums.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I've heard more than one sound guy say they love miking up Gretsch drums.

all the best...
    It's because of that "great Gretsch smell"! Other drums just don't have it.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    It's because of that "great Gretsch smell"! Other drums just don't have it.
    You may be on to something - I may smear my wraps with bacon fat to add that little extra something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    you may be on to something - i may smear my wraps with bacon fat to add that little extra something.
    bacon!

User Info Menu

Save a pig!! buy DW!

User Info Menu

No tape for me tonight. Still had the pinstripes on because I was sick over the weekend. The bass drum sounded great.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    You may be on to something - I may smear my wraps with bacon fat to add that little extra something.
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    bacon!
    Just trade in your kit for a Pork Pie and light it on fire at the end of the last set
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

SO did a gig as part of a multi-bar festival last night, we were the first band to play (we also got there when they asked and waited 90min for the rest of the people to show). so basically we had the sound check and 3min later started playing.

Anyway, we sound check a song in which i ride a little bit on my crash. The sound guy came up as if the place was about to burn down and said (in czech), "It's terrrible, it's terribly loud!" and then proceeded to tape my crash and ride. He then acted like i was unprofessional because I didn't have rods (we had a 30min slot). There was a PA system which was quite loud (certainly enough to go over my drums) and huge amps that you could use for a decently large outdoor show. Despite that fact, my cymbals were too loud (one of our guys said it was fine). The best part, the other bands were louder, and didn't have their cymbals taped.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is because when the guy came up in a very unprofessional way (instead of just saying "hey man, your cymbals are a bit loud) I may have given a look of horror when he taped my crash, but I didn't say or do anything, precisely because of this thread.

So thanks DC, you helped a newish drummer once again!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I think i would be a little irritated with somewone taping my cymbals..like it wouldn't happen type of irritation... sounds kinda amateurish, soundman taping cymbals..will he be there to clean up my cymbals?. I think you have to draw a line somewhere... heads ok, I'll be co-operative, but you're not taping my cymbals!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    I think i would be a little irritated with somewone taping my cymbals..like it wouldn't happen type of irritation... sounds kinda amateurish, soundman taping cymbals..will he be there to clean up my cymbals?. I think you have to draw a line somewhere... heads ok, I'll be co-operative, but you're not taping my cymbals!
    If I were a better drummer, I'd just play softer, but I can't play controlled consistently. Well, my mentor, who has been a pro for 4 decades says Czechs are the worst sound people. Luckily when i took the tape off none of it stayed on the cymbals. the problem in this country is everyone knows everyone, so it's better just to let morons be morons and not make a fuss, and there\s no way we're playing there again anyway, but yea, amateur night on sound most definitely!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I had this issue constantly with sound guys. I went and bought really good mics (Sennheiser 421's ) and they still wanted tape and crap all over my heads. Finally gave up and bought an Alesis dm5 and triggers. No were good as sound as my kit, but no more fighting with sound people.