Thread: Breaking Down a Song

User Info Menu

Default Breaking Down a Song

So I just bought a new set of drums, joined a new band and the first song they have decided to cover was a Blink 182 song called Online Songs. Now I'll be the first to say I am not the greatest drummer. I have mostly learned by ear so now I am trying to break apart the song but I can't figure out a part of it: the verses. The way I am perceiving it is like this (I am excluding the hi-hat hits):

Kick-Snare-Kick-Kick-Snare played over and over for the verses. Sounds like a horse galloping. :-) I checked out a couple of videos online and some people use double bass pedals to accomplish the 2 quick Kicks after the first snare hit. Probably cause it's such a fast song. I just wanted to make sure that this is the correct way to play it. Not the pedal used but the hits. I think I might be hearing it wrong. Does anyone have any advice or opinions as to what it might be if any different? The rest of the song seems pretty easy besides it being so fast but I'm sure I'll be able to work on it. Thanks guys!
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Breaking Down a Song

- - x - - - - x
    - - s - - - - s
    b - - - - bb -

You heard it right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Roober View Post
    - - x - - - - x
    - - s - - - - s
    b - - - - bb -

You heard it right.
    I was afraid so. Lol. I got some work to do.

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

I didnt see Online Songs on there. If you can find it you think you can PM me it? Oh btw, 'Online Songs' is the name of the song by Blink 182. Just in case there was some confusion. Thanks!

User Info Menu

If it's trouble you're having getting the two fast kicks in before the next beat, there's a little technique that my teacher taught me, with your heel raised up, to get two fast beats in, hit twice really fast and twist your heel to the right as you strike the second time, I hope that that helps, and if it doesn't I can try to find a video for you, or make one :D

User Info Menu

Just sit in front of the TV or something for ages, playing that pattern with your hands and feet really slowly. Until it becomes second nature. Then go play it on the kit, until you're comfortable with it. You'll find speeding it up is really easy after that.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I tried the song out at practice tonight and I can get the kicks in fast enough. I didn't get a chance to jam out to the whole song so now I guess I have to worry about stamina and keeping it up a couple measures. Thanks for the suggestions guys and Julian if you could make a short little video displaying that technique that'd be awesome. I've been practicing a lot more these past couple of weeks than I have in a while and it's been great. I feel like I'm progressing a little bit. I felt like I was stuck for a while but now I'm trying to get into some rudiments. One I've been doing is the Paradiddle-diddle since watching a Mike Johnston lesson on youtube. Good stuff. Thanks again guys!

User Info Menu

Alrighty then, I can do that pretty quickly after I get home, I'll post the link when I have it up. :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    If it's trouble you're having getting the two fast kicks in before the next beat, there's a little technique that my teacher taught me, with your heel raised up, to get two fast beats in, hit twice really fast and twist your heel to the right as you strike the second time, I hope that that helps, and if it doesn't I can try to find a video for you, or make one :D
    Called The Heel-Toe Technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

OK, I made a really quick video, and here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttb5w...e=channel_page

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    OK, I made a really quick video, and here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttb5w...e=channel_page

Hey Julian...that was pretty cool...thanks for the vid!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Oh, I wasn't what I thought it was. Still, probably going to get more consistency out of heel toe.

(Only reason I wont use your is I like my second kick to be consistently audible.)
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

You know you can do push/pull on the bass drum? Try it. You have to slide your feet, but it's the same basic motion as what you do with your hands. It helps for fast beats.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

here is jo jo showing his foot skills, he dances on the pedals.http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qXY4fc...eature=related

Official cowbell hater.

Subrick Guest

Here's some tips on breaking down a song:

Play each movement separately, determining where a movement starts and ends. This is easier for longer songs, such as those epic Dream Theater songs. For shorter songs play each verse, then each chorus, then each chorus again, each separately.