Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scammers

User Info Menu

Default Scammers

I can not even begin to fathom what just happened to my parents yesterday. They were scammed. I am sitting here feeling mad, guilty, sad and just plain old ticked off.

I had just walked in the door from work this evening and my phone rings. It's my mom. She says, Hi, are you doing ok? I say ya, everything is just fine. She's asks, you just get home? From work? I tell her ya, been working some really long hours and I'm pretty tired. I hear her yell back to my dad, yup, we got scammed.

So, she begins to tell me this story about how the US embassy in the Dominican Republic called her, told her that I had traveled there with a friend, was found to be holding drugs and now I was in jail. They said all my credit cards had been frozen and then supposedly they put "me" on the phone. She said the guy on the phone sounded just like me(this is were I am now starting to get a bit freaked out). According to my mom, this person who was "me" had her convinced it was me and I needed $3000 to get bailed out of jail. My poor mom, went and sent $3000 via western union to some scammer.

I can't even begin to tell you how irratated I am at the moment. I'm also a bit mad at my mom for not asking personal questions, like stuff only I would know.

Thank you all for letting me rant a bit. I'm going to go stew now for awhile. Man, I AM MAD!!!!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Scammers

omg seriously?!

She didn't try to call you first? Or call your work?
    Do you not talk to your mom enough to let her know if you're going on vacation outside of the country? No offense but I'm glad my parents or grandparents would ever fall for that. But it sucks that is happened man. Sorry to hear of your parents loss.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    omg seriously?!

She didn't try to call you first? Or call your work?
    Do you not talk to your mom enough to let her know if you're going on vacation outside of the country? No offense but I'm glad my parents or grandparents would ever fall for that. But it sucks that is happened man. Sorry to hear of your parents loss.
    I talk to them all the time. That's what's killing me right now. They know they can call me on my cell, my landline, my work cell, my work phone, my wife's phone and my step daughter's phone. I am mad that she DIDN'T call me or my wife first. I am just sitting here shaking my head. I asked her why she didn't ask any personal questions. If I was going on vacation, I know I would tell her because I'd be excited about it. The thing that kills me is, I alledgedly went to the Dominican Republic. I don't even have a passport! LOL!

Thank you for the reply spaz. I appreciate it.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

I've read about these types of scams that target seniors all too often and as you know Mark, I work for the CA state legislature (Senate) and lawmakers here have their hands full on trying to pass legislation to protect our seniors from ruthless scam artists like the ones who stole from your parents. Due to the scammers working "off shore", there's nothing that can be done to prevent this from happening again. The only way to prevent this is to educate our seniors on scammers but unfortunately, not all are aware of the extent the thieves will go through to steal from our vulnerable loved ones. Your parents did it out of love and you know how blind love can be.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear this, Mark.

Some scum bag tried to pull a scam on my wife's business this past weekend. 2 whiskers from giving up 2000 dollars she got suspicious and turned out she was right. We dodged that bullet.

Sorry for your parents' loss. That's a lot of money.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

So sorry to hear Mark,there is so much of this going around,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I've read about these types of scams that target seniors all too often and as you know Mark, I work for the CA state legislature (Senate) and lawmakers here have their hands full on trying to pass legislation to protect our seniors from ruthless scam artists like the ones who stole from your parents. Due to the scammers working "off shore", there's nothing that can be done to prevent this from happening again. The only way to prevent this is to educate our seniors on scammers but unfortunately, not all are aware of the extent the thieves will go through to steal from our vulnerable loved ones. Your parents did it out of love and you know how blind love can be.
    You're right, Rich. You just gave me a whole nother perspective. I need to call my mom back. I think I made her feel bad. Crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Sorry to hear this, Mark.

Some scum bag tried to pull a scam on my wife's business this past weekend. 2 whiskers from giving up 2000 dollars she got suspicious and turned out she was right. We dodged that bullet.

Sorry for your parents' loss. That's a lot of money.
    Ya it is. I'm glad you guys "dodged a bullet". Thank you Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    So sorry to hear Mark,there is so much of this going around,
    Ya, you're right. Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it my friend.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

That's crazy! Sorry to hear about it. I can imagine how bad your parents must feel. It probably impacted her quite a bit to lose $3000. Terrible heartless scammers.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Wow that's crazy Mark. So sorry to hear about this - I'm mad for you.

Tell you what...if you catch them, send them to me in Texas; I'll introduce them to my pet rattlesnakes...

Tex

User Info Menu

These guys are pros, time to change all thier email passwords and bank pins, and check thier credit cards, these guys had a lot of personal info from somewhere

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    That's crazy! Sorry to hear about it. I can imagine how bad your parents must feel. It probably impacted her quite a bit to lose $3000. Terrible heartless scammers.
    Oh I'm sure it did make an impact on them. $3000 is nothing to sneeze at now-a-days. I need to call my mom back. I know she is feeling bad. Thanks for the post FBN.

Wow that's crazy Mark. So sorry to hear about this - I'm mad for you.

Tell you what...if you catch them, send them to me in Texas; I'll introduce them to my pet rattlesnakes...

