Thread: Craigslist translation

User Info Menu

Default Craigslist translation

For context, my sticks and pad are now 3 days old, so I'm no longer a drumming virgin.

Searching through craigslist in San Diego and Orange County, the dominant used kits are PDP, Pearl Export and lots of misc low end. Love the over-used term "vintage".

As I now own more time than money, I will practice my patience buying/assembling a kit along with my rudiments. Cymbals, snare, hardware and pedals are my highest quality priorities.

1. Is my $1,000 rough budget do-able?
    2. Is there an online resource or spreadsheet with quick comparison of top manufacturers' kit levels?

Each mfr having 5+ kit levels and changing these every handful of years does a good job of blurring the lines of quality. It seems similar to my experience with golf equipment, on-line dating and wine. At least bad wine can be thrown into red sauce.

Thanks, Doc in Baja

User Info Menu

Default Re: Craigslist translation

bajadock, like the others have already mentioned...getting a set for 1000k is do-able....now with a good cymbal pack...maybe hard...just don't be to quick on the trigger and maybe a sweet deal will come along..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Just go around and search for what is out there for your buck. Pearl Exports are a well established brand of drums. Now depending on the shell. Maple is the best for sound in any kind of music so therefore would be more expensive than birch, poplar etc. Take your time before you jump into this cause you will be stuck with it for awhile. As for Vintage to me is 40's,50's, 60's and early 70's. Good luck
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-20-2010 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd have to respectfully disagree that maple is the "best sound". It's personal preference. I have maple and birch drums and they are just different, not necessarily better or worse. Maple is more expensive because it is more popular right now and it also grows more slowly than birch.

As for $1000 for drums you can definitely pull it off, although as Marty mentioned, the cymbals are going to be tough to find. There are a lot of reasonable kits out there that you can get used with hardware for like $500 which leaves you $500 for a cymbal pack.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

We should have a survey on what sounds better. Wait a minute we already did a few months ago and if I recall Maple was the number 1 choice for sound from most drummers. Polls don't lie. Go check it out Kaosotis no disrespect here.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-21-2010 at 08:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    We should have a survey on what sounds better. Wait a minute we already did a few months ago and if I recall Maple was the number 1 choice for sound from most drummers. Polls don't lie. Go check it out Kaosotis no disrespect here.
    I work for a Market research company. Even professional polls lie. Amateur ones even more so. For instance, Maple is the more popular now, that means more are owned by players, and more are wanted by players. Who's going to say, "I've bought a maple/want a maple, but I think Birch sounds better."? Advertising and endorsements matter hugely in popularity.

For the record, my opinion is, if you listen to 100 kits live or recorded, mic'd or not, you wouldn't have a hope in hell of identifying the wood. Head choice and tuning have a much bigger effect on sound than the shell.

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post

For the record, my opinion is, if you listen to 100 kits live or recorded, mic'd or not, you wouldn't have a hope in hell of identifying the wood. Head choice and tuning have a much bigger effect on sound than the shell.

Andy
    You said a mouthful there Andy. Great post. Yes, there are so many variables that go into it.

User Info Menu

Hey tell us more about your marketing research company. Sounds like an interesting job.

User Info Menu

The birch v. maple discussion is interesting. AndyC in Mallorca has a good point about sound. Reminds me of blind wine tasting surprises to wine snobs.

Obvious that if my budget were $2K, I would have no problem. And I'll likely bust the $1K budget with new heads, hardware,...

Interesting that in my 10 days of craigslist search, drum listings have almost doubled. Holiday cash crunch? Space for in-laws invading? One year after purchase, drumming not as easy as perceived?

User Info Menu

No offense taken, and I think Andy makes some good points about polls. My point wasn't that maple wasn't more popular (which is what polls tell you), but simply that what sounds better is personal opinion, not a statement of fact.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

ThePloughman Guest

Personally, for myself, I would eliminate from the list any of the "custom" drum companies with proprietary hardware, any of the "custom" high end over priced cookie cutter custom companies with generic bought from the same source hardware, and anything with holes drilled in the shells, skull artwork in the finish, neon colors (ie Fad setups based on scene trends). I would also recommend eliminating anything "vintage" from your list unless you have the experience and or research capability to adequately inform yourself as to exactly what you are looking at or for. Because once yer screwed, yer screwed, and no going back. Stick with the majors for manufacturers. Bottom line is ..... if you dont already know what you want... you are way too undecided to be courting a marriage.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 11-21-2010 at 12:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hey tell us more about your marketing research company. Sounds like an interesting job.
    It's great in some ways, in that to a large degree I can choose to accept or not the work on offer. So gig last Friday night, didn't have to go into work. Most of the "Interesting" stuff, I really can't put on here.

Andy

User Info Menu

Time flies. Some travel and family issues are now handled and I'm back to craigslist and ebay. Have had interesting discoveries past 2 weeks.

Found a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage kit with Evans heads that sounded great to me. Comparing this to Mapex Saturn demo 2 weeks ago was difficult due to time lag. But, I liked both kits, preferred the Yam hardware.

So, you veterans can mow me down with your comments on this beer to champagne comparison. But, good heads and tuning(and mic/sound setup later for me) certainly make a big difference.

My $1,000 budget is now bumped to $1,500. Crap cymbals are abundant on craigslist kits. Cheers

User Info Menu

After months of other diversions, finally bought a Mapex Saturn Pro kit this week. Includes 10,12,14,16 toms and they guy selling them was just clearing out his garage, so it was a great find.

Got all hardware, including extra cymbal stands. Will post pix when I purchase cymbals to complete my kit.

User Info Menu

That's a nice pro level kit you got there. Enjoy!
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

dave0549jv Guest

another 'be patient and you'll find a good deal' success story. congrats man!

User Info Menu

Congratulations bajadock! I know you are going to be very happy with your Saturn kit. When you get a chance to get some pictures of it, just post is here, or in the "Show Us Your Drums" thread.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The Saturn Pro's are a rare kit, not to be confused with the Saturns of today. Saturn pro's were more or less considered a mid level kit of the 90's, using basswood/maple shells and good but in some cases dull finishes. Still a great score however, best of luck picking out some good complimentary cymbals to go with them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments