Thread: Damage to hearing

User Info Menu

Default Damage to hearing

I have a few pairs of so-called "noise-canceling" headphones for practicing, but they all claim to reduce the low frequencies and leave high frequencies in tact. But my question is, aren't the high frequencies what damage your hearing? Like crash cymbals, rimshots, etc.? And if that's true, are there any headphones on the market that reduce the high frequencies instead of low frequencies?

-Yo
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Damage to hearing

I use those headphones they use at firing ranges, and I love the sound they give you. I was looking for maximum db cancellation, and this is the best Ive found yet. Definitely kills the highs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I use those headphones they use at firing ranges, and I love the sound they give you. I was looking for maximum db cancellation, and this is the best Ive found yet. Definitely kills the highs.
    Where can you get those? And how much do they cost?

Also I forgot to say, I'm not looking to put hundreds of dollars into these headphones so something more on the cheaper side would be better.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I use noise cancelling earmuffs that are meant for shooting and theyre about 20 bucks. And if i want to play music, i pop in the earbuds under them and i got noise cancelling head phones
    RAWR!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Are you looking for headphones to listen to music through or simply for hearing protection?

Personally, I would not use anything as drastic as gun range or airfield headsets. I know I would compensate by playing too loud which would develop bad habits. Personally, (I've mentioned this elsewhere) I use Skull Candy ear buds (with the soft tip covers) for metronome use or playing along to an iPod, and HEAROS High Fidelity decibile reducing earplugs otherwise.

Quote from a review:

"The cap and stem that extend out of the HiFi HEAROS form a folded horn and resonance structure that vibrates at the same 2.8kHz resonance as the human ear. When combined with the concha resonance of the ear canal at the end of the HiFi filter, the physics of the HiFi HEAROS result in an eardrum pressure frequency-balanced like that of a normal, open ear but with sound pressure reduced by 20 decibels."

They also make Skull Screw and Rock and Roll models which reduce the sound even further, but will not be as clear sonically.

User Info Menu

Highs and lows can both damage your hearing. High pitch is always the first to go, due to the way that your ears are made. The hair cells that pick up sound and thinner at the tip (where highs are perceived) and thicker at the base (where lows are perceived). High pitched noise only causes the tip to vibrate. Low pitched noise causes the whole thing to vibrate. Thus, low pitched noise can still damage your high range hearing. Wierd, but true.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

i just got the Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs

(corp and paste)
    Technical Details:
    Reduces noise while preserving sound quality
    Speech is clear, not muffled
    Ready-fit, low cost hearing protection
    All sound is reduced evenly by 20 dB
    Helps prevent noise-induced hearing loss

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Where can you get those? And how much do they cost?

Also I forgot to say, I'm not looking to put hundreds of dollars into these headphones so something more on the cheaper side would be better.
    Got em at Wal Mart, no more than $40.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipp View Post
    i just got the Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs

(corp and paste)
    Technical Details:
    Reduces noise while preserving sound quality
    Speech is clear, not muffled
    Ready-fit, low cost hearing protection
    All sound is reduced evenly by 20 dB
    Helps prevent noise-induced hearing loss

Those look similar to the Hearos...a tad more expensive but still pretty cheap. And they look like they might even be a bit nicer...

User Info Menu

They also have a string that attaches to both ends. Plus a little case. Have the case straped to my snare. Very handy

User Info Menu

The ER20S are what I use too, they are great for drumming with but as I also sing backing vocals in my band it gets hard to hear the vocals sometimes whilst drumming. If i had the cash I would have in ear monitors made which are moulded to the shape of my ear and the level can then be controlled by the desk but thats only if the band take off and do full arena and festival tours etc.

The ER20S are a great product.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

WHAT ???
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Come on man, anythings possible with enough money!
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

after reading this thread I went out a bought a cheap set of sony noise canceling headphones today they were $35 and I am just in from playing several songs with them on and all I have to say is...if you play acoustic drums and don't have a pair of them GET THEM AS SOON AS YOU CAN !!!! They are great I was able to turn the music way down and My ears are not ringing after playing !! That has to be a good thing !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

+1 for the Hear-Os... $5 at a drug store.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzey Street Band (JSB) View Post
    ...If i had the cash I would have in ear monitors made which are moulded to the shape of my ear and the level can then be controlled by the desk but thats only if the band take off and do full arena and festival tours etc...
    Ok, we're not touring and stuff, but I did exactly that. I like 'em a lot. And when I'm out listening to live music, I use my custom musician's earplugs (again molded to my ears). Best $175 I ever spent on gear.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I just returned a pair like those. They did a great job at cancelling the noise and even gave me an idea as to what my kit would sound like if it was mic'd. But it actually cancelled out too much and I could barely hear what I was playing. Also, for some reason, anything I heard was just a loud *THUMP* from hitting something. Even if it was a cymbal. Instead of hearing even a muted crash noise, I just heard the noise from the stick hitting it. Was weird.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bruarm View Post
    Ok, we're not touring and stuff, but I did exactly that. I like 'em a lot. And when I'm out listening to live music, I use my custom musician's earplugs (again molded to my ears). Best $175 I ever spent on gear.
    Yup, same here, I bit the bullet and got my custom musician earplugs, 25 db of attenuation, flat across the frequency spectrum, and got custom ear tips for my in ear monitors- M Audio IE-30's. It doesn't reduce the permanent ringing i have but it keeps it from gettin louder!!

User Info Menu

I use a pair of skull candy sound cancelling stuff, works great cancels out a good ammount of noise and if you don't have music playing you can hear the drumset pretty well.
    The Emergency Exit Band (still working out kinks)

Pearl Masters Custom Maple
    8"x8"
    10"x10"
    13"x10"
    16"16"
    18"x16"

6.5"x14" Pearl Maple Free Floating Snare
    22"x20" Virgin Bass

12" Avedis Splash
    14" Avedis Projection Hihats
    13.25" K Hybrid Hihats
    17" A Custom Crash
    16" Meinl MB10 Medium Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Crystal Thin Crash
    18" Sabian AA Crash Ride
    20" A Custom Medium Ride
    21" Avedis Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

I use ER20's in band practice but when playing to music I wear Skullcandy earbuds... but my pair are doing this thing where the treble gets cut out, the sound distorts and it's nowhere near the volume I would like them to be... That's happened to every single pair I've had. I'm on my fourth pair now, and they're failing again.

I'm looking at Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Here's a decent review of 'em here...

http://www.dansdata.com/hd280.htm
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Yohin, me hearty, I use me nice, cheap, skullcandy headphones. They be good, arrrggh. Ye can hear ye drums, me hearty, while ye play the music as loud as ye please arrrgghh. They have done me no wrong, so I suggest ye get the cheapest skullcandy ye can find. Too much sound cancelling can prevent ye from hearing ye amazing drum playing, arrrggh.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Had to leave earplugs behind-doctor found impacted wax in my ears!
    So...
    I picked up a pair of 23db noise reduction"earmuffs" from Lowes and my drums sound crisper-like a good recording of them should sound! Anybody have any opinions on these kinds of $12-$20 things?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/