Thread: Rewrapping Issue

User Info Menu

Default Rewrapping Issue

I just recently ordered some new wrap. While waiting for the wrap to get here i started to remove the old wrap from my set. I removed all the hardware and started to lift the seam which suprisingly lifted up pretty easy. My problem now is i see on the inside seam, they have 2 very small staples which seem virtually impossible to remove without damaging the shell.

Would it be advisable to just leave these small staples where they are and wrap over them? I'm sure I can get a small blade and cut the old wrap around the staple. This is an older Mapex set that I bought to refurbish. I just can't believe someone would staple into the shell like that.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rewrapping Issue

Dan, how did you like the sound of the drum before the re-wrap? If it was good, I wouldn't worry too much about the staples, since you really didn't want to possibly inflict damage on the shells trying to get them out. Of course, this assumes that someone else won't post their experience with how to remove the staples without damaging the shell.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

They sounded pretty good before I started. Unless someone here has a trick to remove those I"ll probably just end up leaving them there assuming there aren't any visual bumps or anything after i put the new wrap on.

User Info Menu

BTW, it good to see you back in here. It had been too long! Tell us a little more about this new re-wrap job.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    BTW, it good to see you back in here. It had been too long! Tell us a little more about this new re-wrap job.
    Well thank you very much I'll get some before and after pics up as soon as they're finished. Hopefully by the end of the week.

User Info Menu

The problem you are going to face is that those little staples are going to really amplify and show when put new wrap over them because of the thickness of the wrap having something push up underneath. My suggestion would be to put a small sanding drum in a dremal tool and slowly and precisely grind the top of the staple off flush wit the shell. If you don't do something like that you can expect visible bumps in your new wrap, I'm afraid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    The problem you are going to face is that those little staples are going to really amplify and show when put new wrap over them because of the thickness of the wrap having something push up underneath. My suggestion would be to put a small sanding drum in a dremal tool and slowly and precisely grind the top of the staple off flush wit the shell. If you don't do something like that you can expect visible bumps in your new wrap, I'm afraid.
    That's exactly what I was afraid of too. A sanding drum? thats interesting. I was thinking of something like a small grinding wheel on the dremel, of course I could be wrong because ive never done that before. any thoughts?

User Info Menu

You are correct about the dremel tool.

However I would recommend that you use a wood shim as your "working" surface and use a small flat blade screw driver to pry them out. The wood shim is what you put between the shell and the flat blade so the blade doesn't come in direct contact with the shell.

Hope that makes sense.

Bottom line, if at all possible, remove those staples. If you have some wood putty, fill in the holes to avoid them becoming a moisture collector.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

would it be bad if you just got the wrap out from around them, and then very lightly, if it goes all the way through, tap it in a further with a small hammer. or like bish said, pry them out and get some wood putty. but either way, other than moisture, i dont think you would have a bad sound, but as for the staple, if it is not sticking out to far, who would see the staple? if they see it it will just look like a bubble in the wrap.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DansNutz View Post
    That's exactly what I was afraid of too. A sanding drum? thats interesting. I was thinking of something like a small grinding wheel on the dremel, of course I could be wrong because ive never done that before. any thoughts?
    You can use that too, I have always found the drum (barrel) sanding attachment to be easier to control. The grinding wheel can spin off the staple and into the shell easier, and put a nice unintended groove in the shell. Bish's suggestion is appropriate as well, my thoughts were that you had already tried to remove the staples in a similar way that he described and were unsuccessful. Anyway you look at it the staples need to come out!

User Info Menu

Lets hope they aren't holding everything together! :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    Lets hope they aren't holding everything together! :P
    lol....very funny. I actually got the wrap off last night AND was able to remove the staples with no issues. Luckily they were sticking up enough where I could just grab them with some needle nose pliers. Came out pretty easy.

I think I posted this pic already in my original thread I started but here it is again anyway. These are my first 2 toms I finished last night. Probably get the the floor tom and bass finished up tonight. Just waiting on my pearl sensitone i bought and I'll be ready to rock again

User Info Menu

Nice job Dan! Is it a sparkle wrap, or is that just the graininess of the pic?

User Info Menu

No, it's just a high gloss white which initially i thought was going to look pretty plain. But I didn't have a ton of money to spend and that was one of their cheapest lol

User Info Menu

Dan, I've seen a couple of white kits on here, and I think they look great. I'm not even sure that I could explain why, other than to say there's something about them that appeals to me. Maybe it's the clean look, or the simplicity of white. Whatever the reason, I think the white kits look good.

User Info Menu

They look great under stage lights as well. Nice job by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    They look great under stage lights as well. Nice job by the way.
    Thanks. I appreciate it. This was my first attempt at doing anything like this so I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out. So far so good I guess.

User Info Menu

interesting, how do you apply the wrap? glue? why cant you just stain the drums? and what are the staples for? Im a bit confused on this!! are the drums a series of plies or are they a type of sawdust and glue wood cheap set?

User Info Menu

looks good