Thread: Black Dog (Zep)

User Info Menu

Default Black Dog (Zep)

Just wondering if anyone here has a personal drum score or chart that they use for "Black Dog". Have a couple of family members coming in next weekend who play guitar/bass respectively and they're looking to jam and "Black Dog" was on their list of tunes. Frankly I can't read tabs so that won't work for me :( Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Dog (Zep)

Sorry, no score's or sheet music to send ya but you can't just pick it up from listening and playing along?

"Black Dog" sounds pretty straight forward. Few triples in there but the basic beat sounds pretty simple, just gotta get those bass doubles and triples down with the snare rolls. Hope I worded that right.

I've been wroking on "When The Levy Breaks" and started with "Kashmir". I got the "Levy" down pretty well, but "Kashmir" is just about there. Gonna try to knock down the "Immigrant Song" next. I've been having alittle trouble with that one myself.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon2000 View Post
    ...drum score or chart that they use for "Black Dog...
    Good evening, Dagon2000...
    If it's just the basic 'guts' you need (rather than a complete score...), you could go to...
    VirtualDrumming-dot-com
    ...where, on the 'drum sheet music' page, you can download, for free, a pdf sheet of Bonham licks, including 'Black Dog'. This should give you the gist of it for jamming, I should think..?
    Hope this helps...
    (I don't count this as a 'commercial link'; hope our mods agree...)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

There's that one part during the guitar solo riff that throws it into a odd time and it seems like the beat is turned around. I saw them play that one night live. Bonzo was playing amber acrylic drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    There's that one part during the guitar solo riff that throws it into a odd time and it seems like the beat is turned around. I saw them play that one night live. Bonzo was playing amber acrylic drums.
    Yeah you're right about that. Modern Drummer years ago published an actual chart for it, there's a 10/8 bar in one spot from what I recall. I know it's in my collection of back issues somewhere, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info everyone. Yeah, I tried doing it by ear last night and it didn't work out too well, albeit it was my first attempt. I'm currently sitting at my desk at work with the song on repeat trying to chart it out. The spot you're talking about definitely changes it up a lot.
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride

User Info Menu

i still can't swing this one yet, but it was very helpful to watch some u tubes of it by many others, to see what drums are hit when. didn't help with kick patterns, but you could see all of it much easier, and practice. there is an odd signature for some of it. this is one of many
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBWX720gH7Q&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪LED ZEPPELIN - BLACK DOG (Drum Cover).mpg‬‏[/ame]

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info everyone. Yeah, I tried doing it by ear last night and it didn't work out too well, albeit it was my first attempt. I'm currently sitting at my desk at work with the song on repeat trying to chart it out. The spot you're talking about definitely changes it up a lot.
    Don't feel bad, The levy song took me about three practice sessions to get the beat down. I had the trouble of my right hand wanting to match the speed on my right foot on the quick bass doubles and that snare fill still deals me fits sometimes, it just takes time. I can do that beat in my sleep now..... Cool beat.

Good luck on Black dog. Hope you get it in time.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    i still can't swing this one yet, but it was very helpful to watch some u tubes of it by many others, to see what drums are hit when. didn't help with kick patterns, but you could see all of it much easier, and practice. there is an odd signature for some of it. this is one of many
    YouTube - ‪LED ZEPPELIN - BLACK DOG (Drum Cover).mpg‬‏
    No offense to the drummer in that video, maybe I just couldn't hear it, but it seems he left a lot of the kick work out of the song.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 06-30-2011 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Not that I've played it yet, but I reckon after a few listens you will be able to master it. It's not THAT difficult, if you think about it. Well, no song is too difficult. You must persevere and push yourself - you will get it right, I know you will. Just keep on listening. In fact, listening to more Led Zep songs you will get a better feel of the drumming and you'll see you'll be able to play Black Dog quicker.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Smith View Post
    Not that I've played it yet, but I reckon after a few listens you will be able to master it. It's not THAT difficult, if you think about it. Well, no song is too difficult. You must persevere and push yourself - you will get it right, I know you will. Just keep on listening. In fact, listening to more Led Zep songs you will get a better feel of the
    drumming and you'll see you'll be able to play Black Dog quicker.
    Zep is definitely fun to play. I've been learning Stairway as well and I have so much fun with it when it get to the faster, heavier beats. Black Dog, frankly, is still give me trouble but a couple more attempts and I'll at least be able to get the basic beat. Frankly, I'm just not a very experienced drummer (only 6 months in) so I still lack a lot of the coordination and creativity that a Bonham tune commands.
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride

User Info Menu

Zep is definitely fun to play. I've been learning Stairway as well and I have so much fun with it when it get to the faster, heavier beats. Black Dog, frankly, is still give me trouble but a couple more attempts and I'll at least be able to get the basic beat. Frankly, I'm just not a very experienced drummer (only 6 months in) so I still lack a lot of the coordination and creativity that a Bonham tune commands.

Ok I didn't know that You are very talented, though
    Keep up the good work!!
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

No insult intended, but, if you want to try to learn this song by watching drum covers there are probably alot of others on the web that would be more helpful to you than the one above. Quite frankly, you won't learn much from that one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    No insult intended, but, if you want to try to learn this song by watching drum covers there are probably alot of others on the web that would be more helpful to you than the one above. Quite frankly, you won't learn much from that one.
    Well, for somebody playing only 6 months, they could learn a lot from that video. Standard pedagogical principles would state one should never assume what somebody "will learn" from anything. You've obviously been playing more than 6 months .....

User Info Menu

Listen to the song a few times, wait for it- you will realize what the strokes and kick patterns are after awhile. When you start trying to play it, make sure you keep your head together, because Zep songs can get complicated and confusing to most anyone. You may have to take it section by section, so keep the cursor on a time in the song ready to click it at a moment's notice. Use your instincts, your ear will tell you what to do, just listen and respond. You have the potential to be great at drumming, just trust and believe in yourself always.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    Well, for somebody playing only 6 months, they could learn a lot from that video. Standard pedagogical principles would state one should never assume what somebody "will learn" from anything. You've obviously been playing more than 6 months .....
    No disrespect intended, but, I would especially not want a beginner "learning" anything from that particular video.

User Info Menu

Thanks for more advice everyone. With regards to learning from videos - generally speaking, I don't learn much from videos as a whole. More than anything I try to use notation when available paired with a click track set to the correct BPMs. When playing any tunes, I don't really try to 100% copy the original. I try to get the basic beat down and once I do that, the fills and "style" aspect will come fairly naturally. It's always beneficial to have the notation of what the original drummer was doing and I will use it for fills and such, but not all the time since I just find it fun to add my own flair, if you will.
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride

User Info Menu

Thanks for more advice everyone. With regards to learning from videos - generally speaking, I don't learn much from videos as a whole. More than anything I try to use notation when available paired with a click track set to the correct BPMs. When playing any tunes, I don't really try to 100% copy the original. I try to get the basic beat down and once I do that, the fills and "style" aspect will come fairly naturally. It's always beneficial to have the notation of what the original drummer was doing and I will use it for fills and such, but not all the time since I just find it fun to add my own flair, if you will.

That's a very professional mindset you've got there - admirable
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva