Thread: Tips, Pointers, Advice and Forecasts Welcomed

User Info Menu

Default Tips, Pointers, Advice and Forecasts Welcomed

Hello DC Friends:

One month from today (after 37 years and two months), I will retire from full-time work.
    Emotionally, spiritually, physically, and above all, financially, I think I'm ready.

But you don't know what you don't know !
    I know people that love retirement and people that couldn't wait to get back to work.
    Therefore, for you people with experience, or knowledge of others' experience, I will eagerly listen.

Among my four priorities (family, career, golf, and music) I have only time for three.
    For the past six or seven years, I have put golf on the back burner.
    Golf is already beginning to replace career as I have been sneaking off to the driving range trying to relocate a decent swing.
    The band is still going well and the family is as good as it gets..................so the priorities are currently in minor transition.

Thanks for any help and thanks for allowing me to be a part of the DC community for the last 8 years.

Best regards,
    Richard
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tips, Pointers, Advice and Forecasts Welcomed

I wish I could retire... I don't think my group will be able to lol
    Time to play the lottery!

My dad retired a couple years ago and still makes great money playing in his band.
    Honestly that crazy old man made almost $35k playing last year. . .
    I'm mind blown and let me remind you, he plays the accordion

User Info Menu

Congrats on the pending retirement Ricardo. In a month, everyday will feel like a Friday and you'll wake up every morning thinking it's Saturday.

Sounds as though you got things pretty much lined up as in, golf, golf and more golf. In 72 months, I'll be calling it quits too.

Guys that are a ahead of me in retirement often give me advice such as "...keep active don't hang out at home and don't get in the way of your wife". This won't be an issue for me now lol!

The psychological factors some face when they retire is answering the question "What's next?" or "What do I do all day?"

I know you and your wife love to travel. Heck you even visited close to my neck of the woods when you guys toured the Napa Valley vineyards a few years back.

But at the end of the day, there are only so many rounds of golf one can play in a week and traveling around the world or around this country can get a bit pricey.

I see retired guys hanging out at my local donut shop all morning reminiscing about the good 'ol days but don't be one of those guys, please?

My plans are pretty simple. God willing if I stay healthy, I'm going to get a pickup truck with a camper and go rescue a dog at my local animal shelter, pack up my drums and hit the road with the dog to see all of the places I missed while I was tied down raising kids and busting my butt working as a public servant.

Good luck and don't forget to duck your head when you hear "FORE!'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hello DC Friends:

One month from today (after 37 years and two months), I will retire from full-time work.
    Emotionally, spiritually, physically, and above all, financially, I think I'm ready.

But you don't know what you don't know !
    I know people that love retirement and people that couldn't wait to get back to work.
    Therefore, for you people with experience, or knowledge of others' experience, I will eagerly listen.

Among my four priorities (family, career, golf, and music) I have only time for three.
    For the past six or seven years, I have put golf on the back burner.
    Golf is already beginning to replace career as I have been sneaking off to the driving range trying to relocate a decent swing.
    The band is still going well and the family is as good as it gets..................so the priorities are currently in minor transition.

Thanks for any help and thanks for allowing me to be a part of the DC community for the last 8 years.

Best regards,
    Richard
    Congrats! I'm 1 yr and 5 mo. in on my retirement, I was putting 9 to 12 hr days and commuting 84 mi to and from work in Southern Cal. Hell traffic every day and I don't miss it at all! lol.I'm fortunate enough to have worked at a job that I could retire especially here in So. Cal.I came out a little ahead making a little more retired than I was working! lol.

User Info Menu

RICKY, YOU WILL LOVE RETIREMENT.

i'M NOT GOING TO "BUY THE FARM" OUT OF SPITE, JUST SO I CAN ENJOY NOT KNOWING WHAT DAY IT IS, NOR CARING.

I THINK IT'S JULY, BUT I REALLY DON'T CARE AND YOU WON'T EITHER.

FOR 4 FOUR FORE
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I retired 4 years ago, purchased a custom built rv and have been on the road ever since. Been to the southern tip of Baja Mexico to the Artic circle and 49 states, still on the road enjoying life to its fullest.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I wish I could retire... I don't think my group will be able to lol
    We are in the same boat, Zack...............I'm just further along.
    My wife will soon be 60 and my daughter will be 30; just take care of your girls and life will be fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Congrats on the pending retirement Ricardo. In a month, everyday will feel like a Friday and you'll wake up every morning thinking it's Saturday.
    Funny you should mention that.................I was recently talking to a friend that retired a year ago...............he said this:
    "All my life, when I woke up on a Saturday, I knew it was a Saturday -- now every day is a Saturday."
    Thanks, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Congrats! I'm 1 yr and 5 mo. in on my retirement, I was putting 9 to 12 hr days and commuting 84 mi to and from work in Southern Cal. Hell traffic every day and I don't miss it at all!
    I recently attended a funeral of a work colleague -- also in attendance were 6 or 7 old colleagues that have retired.
    Every one of them suggested that after a short transition period, they don't miss working at all...................good to know.
    Thanks, MD

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    RICKY, YOU WILL LOVE RETIREMENT.
    I agree -- and it will be one more thing you and I have in common.
    Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    I retired 4 years ago, purchased a custom built rv and have been on the road ever since. Been to the southern tip of Baja Mexico to the Artic circle and 49 states, still on the road enjoying life to its fullest.
    Now that sounds awesome -- not sure how long my wife could hold out for that.
    Is there a custom RV out there made by Ritz-Carlton ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

^^^^ You would be surprised at what they can build, mine is 45' 600 hp 12 speed tandem drive axels took 6 months to build .
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases