Thread: Heads for Gretsch USA

User Info Menu

Default Heads for Gretsch USA

Any Gretsch USA players here have favorite heads that fit well ?

I've had some heads fit really tight on these shells.................but not consistently by model or brand or even size.
    Most Remos are fine...............some of the Aquarians are fine and some are tight.
    Years ago, Evans hydraulics were a good fit but I have not purchased Evans in a long time.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heads for Gretsch USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Any Gretsch USA players here have favorite heads that fit well ?

I've had some heads fit really tight on these shells.................but not consistently by model or brand or even size.
    Most Remos are fine...............some of the Aquarians are fine and some are tight.
    Years ago, Evans hydraulics were a good fit but I have not purchased Evans in a long time.
    Mmmm. . . . . try evans clear g2's or clear ec2's or UV1's coated.

User Info Menu

I do not have a USA Custom but I am surprised to hear that you used hydraulics on it at one time, how did that sound?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Try the new Evans. Now that they're all "360" shoulder design. I think you'll find they fit nice and tune easy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Surprisingly...the best sounding heads I've had on mine were the Gretsch Permatones.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I do not have a USA Custom but I am surprised to hear that you used hydraulics on it at one time, how did that sound?
    Well..........................back in the 70s when the first hydraulics arrived, we were into more of a "thud" with a bit of tone and the blue hydraulics made that easy at the time.....................I don't remember them being a problem with the fit.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I've been using Remo and Aquarian heads on most of my kits and I found quite a difference in design around the area of the flesh hoops (ring that holds the ply to the hoop). Aquarian spot welds the seam and Remo crimps it.

Remo's UT heads (Taiwan) has a closed crimp channel with an aluminum wire crimp while Aquarian uses an open channel with filled with expoy.

There's quite a difference between Remo UT (Taiwan) and Remo USA as far as the refinement at the hoop seam.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Surprisingly...the best sounding heads I've had on mine were the Gretsch Permatones.

all the best...
    I must agree. I resorted back to the Permatone/Remo coated heads that I came with my USA kit.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, the 360 Level collar on the Evans heads may be a tighter fit on the Jasper shells. The Evans Level 360 drops over the edge of the shell much lower than the Remo heads which tends to make it a tighter fit on older shells.

User Info Menu

I edited this short clip on how much play Remo has when it's on the bearing edge:

Remo:

User Info Menu

Here's how Evans fits:

User Info Menu

If I wanted to order some original permatones, is anyone online selling them?

all the best...

User Info Menu

If I wanted to order some original permatones, is anyone online selling them?

all the best...
    I tried looking online but could only find bass drum reso heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I tried looking online but could only find bass drum reso heads.
    Yep. Me too.

I'd love to throw a Perma coated back on my big woody Gretsch snare and the toms.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'd love to throw a Perma coated back on my big woody Gretsch snare and the toms.
    I always thought the Permatone was a coated Ambo with a Gretsch logo stamped on it.
    What's the difference ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I always thought the Permatone was a coated Ambo with a Gretsch logo stamped on it.
    What's the difference ?
    The original Gretsch Permatones by Remo back in the day were a bit oversized compared to it's sister drum head, the Remo coated Ambassador. I have no clue if those standards are still considered for the current version of the stock Permatone head.

7DDE43D5-202F-403D-91C8-A7EB5EFDE693_zpsasxfwak2.jpg

When I had my Gretsch '57 kit that was made in Taiwan, the stock heads were Evans G1 coated and some genetic clear 1 ply reso:

gretsch57c.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 01-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.

User Info Menu

What's the difference ?
    I have no logical explanation to offer. Likely psychological.

I just remember the warmest fattest tones from the drums with those heads.

all the best...