Default Re: Tama Drums Discussion

Well done!!!!

Your S/Cs are lucky to have you.

I realize, I miss an 8" tom.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    So I may have shot a quick iPhone video (gogo rubberband mounts!) of the B/B kit! Enjoy!

Nice man! Those B/B's sound GREAT!!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys- can't wait to actually record with real mics. Their natural tone is sweet, even with heads I'm not crazy about!

User Info Menu

anyone have any thoughts on the Silverstar Accel drivers. just scooped a transparent blue bass drum and floor tom, which is what i play, for peanuts.

very excited, this also marks my transition back to a normal sized set. no more bop 16 bass drum for me, loved the portability and though they sounded decent i particularly started hating the feel of the bass drum.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Silverstars are nice kits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post
    anyone have any thoughts on the Silverstar Accel drivers. just scooped a transparent blue bass drum and floor tom, which is what i play, for peanuts.

very excited, this also marks my transition back to a normal sized set. no more bop 16 bass drum for me, loved the portability and though they sounded decent i particularly started hating the feel of the bass drum.
    Ya, NR is right. They are nice drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I third that, guys! Silverstars are indeed nice sounding drums.

Btw, Special Anthony, those new babies you got? Maaaaaaan!!! Awesome sound! Oh, and the usual nice playing that I'd expect from you of course, lol. Nice, nice score.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    [QUOTE=Drumbledore;556694]I third that, guys! Silverstars are indeed nice sounding drums.

Thanks fella's i was hoping that would be the response rather than a lengthy debate over Chinese manufacture

there to arrive today which has me pyched especially considering the estimated arrival was Sep 23rd! setting up camp on the porch cause Ups can come at any hour, though im sure it'll be closer to 9:00 pm than i care to mention.

anyhow if i remember my photo-bucket password, and there are no issues, i'll have some pics to share with you all!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I'm switching to TAMA after I get a job. I have PDP now and want to switch so I can play TAMA until I die. I mean I'll have other set ups like LUGWIG and DW and MAPEX but tAMA will be my mainstay.

User Info Menu

Played on a StarClassic maple (made in Japan) yesterday for the first time. It sounded ok, but I wasn't overly impressed by the tom sounds though. Both my DW and Peavey kits sounded far better. It was probably due to some old looking Aquarian heads, although they weren't dented. The kick sounded great though.

I'd be curious to hear this kit with better heads and my own tune.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Could you tell if it have the reinforcement rings on the insides of the shells? That will also make a difference in it's sound, but my guess would be the heads. MIJ SC Maples are nothing to sneeze at.

User Info Menu

Could you tell if it have the reinforcement rings on the insides of the shells? That will also make a difference in it's sound, but my guess would be the heads. MIJ SC Maples are nothing to sneeze at.
    Starclassics don't have reinforcement rings. They never have since Tama began the series in 1994.

I have 2 "Birch Series" toms from that era made in Japan.

These are not Performers. They were made just like the Maple Series and have the hand written signatures on the inside.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys- can't wait to actually record with real mics. Their natural tone is sweet, even with heads I'm not crazy about!

B/Bs are the shizzle dizzle!

I love mine to death!

Everyone tells me how awesome they sound when they here them and play them.

User Info Menu

For you Tama lovers here is a great resource for identifying your Starclassic series drums.

http://forum.tama.com/yaf_postst1244...er-Thread.aspx

User Info Menu

I found a floor demo StarClassic B/B 4 pc (no snare) in a Burl style wood grain on clearance for 1099.00.

If I didn't already have my Indigo Burst, it would be sitting in my basement right now.

Currently gassing for .... See the Mapex thread. ROFL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Every SC maple I've ever heard, and it's only been 2 or 3 of them, has sounded excellent.

User Info Menu

While they didn't call them reinforcement rings, and it was optional, SC Maples totally did have the rings:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...t_id=122&now=2

Grizzly Adams Did have a beard (as well)!

User Info Menu

While they didn't call them reinforcement rings, and it was optional, SC Maples totally did have the rings:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...t_id=122&now=2

Grizzly Adams Did have a beard (as well)!

Ah! Good find! I stand corrected!

In my many years playing Starclassics I've never even seen one. Never even seen one with the rings in drum stores or music stores.

Ever!

It's a special order option so it's highly unlikely you'd ever come across one.

Have you?

Also that catalog is from 1997.
    Last edited by AKC75; 09-06-2013 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

I have seen back in the day (99ish) SC Maples in my old store with the rings. This was at Chuck Levins (aka Washington Music Center) outside of DC. I'd agree they were a special order only kind of thing, and the overwhelming majority of kits ordered by stores would not have the sound focus rings. But they exist! And I have seen with my own eyes. It was a Royal Walnut kit, which was what led me to purchase my SC maple 5x14 snare w/air ride in Royal Walnut because I loved the finish so much.

Chuck Levins is they type of store that would order in one of everything though, so it's no surprise that have at least one kit with rings.

User Info Menu

I have seen back in the day (99ish) SC Maples in my old store with the rings. This was at Chuck Levins (aka Washington Music Center) outside of DC. I'd agree they were a special order only kind of thing, and the overwhelming majority of kits ordered by stores would not have the sound focus rings. But they exist! And I have seen with my own eyes. It was a Royal Walnut kit, which was what led me to purchase my SC maple 5x14 snare w/air ride in Royal Walnut because I loved the finish so much.

Chuck Levins is they type of store that would order in one of everything though, so it's no surprise that have at least one kit with rings.

Yea I was browsing through the tama forum and there are a few guys that own some.

You would be hard pressed to spot them in the wild.

User Info Menu

Still don't have the nice camera to take good pics but my cymbals arrived today so here are a few pics of the set with pie's on

User Info Menu

Man those Saluda's really complete the look! But what's this I see? Barely any marks on the heads?! Get playing man!

User Info Menu

Haha yeah it was tough to just sit and play when I had no cymbals lol, I have got some good tom patterns down though hahaha

User Info Menu

They look so sweet. Top quality!!!

Beautiful shells, too.
    Signature here