Thread: Snare Help/Suggestions

User Info Menu

Default Snare Help/Suggestions

First a little background. I currently play Tama Imperialstars (all Poplar). I'm going to be buying an upgraded kit soon and have pretty much decided on a Gretsch Renown Maple set. However, instead of buying the matching snare with the Renowns, I'd like to buy a snare, separately.

I play a mix of music from worship to country to folk/americana to classic rock. I'm thinking I really would like a metal snare as opposed to wood, for this one. Budget for the snare is about $300.

Any suggestions of ones to look at? I've been shopping online and boy are the possibilities endless.

Thanks,
    Tex

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Help/Suggestions

Hey Tex...what depth and diameter are you thinking about? And you are correct sir, so many choices.....

User Info Menu

Oh yeah....

14 x 6.5 or 14 x 7

User Info Menu

Tex, I'm seeing a ton of pro-level snares metal snares but in used condition. Do you have your heart set on a new snare for that price range? If yes, the choices get much narrower. I see a new Ludwig 8x14" Black Magic for $389 but a bit over your price range. I have a new Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5x14" Supra-Phonic on layaway for $590. I bought the 5x14" Black Beauty about 5 years ago and it impressed me so much, I had to have the 6.5 x 14" model!!

Ludwig Black Magic 8x14" $389 USD at Big Box Store prices:

From Ludwig:

"Ludwig poineered the black-nickel over brass shell concept in the early 1920's, setting a standard that all others would follow. Black Magic Snare Drums bring that signature sound and quality to a whole new playing spectrum, with four models to satisfy any playing situation. Accentuated with matching tube lugs and die-cast hoops, Black Magic snares deliver classic tone that drummers have come to expect from Ludwig."

Last edited by late8; 01-14-2013 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Late. That one was on my list, so good to know someone has had good experience with it. I've actually found the 14x6.5 for $300 down here, too. Thanks for the help!

User Info Menu

I have a Black Beauty SS, a Black Magic, and a Acrolite. You can make any 1 of them sound good with some decent tuning.

User Info Menu

You can also get cheaper ones from worldmax. Same frame than in black magic.
    Very good snares in good price.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22600&dateline=135509  2622

User Info Menu

I've got a Brass Pearl Sensitone that i'm loving, mines only 14x5 with die-casts, but im pretty sure they do 6.5, should be nicely in budget too!

User Info Menu

+1 Pearl Sensitone's. solid drums, super value.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips!

User Info Menu

Most of the beaded black brass snare drums will sound closely the same and they all will sound good with the right heads and tuning. Worldmax makes most of the shells for the Black Beauty knock off drums, even the Ludwig Black Magic. I have three different black brass snares from three different manufactures and love them all but my fav is still the Black Magic 8 x 14.

User Info Menu

We can all tell you what our favorite snare is but you have to play it.

My .02 is this, go to a few music stores and play as many snares as you can, let your ears tell you.

If you end up really liking something out of your price range, take your time and find one used.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    We can all tell you what our favorite snare is but you have to play it.

My .02 is this, go to a few music stores and play as many snares as you can, let your ears tell you.

If you end up really liking something out of your price range, take your time and find one used.
    Sage advice

User Info Menu

Wish I could help, but I favor wood snares over metal. Hit a nice shop and play a few. You'll find something you like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Thanks Late. That one was on my list, so good to know someone has had good experience with it. I've actually found the 14x6.5 for $300 down here, too. Thanks for the help!
    ...I own a 14 x 6.5 Black Magic.............it is a great snare. Here's a side by side comparison I did a while back with a few different snares next to the BM.

Last edited by longgun; 01-16-2013 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

^Great demo video LG..I remember it well!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ^Great demo video LG..I remember it well!!
    Thanks Late8..............I had a few too many in me.........probably shouldn't do that......Mistakes are recorded for posterity!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Thanks Late8..............I had a few too many in me.........probably shouldn't do that......Mistakes are recorded for posterity!
    It show's you are human and not a machine. BTW...Great double stroke rolls as mentioned by many others who watched the same video. Thanks for taking the time to do the demo. I know it takes effort to pull one off!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    It show's you are human and not a machine. BTW...Great double stroke rolls as mentioned by many others who watched the same video. Thanks for taking the time to do the demo. I know it takes effort to pull one off!
    .....Thanks Late, was going to do some more with my other snares, but haven't got around to it yet.

....one day

Just hopes this help Tex with his snare drum quest

User Info Menu

I got my DW brass used for around 300, but if you cant find a deal on one of those i suggest as the others have, some form of brass shell. Ive seen alot of Pork Pie "big black" snare drums go for very cheap used, and they are a great drum (was going to buy one of those but found the DW). Good luck on your search.

User Info Menu

In a word...LUDWIG

in two words...Any Ludwig

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. Great demo Longgun - much appreciated. I think I have decided on the Ludwig Black Magic in 14 x 6.5 or maybe even 14 x 8.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. Great demo Longgun - much appreciated. I think I have decided on the Ludwig Black Magic in 14 x 6.5 or maybe even 14 x 8.
    Good choice, there is a video on you tube where they compare all the Black Magic snare drums, I went with the 8" version because of that video, I would insert a link but its from a drum shop.

Last edited by zarrdoss; 01-18-2013 at 11:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Tex..........I would recommend the 6.5

I own a DW 14 x 8 and have owned deep snares in the past.

The 6.5 just seems a little more versatile, at least to me......plus, it's a bit cheaper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Thanks Tex..........I would recommend the 6.5

I own a DW 14 x 8 and have owned deep snares in the past.

The 6.5 just seems a little more versatile, at least to me......plus, it's a bit cheaper.
    Thanks Gun. I'll take that into consideration. Versatility is a good thing.

-Tex