Tex
    A little Texas justice? I'm all for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    These guys are pros, time to change all thier email passwords and bank pins, and check thier credit cards, these guys had a lot of personal info from somewhere
    Ya, that's the next thing I'm going to advise them on. Thank you my friend.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

With all due respects to Randy, send them to me. I'll introduce them to................................................ ...me.

I hate (with a bloody passion) "people" (I can't say the word I want to) that do that, and would have no problem beating them into a stain on the street, and, yes, I still can.

User Info Menu

Very sorry to hear this story. That is a lot of money. I will say however that for her to act on that call without verifying, trying to call you.....something.....was well........not the best decision making process. That's what those scum bag scammers count on. An emotional reaction. Terrible.

User Info Menu

With all due respects to Randy, send them to me. I'll introduce them to................................................ ...me.

I hate (with a bloody passion) "people" (I can't say the word I want to) that do that, and would have no problem beating them into a stain on the street, and, yes, I still can.
    Thanks Rick. I wish there were an easy way to catch these... and I hesitate to use this word.... people.

Oh believe me, I am still quite capable of what you describe as well. I am in the best shape of my life right now, sans my back.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Very sorry to hear this story. That is a lot of money. I will say however that for her to act on that call without verifying, trying to call you.....something.....was well........not the best decision making process. That's what those scum bag scammers count on. An emotional reaction. Terrible.
    Ya, that's what I can't figure out. As I was talking to my mom I asked her, why didn't you ask "me" questions only I would know. My mom just said she was worried and wasn't thinking straight. You are absolutely right, these scumbags prey on people's emotions. Thank you for your reply ITPP.
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 06-10-2015 at 07:55 AM.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    You are absolutely right, these scumbags prey on people's emotions.
    Absolutely...............they use a mothers love to steal.............lower than low.

I'm sure your mom was extremely worried and only wanted to help.

Hopefully, these b*****ds will get caught and pay for their crimes.

User Info Menu

What a horrible story. I wonder all the time how people fall for these scams, yet almost daily you hear that people do.

I'm sorry your folks lost that money, Mark. Just terrible.

User Info Menu

yeah man, that sucks big time. Unsuspecting seniors get taken advantage of all the time and it's just plain wrong. Especially using you (their son) as bait...not fair. I would definitely call your mom back and let her know you're not mad at her and you just care/frustrated. Your parents are probably beating themselves up over this. I once got taken for $100 in Mexico like 10 years ago and it still pisses me off!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Absolutely...............they use a mothers love to steal.............lower than low.

I'm sure your mom was extremely worried and only wanted to help.

Hopefully, these b*****ds will get caught and pay for their crimes.
    That's just it Butch. I don't even consider these scammers as people. They are just scum. You are correct, I'm sure all my mom wanted to do was help. She is one of the most trusting, giving, loving people on the face of this earth. I'm sure she'd do the same for just about anyone. It still really ticks me off that it happened to her.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    What a horrible story. I wonder all the time how people fall for these scams, yet almost daily you hear that people do.

I'm sorry your folks lost that money, Mark. Just terrible.
    Thanks Marko. The thing is like I said earlier, my mom is a very trusting and giving person. I'm sure she was under stress and duress and wasn't thinking straight. It's a good thing that I never come face to face with the people that did this to her or I would really be in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    yeah man, that sucks big time. Unsuspecting seniors get taken advantage of all the time and it's just plain wrong. Especially using you (their son) as bait...not fair. I would definitely call your mom back and let her know you're not mad at her and you just care/frustrated. Your parents are probably beating themselves up over this. I once got taken for $100 in Mexico like 10 years ago and it still pisses me off!
    Oh I'm not mad at her at all. In hind site after talking to her, I could have probably handled it better because I feel like I was grilling her on why she didn't ask questions of the person on the phone that was supposedly me. My mom is just a really wonderful nice person that people can take advantage of her too easily. I have other relatives that have done this, but that's another story for another day. Believe me, the relatives that have done that already will never do it again. Trust me.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

I hate scammers, hackers, whatever. Anyone who inflicts themselves in my life without my consent, is going to have a problem.

I don't want to jump on Mark's thread, but even "legit" companies can screw with you.

Several years ago, I bought a printer from X company. I bought it, put it in the closet knowing I was going to be gone for 4+ months.
    When I got back home, I hooked the printer up, and for a couple of days it worked fine. Then it started putting lines across any page I printed and basically ruined pictures.

I called customer service and told them what was happening. The person I talked to told me that 90 days had passed so I couldn't take it back to the store, and that I had to put it back in the box and send it back to them on my dime. The conversation was longer than that and I was pretty pi$$ed.

I said to this person that I wanted them to listen to something. We lived in a 2nd floor apt overlooking the water. Directly below us was a sidewalk about 8' wide. I took said printer out on the little balcony we had and dropped it over the railing, and grabbed the phone before it hit the ground. I then asked this person if they heard that, which they did (it did make a racket when it hit the ground). I told them that that was their printer, laying down there in quite a few pieces. I then told them that I was going to put the pieces in a box, take it to the store I bought it from, go down the printer aisle, dump it out on the floor, and tell people not to buy this piece of junk.

