Thread: when should one start learning polyrhythms?

User Info Menu

Default when should one start learning polyrhythms?

i have been playing drums for last 5 months...i would like to know whether i should invest my time into learning polyrhytm at this stage...right now the max i can play is 4/4 on my left feet and 3/4 with my hand:(!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: when should one start learning polyrhythms?

When I hadn't been playing drums very long I had a drummer friend show me three against two, and I use that a lot in 3/4 and 6/8 time signatures. I was also show 4 against 3, but I don't tend to use that as much. Learn as much as you can as soon as you can, the more you know the more you can apply to your playing. If you put in some time on it and don't get it, set it aside and try again later.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

id say go for it! it takes practice practice practice! and along with practice is alot of repetition. start playing things slow over and over again until it becomes second nature to play it and then from there muscle memory kicks in and you develop speed. you have to develop technique first though! so go for it and when your not on ur set play it on a desk top or anywhere! just as long as your practicing.
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

User Info Menu

Its just another aspect of drumming (and music). If you wanna be the best you can be at drums then you'll have to tackle it sooner or later - may as well give it a go!

Good luck!

User Info Menu

thanks a lot..

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat vishwesh! You certainly are ambitious, but hey, if the basics are coming to you, then go for it. I would say, though, that if you are trying to learn polyrhythms before you really have the basics down - like rudiments - then you might be trying to run before you can walk. If you've got the basics under control, though, go for it. Everyone learns things at a different rate.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i agree with PB on the rudiments thing....i would definetly learn your rudiments first..wooooooh paradiddles!!!
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

User Info Menu

as far as the poly's go ....if you can do it go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by little_a View Post
    i agree with PB on the rudiments thing....i would definetly learn your rudiments first..wooooooh paradiddles!!!
    i hate para-diddles. cant get the rr,or,ll the same speed as the rl lr
    Last edited by chafey; 01-23-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: im a drunk idiot