2 days later, before I had a chance to go back to the store, Fed-Ex or UPS brought me a box containing a new printer with 4-5 extra ink cartridges and a letter of apology from some middle management minion.

Never heard from them again.

Point being that not only scammers will mess with you, but legit business's will if you let them.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm.... You got me thinking, Rick. Gotta try that sometime.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

I hate scammers, hackers, whatever. Anyone who inflicts themselves in my life without my consent, is going to have a problem.

I don't want to jump on Mark's thread, but even "legit" companies can screw with you.

Several years ago, I bought a printer from X company. I bought it, put it in the closet knowing I was going to be gone for 4+ months.
    When I got back home, I hooked the printer up, and for a couple of days it worked fine. Then it started putting lines across any page I printed and basically ruined pictures.

I called customer service and told them what was happening. The person I talked to told me that 90 days had passed so I couldn't take it back to the store, and that I had to put it back in the box and send it back to them on my dime. The conversation was longer than that and I was pretty pi$$ed.

I said to this person that I wanted them to listen to something. We lived in a 2nd floor apt overlooking the water. Directly below us was a sidewalk about 8' wide. I took said printer out on the little balcony we had and dropped it over the railing, and grabbed the phone before it hit the ground. I then asked this person if they heard that, which they did (it did make a racket when it hit the ground). I told them that that was their printer, laying down there in quite a few pieces. I then told them that I was going to put the pieces in a box, take it to the store I bought it from, go down the printer aisle, dump it out on the floor, and tell people not to buy this piece of junk.

2 days later, before I had a chance to go back to the store, Fed-Ex or UPS brought me a box containing a new printer with 4-5 extra ink cartridges and a letter of apology from some middle management minion.

Never heard from them again.

Point being that not only scammers will mess with you, but legit business's will if you let them.
    That's a great story.

User Info Menu

Well, someone tried to scam me this fine morning lol. At 7:30 I got a call from a person representing my credit card company informing that someone was trying to make a purchase of 200 in another part of the country. At first I thought to myself who would call that early in the morning and second he had a realy thick East Indian accent that was hard for me to understand.
    After verifying that it was not me making the purchase he wanted me to cancel my credit card for security reasons. In order for him to do so I had to give the last digits of my credit card. This is when I said to myself this is a scam for sure cause no credit card company would ask for the 4 digits of you credit. Told him where to go and hung up.
    I hit star on my phone which gives you the last number called at your house. Then I googled that number and sure enough there was a warning not to answer or give any info as it was a scam.
    I immediately called my bank of which my credit came from and asked if any purchases where made on my credit card. They said no then I explain my situation and they said that I did the right thing no to give my personal info. I gave the phone number of this scammer and they will look into it.
    I am glad that Markadiddle brought this to our attention about the way his mother was scammed. So I was thinking of that when this person was talking to me.
    Anyway that is my story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    At first I thought to myself who would call that early in the morning and second he had a realy thick East Indian accent that was hard for me to understand..
    Not to be discriminatory, but that's what you have to look out for. The Indian/Middle Eastern accent. My wife gets a call from a guy probably once a month from the same guy, trying to pull the same scam. Last time it was him pretending to be from the IRS and asking questions about our return. Sucks, you can't trust anyone these days

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Well, someone tried to scam me this fine morning lol. At 7:30 I got a call from a person representing my credit card company informing that someone was trying to make a purchase of 200 in another part of the country. At first I thought to myself who would call that early in the morning and second he had a realy thick East Indian accent that was hard for me to understand.
    After verifying that it was not me making the purchase he wanted me to cancel my credit card for security reasons. In order for him to do so I had to give the last digits of my credit card. This is when I said to myself this is a scam for sure cause no credit card company would ask for the 4 digits of you credit. Told him where to go and hung up.
    I hit star on my phone which gives you the last number called at your house. Then I googled that number and sure enough there was a warning not to answer or give any info as it was a scam.
    I immediately called my bank of which my credit came from and asked if any purchases where made on my credit card. They said no then I explain my situation and they said that I did the right thing no to give my personal info. I gave the phone number of this scammer and they will look into it.
    I am glad that Markadiddle brought this to our attention about the way his mother was scammed. So I was thinking of that when this person was talking to me.
    Anyway that is my story.
    Wow!! That was a close call. Good reasoning behind your suspicions.

#1- The credit card company has all of this information in their data-base. Account inquiries always verify billing address and home phone number. They never ask for account numbers. The only time you must provide an account number is when you access the first automated telephone prompt when accessing the customer service department.

#2- Major financial customer service reps will call from within the U.S. during normal business hours. After business hours inquiries to those centers are normally routed to foreign based customer service reps.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rich. As we get older we seem to be target on these scammers. Our generation is a little more cautious then our parents were. We are also more in the groove of things and are aware of scammers. Thanks for sharing some info that will surely help others here on DC.